Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Florida- What are you guys using for Storm kites?

Forum for kitesurfers
ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Florida- What are you guys using for Storm kites?

Postby ORSales » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:38 pm

Do-it wrote:Do you fucking nerds put A fifth line attachment point in the storm? :lol:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

No, but also kind of yes.

If you wish to attach a 5th line to any of our kites you can make a simple Y bridle out of Q Power Line (or, we can send you one we make). Attach the Y bridle to the two inside ("A") attachment points for the kite's bridles where they attach to the LE of the kite and you're off.

One big thing, our kites do not (obviously) rely on the 5th line to be under tension like some others do. As such, you want to set up your 5th line so that it has about an extra inch of play when your kite is at full power (all lines as long as possible).

JZ

(Speaking of Storm Kites - there will be a ton of them in the air tonight locally - check this screen grab out from our local spot. Those measurements are in knots)
Attachments
Screenshot (154).png
Screenshot (154).png (674.03 KiB) Viewed 2019 times

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:33 pm

OR- hey thanks, I've often thought about making a bridal, but wasn't sure what lengths to use. Is it one standard size bridal for all kite sizes, or are they kite size specific? This is great news as I have a five line north bar.... It would be great to use this bar for my razor, I'll just add a two inch leader line to the bridal to achieve a longer fifth line. The addition of the bridal doesn't greatly affect the flight characteristics of the kite, correct?

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:32 pm

Do-it wrote:OR- hey thanks, I've often thought about making a bridal, but wasn't sure what lengths to use. Is it one standard size bridal for all kite sizes, or are they kite size specific? This is great news as I have a five line north bar.... It would be great to use this bar for my razor, I'll just add a two inch leader line to the bridal to achieve a longer fifth line. The addition of the bridal doesn't greatly affect the flight characteristics of the kite, correct?
Do-it - this is a really very basic diagram but it shows what I mean.

Yes, it is absolutely size specific. You want to make sure the 5th line is NEVER under load. The idea is to make a Y bridle that attaches to the 2 inside bridle attachment points on the LE of the kite and then terminates at roughly in line with the 2 front line attachment points. Then, simply attach your 5th line to that Y bridle making sure that with your bar fully powered up (all lines as long as possible, your bar tight against the chicken loop) the 5th line has about an inch of slack in it.

If you need more length in the 5th line, simply make the bottom of the Y bridle longer.

[EDIT] - Front lines stretch over time. If you make this set-up it is uber important that you check your front line length every 3-5 hours of flying time to make sure the 5th line stays slack and does not carry load.

Forcing load to the 5th line will cause the kite to become hard to control and distort. That is obviously a bad thing in big winds....For the record, we are also disclaiming any responsibility if you do elect to do this to your kite :thumb: Basically, if you choose to do so, please be as responsible as possible and remember to check your lines regularly.
Attachments
Bridle.png
Bridle.png (12.42 KiB) Viewed 1930 times

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Postby RedSky » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:13 pm

I use Genetrix Hydra 7m & 9m
Last edited by RedSky on Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Do-it » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:24 am

Thank you- Ocean Rodeo- You have been a great help.This type of customer support paired with your great gear is why customers remain so loyal. :cheers:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:39 am

I know it might be us "Europeans" most likely - but the word "Storm" is simply plain wrong to use :cry:

It must be extremely different in different parts of the world, because around here, the only ones who could misuse this word, are grandma's who thinks its chilly and their hat blows off, when going for a walk in a light breeze :rollgrin:

No media, that being tv/radio weather reports or newspapers, would ever use the word "storm" if it was below 25-33 m/s, or 48 to 63 knots (which is the definition of a storm around here).

And we of all people, as surfers, windsurfers, kitesurfers, should IMO (and know most others here dont agree) know exactly what it means and not misuse this word.

Nobody rides in a storm here - of course a few of us has done it before it kicked in fully, just to do it and for the media attention, but thats it, quite useless normally, and we dont see any storm kites offered by brands, only the usual small kites for high wind.

In a storm a 1½ to 2½ m2 kite will fit for the "sweetspot".
Of course you CAN try to ride/survive with a massively depowered small kite 4-5m2 in the low end of a storm, but have never seen anyone doing it...
The low end of a storm is still 25m/s in average, thus the gusts are massive and much higher, not rideable IMO.

