Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

A new type of longer lasting surfboard design.

Forum for kitesurfers
kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Blade , Griffin, 997 , Bang, Mystic , Skywalker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A new type of longer lasting surfboard design.

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:34 am

Some local brothers here in N.Ireland have come up with a new surf board design that requires no glue. They are made from 100% recycled materials and the new bonding process will massively improve how long the surfboards will last. It's aimed at schools for now but they want to develop this further.

They have already won an award for the design and are now in the semi finals for a Virgin Media invention award. We have had a look and think these guys are really onto something and they really need help with votes to give them the opportunity to win this competition and develop their product further. If you could take two minutes and watch the video in the link and if you like what you see please vote for them. You never know , you could maybe even be using one of their boards in years ahead if it takes off.

http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/pi ... d-company/
Last edited by kitesurfwarehouse on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: A new type of longer lasting surfboard design.

Postby Starsky » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:33 pm

Broken link

SO_FL_Kiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter, FL; Juno Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter Kitebeach, Biscayne Bay
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 15M LF Envy, 12M North Rebel, 11M SS Rev2, 10M North Rhino, 9M LF Session, Airush Sector, Naish Custom Global 6'2", Liquid Force 5'7" FCD, Cabrinha Custom 136, Crazyfly Raptor 132

Postby SO_FL_Kiter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:45 pm

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:39 pm

Nice to see another surfboard company making environmentally friendly surfboards in Ireland. However, the guy claims they are the first in the world to do this. Maybe I missed something but there is a company called ETech that's been pumping out Eco friendly surfboards here in Southern California for a while now. I ordered a "Lost" board to be glassed in Etech about 2 months ago and am still waiting because of their high volume of orders. The video is also not very informative and shows nothing on their construction. Props to the company to being one of the first to go green, however, the video just kind of left me hanging. I wanted to see their process and some of the shapes they are making. Here is a link to the Etech company so you can see what I mean.

http://www.etechsurf.com/about
Last edited by TommyDuotone on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Link fixed.. Thanks

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:52 pm

iblocalsurfer wrote:Nice to see another surfboard company making environmentally friendly surfboards in Ireland. However, the guy claims they are the first in the world to do this. Maybe I missed something but there is a company that's been pumping out Eco friendly surfboards here in Southern California for a while now. I ordered mine about 2 months ago and am still waiting because of their high volume of orders. The video is also not very informative and shows nothing on their construction. Props to the company to being one of the first to go green, however, the video just kind of left me hanging. I wanted to see their process and some of the shapes they are making. Here is a link to the Etech company so you can see what I mean.

http://www.etechsurf.com/about
The world first is the type of glueless bonding they are using of which they have a world wide patent pending.
There is lot more info about Skunk Works om their web page at http://skunkworkssurfco.co.uk/?page_id=23

The video was likely all the time they were allowed for their vote page pitch.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:07 pm

Thanks for the info. But at about the 50 second mark, the guy does say that they are the only company in the world that has a recyclable "soft" surfboard. When they say soft surfboard, do they mean like the soft top surfboards you can can buy at Costco for $100? No way, right?

http://www.costco.com/surfboards.html

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:32 pm

Softboards are softboards "foamies". Anything like this is cool though.

Timbertek by firwire is quite a big deal - it does have a very very light glass on it but doesnt really need it - strong and light wood skinned boards for the mass market.

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:42 pm

iblocalsurfer wrote:Thanks for the info. But at about the 50 second mark, the guy does say that they are the only company in the world that has a recyclable "soft" surfboard. When they say soft surfboard, do they mean like the soft top surfboards you can can buy at Costco for $100? No way, right?

http://www.costco.com/surfboards.html
Fair enough. Maybe he needs to be double checking that one. 8)

I think the differences between these and a costco one will be pretty big though if you check out their site and listen to what they are doing with the construction.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:31 pm

With those shapes, Who cares?

Their smallest shape is over 3.5 inches thick.

Return to “Kitesurfing”