Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best non-foil light wind board; directional or twin tip?

Forum for kitesurfers
Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best non-foil light wind board; directional or twin tip?

Postby Séb » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:31 pm

Strekke wrote: Thanks for the feedback - took a look around online but can't seem to find any for sale, and the Axon website and fb seem to be untouched for a while now - are they out of business?
For sure they are still in business, i deal with them since three years as a dealer and we did a lot of demos while we where in Hatteres this last may of this great WTF LW surf board and it is just insane how good it is in LW (early planning, great upwind, super easy to ride) but once the wind pickup if you use a small kite you can still have a lot of fun. Don't try it if you don't need a new LW board :lol: The new boards construction are quite different then what you see on Axon's wewbsite, they are now made in Hawaii instead of China. I have the construction details if you want them, just send me an email and i will send them to you: info@kitexpress.ca
I will receive 15 of theses WTF surfboard this week.

I had a lot of LW boards except foil board because our spot is full of rocks and this is a bit crazy to ride there with a foil. So i had many LW TT but now i am always on LW surf board since three years as it is much better in ultra LW. I had a Nugget, Fone Fish 5'10", RRD KFree 60, tried a Sector 54, had two race boards, etc.. but this Axon WTF is the board i like the most. After a race for LW this would be my pick because it offer so much more then pure LW and i prefer to ride strapless (compare to a race).

Now as for Axon being so terrible with their marketing i told them many times but they are very slow. We have the technical infos about theses new LW surfs (Bulldog and WTF) on our Facebook page since many months but the constructor did not upgrade anything yet ;)

kooshball
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Emerald Isle
Gear: TBD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kooshball » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Thx folks! Lots to consider

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD

Postby herbert » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:50 am

kooshball wrote:Thx folks! Lots to consider
Kooshball,
I think the point is that there is no simple answer to your first question raised in the post...."best non-foil light wind board; directional or twin-tip?" Whichever you choose, directional or twin-tip, you could probably always find or design something in the other category which allows you to go upwind or plane better than your first choice. And then it gets more confusing....an alaia...is considered a Hawaiian surfboard, ie directional. But if it is symmetric and you ride it both ways, is it a twin-tip?

So you don't need to go one way or the other based upon light-wind potential (except perhaps at an extreme). But if you list very light wind capable boards of all varieties...you will most likely want to choose one more on what is fun and rewarding for you to ride. Do you want to go upwind above all else? Ride strapless? Prefer twintip setup? Want better carving ability or more ability to slide and spin? The best thing to do is to try as many boards as possible. Being able to get back to your starting point in super light wind is one thing. Having fun while doing that is an entirely different matter. And you have to define fun for yourself. So, in my opinion, the right question is: What is it like to ride the different types of very light wind boards?

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:20 am

1. Sector 60 - The best lightwind directional

2. Flysurfer Flyrace - Twintip with built in adjustable dagger fin. The only twintip half as good as the sector. I ride with 5 of them, they cant keep up to the speeds of the sector, but they ride in ultra light winds and allow the riders huge boosting

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:27 am

Sweet potato

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:58 pm

I have had excellent results at the low end with the Alias. It points very well and moves quite fast in light wind.

stringy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding

Postby stringy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:59 pm

I rode a 2006 glide for years as my ultimate light wind board. I eventually took off the straps and added a deckpad. this made the ultimate skim board! I have since upgarded when i had mike at MTH boards build me a solid wood core board with same outline as the original glide, but adding a bit more nose rocker to prevent pearling. this board is great for lighter winds and packs out of the way pretty easily since there are no foot straps. I put this in my car first and then my gear on top of it. even though it's on the "bottom shelf", it's ready to go at a moments notice.
I have so many friends now that have removed their straps from their glides and either added a deckpad or wax to the deck.
btw I added some custom slider fins that allow me to track the board, but also break it loose and spin it. they also allow me to ride in an inch of water without grabbing like typical fins do.

here's a video of the board

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Revisiting my Cabrinha 183 raceboard for light wind. I haven't tried it back to back with the Sector 60 but I think it is more efficient.

Return to “Kitesurfing”