Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Freeze proof chicken loop for a Flysurfer Peak2?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
pstkk
Medium Poster
Gear: Zeeko, Flysurfer, Taaroa, Horue
Been thanked: 0

Freeze proof chicken loop for a Flysurfer Peak2?

Postby pstkk » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:21 am

Hi

Can anyone of you recommend a freeze proof chicken loop that I can use with a Flysurfer Peak2 Infinity light bar? It has to be able to handle cold temperatures, unlike the loop that comes as standard with the kite.

The one on my Flysurfer Peak2 6m broke yesterday due to the cold. It was -16 C (3 F). The clear tubing had turned really hard and cracked like a piece of glass when I wanted to test the release. The black tube on the safety leash stayed soft.

I know they sell spare parts at flysurfer.com, but all their chicken loops appear to be with the same clear tube and they don't ship to my country in any case.

The loop should look like this: http://shop.flysurfer.com/loop-line-fur ... e-2-0.html so if any of you have used something that looks interchangeable and is usable in cold weather, then please let me know.

The average temperature for around here is -19 C (-2 F) during winter :/
Attachments
foto 1.JPG

Living2Kite
Medium Poster
Gear: Hq, Slingshot, Ozone, Peter Lynn.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Freeze proof chicken loop for a Flysurfer Peak2?

Postby Living2Kite » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:07 am

My Slingshot CL tube looks like that and I've never had it in freezing conditions. I would maybe suggest it would have cracked like that in the middle of summer.

I would contact Flysurfer and insist they rectify this for you asap.

Ebay has loads of tubing in my country.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:00 pm

PVC tubing gets brittle when cold. Usually most kiters aren't out in those temps so for 99% of the users its not an issue. For the few of us that do ride in those temps, things fall apart.

Last year we had the Peak 1 donkey d' snap in the cold. One of our customers had an HQ do the same thing.

Over the years we've taken to using rubber fuel line for replacement material. Not as stiff as PVC and less durable but perfectly useful to sheath a loop or replace a donkey d' with something that works in cold.

crabnebula
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: mount washington nh
Favorite Beaches: Skyline, Utah
Style: in the air spinning
Gear: Ikon, TOBE, Julbo
Brand Affiliation: Ikon Kiteboarding, TOBE, Julbo
Has thanked: 0

Postby crabnebula » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:33 pm

+1 as stated above

However the issue is solved by purchasing a nylon 6/6 ( nylon 66) nylon tuning made in the form of plastic

It is far more superior in temperatures from -65 f to 160 f .

It is a trick for the arctic kiters and here in the mountains of nh where it gets very cold over night

You can find this nylon tubing in many diameters, here is a link as to a place you can purchase the more durable tubing

http://www.usplastic.com/mobile/item.aspx?itemid=23327

pstkk
Medium Poster

Postby pstkk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks for your advice.

Flysurfer shipped me a replacement with black tube similar to what's on the safety leash. While waiting for it to arrive, I tried some of your recommendations.

I was not able to find nylon tube locally and I have to buy a complete roll if ordering online. Instead I got two kinds of black rubber tube from an auto-mechanic. Unfortunately neither of them survived sharp bending after a day outside in the cold. Then tried some clear tube from a plumber and this is working OK so far, despite apparently being made of PVC. The type or brand is "Tubclair AL" and it looks exactly like the original tube from Flysurfer.

By the way, apart from the broken chicken loop, I have otherwise only had a great experience with the 6m Peak2. I just can't decide whether to get the 9 or the 12m next.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:00 am

At 200lbs I find myself either on the 6m or 12m. Only occasionally do I find myself on the 9m.

Our winds are usually fairly high or low. We don't see a lot of moderate wind. At least not this year. :D

pstkk
Medium Poster

Postby pstkk » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:33 am

Hardwater Kiter wrote:At 200lbs I find myself either on the 6m or 12m. Only occasionally do I find myself on the 9m.
Do you find there's enough overlap in wind range to switch from 6m to 12m without being too over/under-powered?

I find the 6m good for wind speeds of 10-22 knots. Even down to 8 knots on hard snow or ice. If the 12m flies equally well, then 6m and 12m should be a fine quiver. It's just that a 100% increase in area seems way too high, at least in theory...

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:50 pm

For the riding we do here its USUALLY enough over lap but just barely. We noticed as did a few of our customers who bought the a full quiver of Peaks that there is a lot of overlap between the 9m and 12m. We found the 6m and 12m are a pretty good combo. As you know the 6m works well in a huge wind range. Especially if you don't have deep snow. This year we have deep snow and the 12m is a work horse but still has a lot of depow. As with any 2 kite quiver there will be days where you find a gap but not many and nothing that would keep you from riding.

Another 2 kite quiver that we've been happy with, for kiters with generally high winds, is the Ozone Access 6m and Peak 2 6m. Never would have imagined a 2 kite 6m quiver a few years ago but it works really well for some people.

We still aren't to a perfect 2 kite quiver but we are pretty close? :D

Return to “Snow / Land”