RobinC
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing in Rio de Janeiro ?

Postby RobinC » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:49 pm

Hello everyone !

I'll be studying in Rio de Janeiro from next July to February and i'm wondering if I would be able to kite there ?

Are there some spots or is it forbidden on public beaches, and what's the wind like ?
I'll be taking really warmly any advice (even on where to live), as I don't know much about the place :cool2:

Thanks for anyone who'd answer me :)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kitesurfing in Rio de Janeiro ?

Postby Toby » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Rio has some good kiting and quiet some Kiter!

Check http://se.kiteforum.com/spots for the spots.

Check out I think Barra de Tijuca and the lagoon close by...looks like fantastic kiting from what I heard and saw!

KiteBros
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rio de Janeiro, Arubinha, Cumbuco, Ceará in general.
Gear: Liquid force NRG 12m, Slingshot RPM 8m

Postby KiteBros » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:04 pm

Hey Robin!

In Rio there is one main kite spot, which is the begining of Barra da Tijuca Beach, an area most known as Praia do Pepe. Unfortunately windguru or windfinder are not very reliable there.

The wind is a bit choppy and the sea conditions vary widely, from almost flat to 5ft waves (we just had a WCT event there). Best kite size for an 80kg dude is a 11-12m, and a lightwind 15+m would also save many days.

I would try to live nearby, because 1-Its a nice area with subway stations and everything you need; 2-Traffic sucks in Rio; 3-Wind forecast is bad, and a no wind day quickly becomes windy in the afternoon; 4-one of the best beaches and not very crowded.

You are lucky, the wind season is august - february and while in Rio the wind is not so consistent you have great options around 150km/100miles from there (look up Arubinha).

Also, the northeast coast of Brazil has perfect conditions (everyday like a clockwork) from july to january, is much cheaper and definately worth taking a look if you can.

I live up in the mountains, about 4 hour drive from Rio but I kite there quite often. If you have any doubts you can email me at lages.raphael@gmail.com, happy to help.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:01 pm

Oi Raphael!

Can you comment on the temperatures?
Wetsuit needed dec to jan ?

KiteBros
Rare Poster

Postby KiteBros » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:23 am

Hey Toby,

Wetsuit is not needed in Rio, specially in december-january (which is our summer).

Wetsuits maybe good in Arubinha, from august to october, but just for comfort, not really needed.

RobinC
Rare Poster

Postby RobinC » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:37 am

Thank you guys for answering so quickly !

As i'll be coming from France, I won't be taking many clothes to be able to bring my kites, but still won't be able to take all of them :cry:

So Raphael, as you know well the wind there, if you had to choose two kite sizes between 7/9/12/14 M2 ; which one would you pick to be able to kite as often as possible ? Also, do you know if there are shops there where i could rent, and at what price ?

Again, thank you very much, i hope to see you soon on the waters of Rio !

KiteBros
Rare Poster

Postby KiteBros » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:20 pm

Robin,

If you are a woman (+- 60kg) I think 9 and 14 would be the best combo. The wind goes up to 25kn on the best days so you might be a little overpowered on a 9 but still fun and the 14m will get you going in the LW days which are pretty common here. If you plan to go kiting in other spots you might need a 7 tho. You wont need many clothes in Rio anyway, so try to stick the 7 in too 8)

If you are a guy (+-80kg), the 12 should be your main kite in Rio. The 14 wouldn`t be so much of a lightwind kite and I would bring the 9m, specially if you want to kite in other (windier) places.

In Rio I dont know of any kite rentals, as its not a kite destination. Most of the windy places rent kites for approx R$ 60-150 or 20-50 Euros a Day (Kite and bar only), depending on the place and the gear you want. If you can find a rental in Rio, I bet it will be on the expensive end.

Keep in mind that in Rio the wind is not so consistent, and even in the good season, you can expect decent conditions on 2 or 3 days a week, 5 days on a really good week, and usually after 3pm. If you can, I highly encourage you to visit other places, wich are cheaper and offer perfect wind, waves and flat water.

Hope to see you guys soon in Rio!

drealves
Rare Poster
Local Beach: - Barra da Tijuca
- Arubinha
- Praia do Foguete
- Monte Alto
Favorite Beaches: Barra da Tijuca
Taiba e Paracuru
Icaraí de Amontada
Prea/Jericoacoara
Style: Freeride/Wave
Gear: North Evo - 8m & 11m 2015
Slingshot RPM 8m 2012

Postby drealves » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi Robin,

Like Kitebros I'm also a kitesurfer from Rio, In my opnion the best quiver you can have in Rio would be with your 12 and a 9.
Barra da Tijuca is the most famous spot in Rio, and sometimes it got really crowded. there is an app called rio ao vivo its also a website http://www.rioaovivo.com/ where you can see how is the location in real time.
At windguru if the wind is at the correctly position, NE or E and showing something highter than 9knots just go to the beach cause you will have a good session.
Its good to take some money and go dowinding, aprox 5 km from Pepe to POSTO 6 facing some waveriding and taking any bus to get back to PEPE, I love it and sometimes I do that 3 or 4 times in a row.
Cabo Frio and araruama should be visited, you have perfect conditions, google for PRAIA DO FOGUETE CABO FRIO, PRAIA DO FORTE CABO FRIO, PRAIA GRANDE de ARRAIAL DO CABO and ARUBINHA. its really beautiful and you must go. send me a private message than u can meet here and kite in any of this spots.

Barra da Tijuca

Cabo Frio - Foguete 1

Praia do Foguete 2

drealves
Rare Poster
Local Beach: - Barra da Tijuca
- Arubinha
- Praia do Foguete
- Monte Alto
Favorite Beaches: Barra da Tijuca
Taiba e Paracuru
Icaraí de Amontada
Prea/Jericoacoara
Style: Freeride/Wave
Gear: North Evo - 8m & 11m 2015
Slingshot RPM 8m 2012

Postby drealves » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:31 pm

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/131207789[/vimeo]

Video filmed at Barra da Tijuca

About the water
Rio is really hot, but the water some times gets really cold Wetsuit is needed some days, in barra da tijuca you might need a short wetsuit until october, and in Arraial do Cabo and Cabo Frio the water is very cold specially during summer, CABO FRIO means cold cape, beacuse of its cold waters.

nick14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: rosebud, st kilda, brighton
Gear: 2014 naish park 12m
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly

Postby nick14 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:13 am

Hi Guys,
I'm off to Rio from the 14th August till the 23rd. I'm going to take my kite gear and have read the thread so will probably take my 8 and 11m.
I do have a question in regards to if it is safe to leave kite gear on the beaches at the various beaches mentioned or are there facilities you can store gear at. I'll be traveling on public transport and for at least 1.5h to the kite spots so I would probably take both kites. Any advice or anyone up for a kite around then?

Also http://www.rioaovivo.com/ isn't working is there another site?

Cheers
Nick

Return to “Travel”