Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Flysurfer Boost

Postby Toby » Sun May 31, 2015 9:42 pm

sounds good !

Happy to hear it is slower! My biggest fear from what I read from other sizes...

What kites can you compare it to? Which did you ride before in that size?

flying_dutchman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, en Ijmuiden
Style: Airstyle en wave style
Gear: Flysurfer Soul 15 and 12m2 , Flysurfer Stoke 12, 9 and 6m2 + Flyradical 6 S
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer Kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0

Postby flying_dutchman » Sun May 31, 2015 10:07 pm

Eey Toby

It was the first time I had my hands on a 18 m kite, I loved the hang time.
But to be honest it was too slow for me, like I said I think I have to change the settings.
Because the infinity bar has 21 m lines and my best guess is that the kite has been designed to be ridden with this line lenght.

There fore I experienced a lot of power from the kite it feels really like a flysurfer foil kite but of course more direct.

I used a Speed 4 one time and didn't like it and this kite comes close to the experience.

If I can speed it up just a little it would be perfect
I can not compare to the Dyno 2011 but I had contact with Zkatez and we're gonna try to get together in the nearby future to test and compare.

I've never flown a Dyno but he has one and hope we can switch kites and check out the differences.

My best guess is that the low end of this kite is way better than the rebel 18 m.
But my fear is that it is too slow.

I'll keep you informed

Probably have to get used to the slow movement of an 18 m as well

flying_dutchman
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Soul 15 and 12m2 , Flysurfer Stoke 12, 9 and 6m2 + Flyradical 6 S

Postby flying_dutchman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:36 pm

Today I tried the kite with outer bar setting and more camber.

And it was exactly right, I could send the kite to 12 with ease and get decent jumps out of it it was something like 14 knots in the morning but I was still able to do board offs.

Even did a new trick today.

Sliding with the kite is also very nice, you can keep on sliding for like ages.
And it gives you a nice pop when you loop the kite.

I still have to get used to the size though, but I really love this kite.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:57 pm

Great to hear!

The right gear makes you land way more new tricks...picking an 18 is the first step, you will see your progression if you go for it!

Enjoy! And looking forward to new comparisons. Great would be against the Rebel 18.

zeroowl
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus 12m 6m
Flysurfer Speed 5 18m 9m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby zeroowl » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:37 pm

Got my few sessions on 18 Boost on this weekend.

I used Cabrinha 24m bar from Contra, so may be it has some issues with it.will try my speed lotus bar next time.
My weight is 78kg.
FlySplit M 134 board.

First session was in 12-18 knots.
Then wind droped to about 10 knots, I was almost alone on the water.

Next day it was 8-12knots.

In 12-14 knots it's amazing airtime, it's slow,so need to edge more to jump higher.
In 18 knots i depowered it a little bit, and was ok, huge jumps, do rotations, very easy to handle.

and on low end, I was expecting more.

My previous "big" kite Was Cabrinha contra 17m (2014) and It's much faster, but less hang time.
And in low end, I was able to ride Contra earlier, probably should learn how to use Boost.

So far, this kite need some learning to enjoy.
Also will try to camber settings, may be it will change something...

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:20 am

Only been on the 13 in average winds (holey winds). Toby it is indeed a relatively slow kite. It had a tendency to back stall, but adjustments if you had more time could have sorted this. I didn't find it as direct as the north dynos/rebel, but one could adjust. That connection between back and front lines wasn't as obvious either, hence steering a little 'sloppy' relatively speaking. Again one can adjust to this. Hangtime was good, no better if anything slightly worse than the dyno's/rebel but still adequate. Lines are much better than that crap north dishes up, but they need to consider a microloop though. Definitely a step in the right direction. Need more time on it really to investigate the above so consider this an early analysis based on limited time on it (winds have not been cooperative).

flying_dutchman
Medium Poster

Postby flying_dutchman » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:22 pm

Hello folks

Today ZkateZ and I got together at the zandmotor, which is probably one the best flat water spots in Holland. Winds were not very strong maybe 14 to 16 knots max

I was on the Dyno for a while and he on the Boost 18 m.

The differences were small, but the Dyno felt more direct to me it was easier to loop, the turning speed is faster. Not like a lot faster but still.

Oh yeah the Dyno was on inner bar setting and the Boost on outer, so maybe still a big difference on that one.

Well anyway it seemed that the Dyno had more lift, but the Boost had more hangtime.
Zkatez had problems with getting air with the kite but for me it was no problem.

I could jump a little bit higher with the Dyno but like I said it sinks a little faster as well.

To be honest I prefer The Boost over the Dyno, because it is more stabile.

Both kites are good but I am happy I didn't buy a second hand Dyno when I had the chance.

Zkatez
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zuid Holland
Style: oldschool
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zkatez » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:58 pm

flying_dutchman wrote:Hello folks

Today ZkateZ and I got together at the zandmotor, which is probably one the best flat water spots in Holland. Winds were not very strong maybe 14 to 16 knots max

I was on the Dyno for a while and he on the Boost 18 m.

The differences were small, but the Dyno felt more direct to me it was easier to loop, the turning speed is faster. Not like a lot faster but still.

Oh yeah the Dyno was on inner bar setting and the Boost on outer, so maybe still a big difference on that one.

Well anyway it seemed that the Dyno had more lift, but the Boost had more hangtime.
Zkatez had problems with getting air with the kite but for me it was no problem.

I could jump a little bit higher with the Dyno but like I said it sinks a little faster as well.

To be honest I prefer The Boost over the Dyno, because it is more stabile.

Both kites are good but I am happy I didn't buy a second hand Dyno when I had the chance.
I cannot really say much after this day and the few runs I had. Love to try it again in better conditions. Conditions where such that It was difficult getting air for me, with dyno too.

Only few things were clear for me now. Boost has more barpressure. Boost more fluent, dyno more direct.
And I felt that Dyno gave more hight/hang on transitions. Dyno already has good lowend, but Boost might even be better. I suspect that you can sail Dyno longer in high end because Boost felt really powerful or was it the barpressure or both? (Bar throw might also have been larger on my barsettings). But did not use the depower strap so can not really tell.
Technic for jumping seems different. So you have to get used to it. It felt like I had to stear kite bit further back or maybe give the kite more imput or time to get up to 12.
Boost indeed more stable.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:55 am

What Dyno guys? 2011? Big difference in years...

flying_dutchman
Medium Poster

Postby flying_dutchman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:42 pm

Hey Westofozzy

I was talkin about the dyno 2011
I think skatez had a point saying that the kite is more built for low end
When the wind picks up a bit it gets really powerfull really soon
So maybe this kite is better for the bigger guys
But I bought the kite for the low end and with little winds I can allready do tricks and practice new stuff because the kite is pretty slow i'm goin to do lot of new shit.

Maybe Toby will like it and it would be the better kite for him, but maybe not.

What ever way it's a good airstyle kite.

Return to “Airstyle”