Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Snowkiting - are people losing interest?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Snowkiting - are people losing interest?

Postby fernmanus » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:28 am

Skullcandy,

Perhaps, you are right. I went to Skyline the other day because I knew the snow quality would be much better than Strawberry (and it was excellent). I have been teaching my children how to Snowkite over the past several years and it is often hard to come up with an ideal day for teaching. A more experienced rider can better deal with super deep powder or marginal wind.

See you in the spring at my favorite little salt pond...

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SaulOhio » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:21 pm

To those complaining that you have to wait for conditions to line up, with just the right amount of snow on the ice, you really need to break out the skis. Ice is no problem when you have a good edge to rise. I get out at Preque Isle every weekend once the ice has set up, unless there is no wind. The surface conditions don't matter so much if you have the right equipment.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:02 pm

Nice vid Saul! You are obviously a skilled rider to be able to go like that on ice :thumb:

What size skis are you on? When I go from patches of snow to ice I don't dare think about trying to jump but you have given me hope. Great to see you making the most of it.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:17 pm

skullcandy wrote:
fernmanus wrote:At my local spots (Skyline and Strawberry, UT), I have noticed far fewer kiters. This despite ideal conditions. It used to be that I was always guaranteed to ride with someone if I drove to Skyline any day of the week, but I have had solo sessions in epic conditions. Not sure what is going on?
I would agree with NHKitesurfer that Snowkiting is more variable conditions and things need to line up better to make it work based on yoru desired style. I would also highly argue "ideal" conditions. Maybe Skyline, but thats a 2.5 hour drive for me so I dont go there. I would argue that its more weather / wind / snow conditions for the 2011 - 2014 drop off. I live in Park City (hence why I go to Strawberry) and the last three years snow fall totals, as you prob now, have been down in Utah. This year is especially bad. I went up to Strawberry yesterday and the wind conditions sucked - the snow was baked out crud and the snow pack is weak. I feel its conditions related - not desire. Hang in there... all we need is a couple storms and the jet stream to cooperate (but feel like Ive been saying that the last 3 season :roll: )

Global Warming?? Who knows.....

But don't worry... Rush lake should be good for water kiting in Early April! :thumb:
This is what I was talking with friends the other day. The last 3 or 4 seasons we 've had rain when we use to receive snow. We very often get snowstorm followed by freezing rain which fuc... the whole setup. Global Warming ? The season has just started to be really nice and we are at the end of january... We will be kitesurfing in April.. snow season is getting shorter every year. 2 years ago I was kiting on the st-lawrence rive on the 16th of december. WE've had people kiting in Lake Champlain at Christmas this year.. GWCC ? looks like it isn't getting any better. Sad cause when I started about 8 years ago we had losts of fresh powder very often.. Hope this is just a cycle bacause kiting in a foot of fresh powder is quite a blast !

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:09 pm

For me the lack of other kiters (solo sessions) has a lot to do with the number of options for snow kiting compared to water. One of my favorite spots for snow is a lake that requires a 1/2 mile hike to get to, which is a piece of cake on ice/snow, but impossible in the summer. The lake has no beach, and no boat access unless you drag your boat for 1/4 mile through the woods and 1/4 mile across a swamp. Great spot in winter, since there are no ATVs, snowmobiles, etc. allowed on the lake.

Other lakes more accessible in the winter as well. As stated before, there are fewer restrictions on the ice due to shoreline issues or wind direction. Offshore works fine on an inland lake.

Don

metivir
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake George
Gear: HQ

Postby metivir » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:00 pm

I have very little input on the number of kiters dropping off. For the last seven years I have never run into another kiter on my local frozen 32 mile lake. The question should be asked is why don't more people want to start up kiting? I meet lots of people that are interested but routinely fail to follow up.
Lazy bastards must like the feel of a chairlift

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:19 am

I hate the chairlift. I always get cold sitting there. When there is no wind, I go backcountry skiing instead. One of the best things about snowkiting is that you are able to move the whole time. Plus, a powder day is truly a power day the entire day, not just a couple runs in the morning, the entire day...

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:22 am

short mini skiis for ice or shallow snow,
I been saying it 4 years,
and if you are stuck with a small field w/ shifty winds,
you need a small to med sized buggy kite
on 4 lines , 2 handles

right tools 4 da right job!

GDTRFB
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: snow
Gear: open and closed cell foils from 3m to 15M

Postby GDTRFB » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:37 am

No loss of interest here. I taught myself to kite in Downeast Maine in 2003 and have been going at it ever since. I can count on two or three hands the number of times I've ever seen kites other than my own (and those are people I know). I'm usually just sharing the lakes with sleds and fishermen. I don't mind the solitude but riding with others is always welcome...and its beyond me why everybody isn't out flying kites. Its just soooo much fun. Beats ice boating and lift served hands down.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Don Monnot brings up a great point. Where we are based we have 40 launch options within a 40 minute drive radius. All the snow kiters I hang out with regularly tend to get the goods at separate locations depending on time constraints and then let each other know where they were and either gloat or cry about how the session was and what the conditions were like.

It's not uncommon to have two kiters here session two lakes just a couple miles apart. And the choices are made by either time constraints or individual tastes in wind and surface.

But on the weekends we all try to get together at some level wherever we happen to be for the day to touch base and ride together.

The thing I like about this thread is it that everyone committed to the snowkiting segment are pretty much into it for the same reasons. Snowkiting is hard, gear intensive and often done in conditions that most would rather not be out in. But for those willing to make the effort and get their snowkiting situation figured out, the rewards are pretty sweet.

Personally, I'm just thankful to be lucky enough to have as many options for riding and to have put in all these years on those options to know where to ride and when. It's so much easier now than it was just 8 years ago to find wind and good conditions. Even when there is no wind in the forecast.

Return to “Snow / Land”