Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ozone Race Bar saved my life

Postby rocktor » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:10 pm

Reporting from Cabarete, Dominican Republic. I have always flown Cabrinha Switchblades and this year I upgraded to Ozone Edges because I hated the bar pressure on the Switchblades. I got 13 and 9 meter Edges. Today was the first time I took the Edge out and guess what the bridle on the leading edge snapped while I was in waves. Yep! got dishwashed pretty good. Let me begin with the good things,
1. the wind was honking pretty good
2. beautiful sunny warm day (I'm not used to this weather coming from the East coast)
and.
3. The Ozone Race Bar quick release definitely works. Actually saved my life today. And let me tell you, I am definitely keeping the Ozone Race Bar. The depower is very easy, and again the QR works!!! Love it more than the Cabrinha Bars.

What went wrong? Well, like I said the leading edge bridle snapped. I have heard about Ozone making lightweight race kites and with questionable durability but me being a paraglider pilot and having flown Ozone gliders in the past did not believe in those rumors. Anyways long story short, I spent a lot of money on this brand new Edge "upgrade" and now my vacation is at the verge of being ruined. The reason I am posting here is to try to reach out to someone from Ozone who can help me out (I tried registering my product online through their website but it was not working when I left? ) I have contacted the dealer who I bought the kite with but if someone knows of Ozone dealer in Cabarate who can solve this issue for me, I would appreciate it. Any input from Edge riders would be helpful too. Also, is there a way the bridle can be repaired or do I need to find a replacement bridle?
Maybe it was an anomaly today but makes me question about the durability of Ozone kites now.
Thanks folks.
Attachments
IMG_3508.JPG
IMG_3507.JPG
IMG_3506.JPG
Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 17.55.43.png

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Re: Ozone Race Bar saved my life

Postby davesails7 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:40 am

That's too bad! Hope you can get back out.

You should be able to tie another line in there to take it's place temporarily? You can check the bridle on the other side of the kite to get the length, since the segment that broke might have stretched a bit as it broke. I would go with something oversized since you are tying knots in it. I tie in a dyneema line twice the diameter of the existing bridle if it was me.

Are the lines frayed anywhere else on the bridle?

Was the kite hit by a wave at all before the bridle broke?

rocktor
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis

Postby rocktor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:42 am

davesails7 wrote:That's too bad! Hope you can get back out.

You should be able to tie another line in there to take it's place temporarily? You can check the bridle on the other side of the kite to get the length, since the segment that broke might have stretched a bit as it broke. I would go with something oversized since you are tying knots in it. I tie in a dyneema line twice the diameter of the existing bridle if it was me.

Are the lines frayed anywhere else on the bridle?

Was the kite hit by a wave at all before the bridle broke?
I did some research today and unfortunately there is no Ozone dealership in Cabarete. Yes when I checked it, there is another frayed line on the same side which looks like it can break at any point. I mistimed a jump and tomahawked the kite before that happened. Well the waves hit the kite (and myself) good after I pulled the QR. All the shops are closed today so going to have to go bridle shopping early tomorrow to see if I can jerry rig this to save my session.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:15 pm

Splice it back together???

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:10 pm

I feel for you. Should be lots of kiters, ask around, I suspect there is someone there that has the skills set and materials to fix you up. Probably replace that part of the bridle, so you can kite for the rest of your Vacation. Just be sure the repair is solid.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:30 pm

Get your hands on any length of old kite line, bridle material or the like (dyneema 2mm to 4mm) and replace the broken bit by an equal length. Tie figure 8 or palstek.

Bridles are just length of dyneema you know. No rocket science. If there is a pulley involved make sure it runs freely.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:01 am

I know there used to be lots of laser and Catamaran sailing in Caberet as well as kites so there has to be a shop there that has that has some small diameter dynamic or something no scratch that you can use to replace it

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knot_moving » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:03 am

Nothing like using Google voice to try to dictate a text& Anyway dyneema or spectra ...

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knot_moving » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:03 am

Nothing like using Google voice to try to dictate a text& Anyway dyneema or spectra ...

dusta
Rare Poster

Postby dusta » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:18 am

oh here we go. yet another ozone durability question .

Nothing wrong with ozone durability . 2013 or 2015 edges . i have both . Sounds like a freak incident with your gear . Stuff does break , no brand is 100% reliable .

Not sure how the ozone race bar saved your life though . The safety system on the race bar is the same as the contact bar . Push away megatron .

Curious why you went edges for waves ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”