Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GoPro fogging - can't stop it - why does it?

Forum for kitesurfers
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: GoPro fogging - can't stop it - why does it?

Postby POACHER » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:44 pm

Yeah you shouldn't have to do any of that shit...........it's a $400 camera not a $40 Chinese knock off.

I do think there are seconds or blem cases out there too. A bad gasket or some other weird thing could be the problem.

I feel your frustration. I've had a bunch of good footage from really fun trips turn out crappy because of fog on my H1.

If my Hero 4 Silver ends up having problems, I'm done with GoPro. For the premium you pay, I don't think it's a premium product....

blazeheli
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui/ Cocoa Beach Fl
Style: Freeride
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby blazeheli » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:46 pm

Laughingman wrote:
blazeheli wrote:1- charge gopro
2 - wipe the inside of the case and the rubber seal with the lens cloth
3 - put gopro in case and stuff a little bit of tissue in the gap between the case and the memory card
4 - place about 10 grains of dried rice in the gap between the bottom of the gopro and the case.
5 - close the case making sure that the rice or tissue in not in the way of the seal - don't open the case again
6 - drive to your kiting location and film away. The rice needs to spend some time inside the closed case to suck all the moisture out of the air. The tissue is to keep the rice from bumping the memory card and popping it loose if your camera is moving around a lot.

Seems to work every time for me the last few years I have been using gopro - in conditions ranging from snow kiting to kiting in Hawaii. I use both the gopro 2 and the gopro 3 - the rice seems to keep both fog free.
You forgot to add 7 - tap your head and rub your belly counter clockwise
I wouldn't spend a cent on anything that requires this much prep just to do what it is meant to be used for....
It takes maybe 15 seconds. Then it is good to go. It probably takes me 60 seconds to walk out my lines for my kite. Using your logic - that means I would never kite.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:07 am

Hey Toby!

I had the same problem. Was using it for surfing shots, but it would fog up so fast...

A buddy offered to clean it for me. Now it works perfect.

Clean the camera an d the case and let it dry. Set it up before u get to the beach, so it stays clean.

Hope that helps!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:45 am

Try using some Rain X. I heard it works great on glasses...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:47 am

how do you clean it? just with paper?

I even tried the case for the backpack battery, took battery pack out, and put in paper...should have enough air now and the paper to suck it...nope..fogged too.

Have the paper from GoPro to add...nope.

Rice, never did...

Had H1 and now H3.

Thought about buying the 4 for filming, but this is just not ok.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:27 am

Meteorology 101. You at some point have opened the case in a humid environment. Warm, moist air got in there. Then you take it outside to cooler air, maybe dunk it in some chilly water, the water condenses on the inside of the case.

You can try putting the opened GP and case in the fridge then close it up still in the back of the fridge, but the simplest thing is to snag a few grains of dessicant out of one of those packs in a pill bottle. As posted above rice could work, but probably not quite as well.

It's not the cameras fault, it's just what happens when moist air gets in there and you take it somewhere cooler.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:55 am

blazeheli wrote:
Laughingman wrote:
blazeheli wrote:1- charge gopro
2 - wipe the inside of the case and the rubber seal with the lens cloth
3 - put gopro in case and stuff a little bit of tissue in the gap between the case and the memory card
4 - place about 10 grains of dried rice in the gap between the bottom of the gopro and the case.
5 - close the case making sure that the rice or tissue in not in the way of the seal - don't open the case again
6 - drive to your kiting location and film away. The rice needs to spend some time inside the closed case to suck all the moisture out of the air. The tissue is to keep the rice from bumping the memory card and popping it loose if your camera is moving around a lot.

Seems to work every time for me the last few years I have been using gopro - in conditions ranging from snow kiting to kiting in Hawaii. I use both the gopro 2 and the gopro 3 - the rice seems to keep both fog free.
You forgot to add 7 - tap your head and rub your belly counter clockwise
I wouldn't spend a cent on anything that requires this much prep just to do what it is meant to be used for....
It takes maybe 15 seconds. Then it is good to go. It probably takes me 60 seconds to walk out my lines for my kite. Using your logic - that means I would never kite.
That would be a valid argument if you expected your kite to walk out the lines for you when you purchased it..... Seems reasonable for a waterproof action camera not to fog up when being used in the water proof housing that comes with it...... No slight on you, you are a solution finder, I'm just saying when you spend $400 on a camera that is sold to you as waterproof action camera, it should work without having to find solutions on how to make it work.
GoPro is going to have a class action suit filed against them. It is inevitable.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:45 am

Laughingman wrote:I'm just saying when you spend $400 on a camera that is sold to you as waterproof action camera, it should work without having to find solutions on how to make it work.
GoPro is going to have a class action suit filed against them. It is inevitable.

1. It does work. The fogging proves it's waterproof.

2. Not likely as every waterproof cam out there does it. At least with a GoPro it's an easy solution. My cam has no way to get at the lens to clean it off and no where to put desiccant inside it. Double fail.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:15 am

Bushflyr wrote:
Laughingman wrote:I'm just saying when you spend $400 on a camera that is sold to you as waterproof action camera, it should work without having to find solutions on how to make it work.

1. It does work. The fogging proves it's waterproof.

2. Not likely as every waterproof cam out there does it. At least with a GoPro it's an easy solution. My cam has no way to get at the lens to clean it off and no where to put desiccant inside it. Double fail.
If you cannot see what you have recorded waterproof or not, it's useless. That does not pass as working.

If you want to mess with finding solutions for something that should work, go ahead... Me I have had 2 and I will not be buying another or recommending them to anyone...
Imagine I have spent almost $800 on crap... And I should carry rice with me? Lmao that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:29 am

LOL, no the most ridiculous thing I've heard is tossing $800 worth of cameras when a pennies worth of desiccant will solve your issue. But hey, I'll pay for shipping if you want to send them to me for evaluation.

Return to “Kitesurfing”