Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: foot hooks

Postby juandesooka » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:42 pm

I think foot hooks are useful in choppy high wind conditions, especially when overpowered...man o man, I hate being strapless when overpowered!

They are also useful when learning to do strapless airs. I forgot to mention, a cheap and mostly effective helper for this was to just use regular footstrap, but only screw in the firont screws. It flaps around but gives just enough grab to keep the board locked to your foot in the air.

Thanks for Predator link...I searched in vain a couple years ago...may buy a pair.

Europ2
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Europ2 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:27 pm

You might find this thread interesting called 'Predator Straps' + special attention to the last post. .. meaning that the idea might still pop out in 2015 ....

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:29 pm

faklord wrote:Yep. I'd be interested in seeing more photos of your foot hook mods.
Thanks
Someone on this very forum suggested cutting half of the horizontal part of the Klingon NSI foot hook so I did, I like it much better!
P1010005.JPG
Because there is now less lever force on it I still use 4 screws into inserts but like this;
P1010006.JPG
That held up all 2014 season with many many sessions, although I almost always H20 start and fly strapless, this is just back up.
As I rode my mountain bike today it dawned on me why I like foot hooks so much
P1010009.JPG
P1010010.JPG
The zefal pedal foot hook does it`s job just like the NSI foot hook for KBHFing, just enough contact control but easy to get out of if needed.
I wonder if you could mount a mountain bike pedal foot hook and cover it with a hand sewn neoprene sock, say from an old wetsuit, on a KBHF? :!:
R H

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards

Postby Denisesewa » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:55 pm

Europ2 wrote:You might find this thread interesting called 'Predator Straps' + special attention to the last post. .. meaning that the idea might still pop out in 2015 ....

Somehow I dont think Carrafino is going to come out with anything new, let alone fullfill his previous commitments.

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:30 pm

Denisesewa wrote: Somehow I dont think Carrafino is going to come out with anything new, let alone fullfill his previous commitments.
For 2015, I didn't mean Carafino :wink:

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Arcsrule » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:50 pm

no one has mentioned a foot hook for the back foot. While I am making one for the front, I can also do for the back. would the back foot hook be useable or useless or even wanted at all?

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards

Postby Denisesewa » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:56 pm

Arcsrule wrote:no one has mentioned a foot hook for the back foot. While I am making one for the front, I can also do for the back. would the back foot hook be useable or useless or even wanted at all?
One front and back could be good for board control during water starts, I used front and back on the skimboard and on a surfboard when learning to go strapless mostly for jumping over whitewater and doing olies, it doesnt really get in the way for transitions, obviously the predator's clutter the deck more than the klingon style but are almost as secure as straps, the klingon's require a conscience effort and alot of pressure to jump with.
I am going to put both of my predators on the front of the foil, nothing on the rear, hopefully it wont be long before I am foil riding strapless.

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any
Been thanked: 0

Postby lieutenantglorp » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Arcsrule wrote: would the back foot hook be useable or useless or even wanted at all?
Once positioned correctly, it is a great tactile marker to more quickly return your back foot to the sweet spot after tack/ jibe without having to look down.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:52 pm

3FOOTHOOKS.jpg
3FOOTHOOKS.jpg (62.45 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
Xcelent for wider boards and guys who want to go faster without straps.
I suggest starting with 1 front, if you find you lack board water start control try 2, front and back, and if you have a wider board 2 fronts, and for the full package this great 3 foot hook solution!
R H
Foot hooks for foils just work and are safer for you and your set up!

joyrider1
Medium Poster
Gear: Directionals
Tubekites
Been thanked: 0

Postby joyrider1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:48 pm

I had 19 sessions so far on the foil, the last 11 with the shown DIY front foot hook.
DSC00475.jpg
DSC00476.jpg
Found this aluminum bar in a hardware store : 40cm long, 3.5cm wide, 3mm thick, with several holes in it already.

Strong enough not to break but it still has flexibility. I rounded the edges to prevent injury from these. I modified it a little bit so the screw heads do not stick up over the aluminum surface when mounted.
I bent it like shown at three points which should make a good result for most foot heights. The upper part is 18cm long.
The holes were already in it and they were eventually at the right place to fit the holes of the strap inserts of the board. This way mounting was very easy and the foot hook can be mounted more fore or aft.

A foot strap or similar can be put over the upper part and secured with a plastic covered thread through the hole in front. I usually ride with shoes and had no problems with any injury by sharp edges from the foot hook this way. On the soft pad the mounted bar sinks somewhat into it and is quite even level with the pad surface. Riding barefoot? You might need more rounding of edges...

After some crashes the hook had been bent up but it was very easy to bend it back, even on the water in choppy and gusty conditions.

What I would change: I would shorten the upper part of the bar to about 10cm. The reason I left it at 18cm so far was because this way the used foot strap covered all the metal. I didn`t have the possibility to shorten it on the holiday.

For me this DIY foot hook worked very well. Very easy to release from the board in critical situations.

On the water you can put the front foot a little aft and simulate strapless riding. Also the strapless water start can be simulated the same way.

Just my 02 cents.
Similar use at own risk.

Have fun and ride safe. :bye:

Return to “Hydrofoil”