Weight problem

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lander
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Weight problem

Postby lander » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:56 am

How important do you find the weight of the board for hydrofoils?
Remeber on course boards we used to say, that one kg on the board was equal 10 kg on the pilot. Does this go for hydrofoil boards too?
I just got the Taaroa "Full carbon" board, but I find it really heavy. 4,5 kg without straps. I think it will be ok for a regular board, but when you buy the carbon edition, I would expect a much lighter board. How much will I gain if I buy a lighter custom board from a more "professional" shaper ?
Last edited by lander on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Weight problem

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:31 am

I dont know from experience of course...

But the reason weight means everything for raceboards, is because they move when riding ON the water, up and down both when going at speed or for pumping onto a plane.

This swing weight is a catastrophe for performance, especiallly in chop and waves.

That is what we all know from personal experience too, and goes for surfboards and windsurfboards too.

I dont think the same applies to hydrofoil boards.

If heavy they will feel wrong yes, and bad when maneuvering of course.

But for going at speed, I think stiffness is important, and weight might not have any downsides.

Meaning, a heavier board that is more stiff, is faster.
A few designers have said they experienced this too - stiffness improving the top speed even if heavier.

As we ride through the water and not bouncing up and down like other vessels :thumb:

Might be different if big chop waves if going more up and down, but whether it improves speed or the opposite in such conditions is hard to say.

I think (but dont know) stiffness of the board is what matters the most on a hydrofoil, in contrast to raceboards where low swing weight (and stiffness) are extremely important.

8) PF

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:23 am

I once heard Peter Lynn say,
" if it dosen`t break, it`s to heavy"
This is extream of course but has validity.
IMHO, most things that fly do so better if lighter, as long as they don`t break!
Less mass, less inertia, less input for reaction, more responsive.
Kites, bikes, cars, airplanes, helicopters, ect... a lot if things are better lighter to a point. Enter carbon fiber.
I would think that the stiffest, lightest T bar and board would be the best.
My DIYs are heavy, what a joy to test (and carry) a lite stiff KBHF!
Conversly,
Maybe a board with more weight makes for more stability, maybe needed at higher speeds?
R H

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:45 pm

I could build a board that is 2 -2.5kgs no problem it would last 2-3 times out most likely. EPS core /carbon skin, it would heal dent like no other and from touch down the nose would be kissing you in the nose which = unhappy customer. Now I build a 4-5kg board eps core, corecell skins , corecell rails, corecell block for the boxes and inserts. corecell stringer, carbon top and bottom. All vacuum press to get rid of extra epoxy and make it stronger. it will last until you call me and ask for another one = very happy customer.

Now I am trying to get the weight of the boards down with a couple of different processes and we will see what happens. And I'll let you know how I make out.

I have 5 boards to build for my test foils for my team riders and I am going to do them with the new process.

Terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:35 pm

tkettlepoint wrote:I could build a board that is 2 -2.5kgs no problem it would last 2-3 times out most likely. EPS core /carbon skin, it would heal dent like no other and from touch down the nose would be kissing you in the nose which = unhappy customer. Now I build a 4-5kg board eps core, corecell skins , corecell rails, corecell block for the boxes and inserts. corecell stringer, carbon top and bottom. All vacuum press to get rid of extra epoxy and make it stronger. it will last until you call me and ask for another one = very happy customer.

Now I am trying to get the weight of the boards down with a couple of different processes and we will see what happens. And I'll let you know how I make out.

I have 5 boards to build for my test foils for my team riders and I am going to do them with the new process.

Terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com
Hi Everyone,

I used to ride my super light 120 x 55 Boards (2kg) (Used them in all the How to videos) and enjoyed them quite a bit, but they were a bastard to get the hang of. Finding the balance point on such a light board is difficult, and a beginner will have problems.

Since I have started using the bigger boards (4.5kg+) I found that the extra weight gives you a bit of a dampening effect and will make the boards more forgiving.

If you are going to spend money on a custom foil board, you will have to choose if you want strong and stiff, which will last you forever. Or light and stiff which will last you a couple of months and will break super easy if you have a collision. Always remember that the super light boards will offer less dampening when it comes to control.

That all being said. I will deal with a super light board, as my back hurts more from carrying a heavy foil down to the water.

--
Gunnar

Andokite
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard, raceboard, foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Andokite » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:44 pm

... or you can eventually buy a Mike's Lab and get it all in one board: light and unbreakable.

Return to “Hydrofoil”