On the other hand, around here a 7m2 is a medium kite, the typical used for waves.
A 6 also used a lot.
The small kites 4½ or 5m2 are used now and then, but in high wind (moderate gale) only, far below the windspeeds in a storm.

Well, for waveriders it is even lower, the 5 and 6m2's are used even in just a strong breeze :naughty:

In CapeTown, 4-6m2 sizes are the most used, almost daily in the waves when summer, and this is nowhere near a "storm", just the regular sideshore thermal winds :lol:

BUT, if you live in an area, say Florida ?, where these sizes are not used as "everyday" kites as in other areas, I can understand why the word might be misused - as it is only when storms appear far away, that they get high winds - so in this respect some might connect using 5-6m2 kites with a storm :roll:

I know now, that different parts of the world use the word "Storm" in a totally different way, or they got a different definition than here in Europe, so just the way it is, but still so odd and confusing to read :wink:

8) Peter

Beachboy
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Beachboy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:46 am

Then get a "Mistral" if it makes you happy. It's a big world out here...

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Do-it » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:51 pm

Peter- Maybe you are misusing the word :o

storm
stôrm/
noun
noun: storm; plural noun: storms

a violent disturbance of the atmosphere with strong winds and usually rain, thunder, lightning, or snow.

I guess hurricanes and tropical depressions are not really storms????

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:06 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:I know it might be us "Europeans" most likely - but the word "Storm" is simply plain wrong to use :cry:

It must be extremely different in different parts of the world, because around here, the only ones who could misuse this word, are grandma's who thinks its chilly and their hat blows off, when going for a walk in a light breeze :rollgrin:

No media, that being tv/radio weather reports or newspapers, would ever use the word "storm" if it was below 25-33 m/s, or 48 to 63 knots (which is the definition of a storm around here).

And we of all people, as surfers, windsurfers, kitesurfers, should IMO (and know most others here dont agree) know exactly what it means and not misuse this word.

Nobody rides in a storm here - of course a few of us has done it before it kicked in fully, just to do it and for the media attention, but thats it, quite useless normally, and we dont see any storm kites offered by brands, only the usual small kites for high wind.

In a storm a 1½ to 2½ m2 kite will fit for the "sweetspot".
Of course you CAN try to ride/survive with a massively depowered small kite 4-5m2 in the low end of a storm, but have never seen anyone doing it...
The low end of a storm is still 25m/s in average, thus the gusts are massive and much higher, not rideable IMO.

On the other hand, around here a 7m2 is a medium kite, the typical used for waves.
A 6 also used a lot.
The small kites 4½ or 5m2 are used now and then, but in high wind (moderate gale) only, far below the windspeeds in a storm.

Well, for waveriders it is even lower, the 5 and 6m2's are used even in just a strong breeze :naughty:

In CapeTown, 4-6m2 sizes are the most used, almost daily in the waves when summer, and this is nowhere near a "storm", just the regular sideshore thermal winds :lol:

BUT, if you live in an area, say Florida ?, where these sizes are not used as "everyday" kites as in other areas, I can understand why the word might be misused - as it is only when storms appear far away, that they get high winds - so in this respect some might connect using 5-6m2 kites with a storm :roll:

I know now, that different parts of the world use the word "Storm" in a totally different way, or they got a different definition than here in Europe, so just the way it is, but still so odd and confusing to read :wink:

8) Peter
Of course you are correct about what a storm is as far the beaufort scale Is concerned.

However the term storm kiting had been around for years and it refers to kiting in rainy/squally/gusty winds typically in the 30 to 50 knot range.

I have seen the term being used all over the world in different forums... so it appears you are in the minority.

What other single word would you use to describe these conditions?

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:13 pm

Over here in Holland it's defined as a storm when the wind is 9bft or over (so 41kn+). 10bft is considered a heavy storm, 11 bft very heavy storm and 12bft is considered a hurricane. People do occasionly kite in 41kn+ in Holland but more common is 8bft with gusts of 10bft (38-40kn wind with 48-50kn gusts).

Return to “Kitesurfing”