Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Snowkiting - are people losing interest?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:39 pm

At my local spots (Skyline and Strawberry, UT), I have noticed far fewer kiters. This despite ideal conditions. It used to be that I was always guaranteed to ride with someone if I drove to Skyline any day of the week, but I have had solo sessions in epic conditions. Not sure what is going on?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Snowkiting - are people losing interest?

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Which would be weird, since it looks fantastic.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:00 pm

no. we r stoked. maybe some other reason u dont have the usual crowd.

Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby Noahpz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:08 pm

In Montana, every winter we have a few new faces that are chasing the wind. Increasingly we see kiters who discovered the water season and want to extend that into the winter months, too. In addition we have a few powder-loving skiers and boarders who have joined our ranks to chase the wind and pow.

Obviously, snowkiting is a hard core sport. As you know, not every day is sunny, steady wind and perfect temps. Cold, gusty winds, low visibility, sometimes lonely solo sessions does not appeal to the masses. However for those of us that chase the wind and snow from October to June, the rewards make up for the hardships!

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Been thanked: 0

Postby soul19 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:19 pm

My last few sessions have been solo snow kiting in a foot of fresh powder! It is always nice to ride with other kiters but there is something special riding alone. Dawn patrol, hot coffee in hand and watching the sun coming out is hard to beat. It amazes me how quickly the cold seems to disappear once you start to ride The biggest draw for me is the ultimate freedom that riding on the frozen lakes offer! No concern to the direction the wind is blowing as offshore winds are just as good as onshore!

James

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Starsky » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:20 pm

Winter riding is definitely more susceptible to drop off. There are the people who chase it, and they seldom drop off, but just beneath that level of obsession, its easy for people to go with the instinct to stay warm and cozy. Every winter there comes a time when I drag someone out that hasn't been out in a while and its always the same (providing its a decent session). The stoke right up for a while.

I know plenty of people who will ask me when we are both out where I've been and that they haven't seen me much lately, but that comes down to riding different places all the time and going where the I hope the conditions are best, so there could be a bit of that going on too.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:36 pm

I am no longer interested in snowkiting... especially around SWO. All we have is flat fields or flat lakes, If you are lucky some farmer with a nice hill and good fetch might let you on. I wasted enough time scouting fields and finding the owners to ask permission only to be told no way.... its interesting how many farmers think they are liable if something happens to you on their property.

And its to damn cold!

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteCulture » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:57 pm

boooooo. I'm freakin pumped about snow kiting in SWO… as soon as we get some bloody snow. I'm itching to get out and might drive to the bruce this weekend to get some. Pete, I have lots of awesome terrain scoped out. You just have to either know the right people, or know when to poach a good opportunity.

Kiting in general is a fickle sport. For us Ontario guys, you need decent winds, a sure bet as most locations are a decent drive away, dedicated time away from the family and so on… same stuff winter and summer frankly. The sweet thing about the winter is that I literally have a killer field 50 feet form my house…. we just need snow. The prob I have with winter is that the season is just too short. We have to have snow. It has to be a good base, it has to be the right kind of snow…. bah bah blah. Mother Nature has not been overly kind the last few years. Last year was ok, but all that ice really killed the fields. So - as soon as all the stars in the universe line up, I'll be hitting that field with some force. Hopefully that happens before spring!

Snow kiting isn't going anywhere for me. I'm totally in. LOVE IT. Almost more than water. I just need some of the white stuff

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:10 pm

KiteCulture wrote:boooooo. I'm freakin pumped about snow kiting in SWO… as soon as we get some bloody snow. I'm itching to get out and might drive to the bruce this weekend to get some. Pete, I have lots of awesome terrain scoped out. You just have to either know the right people, or know when to poach a good opportunity.
LOL okay Brian, just know that I will be in the Caribbean next week, and I will not be missing the snow!

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SaulOhio » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:20 pm

There was an entire group that drove up to Presque Isle, Pa from Cleveland yesterday, despite the slushy conditions. Some of them, I didn;t know were interested in the winter aspect of the sport till recently.

Return to “Snow / Land”