Forum for kitesurfers
Lmrutledge
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Drift Launch kite off Back of Anchored Catamaran

Postby Lmrutledge » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:17 pm

Anyone have any experiences Drift/Launching a kite off the back of one of the Big Catamarans like a 48 footer while the Boat is anchored with the Nose of the Boat anchored into the wind?

Thanks

i96dansa
Rare Poster

Re: Drift Launch kite off Back of Anchored Catamaran

Postby i96dansa » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:30 pm

Use the dingy

Lmrutledge
Medium Poster

Postby Lmrutledge » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:41 pm

Pump the kite in the Dinghy and lunch? Good idea.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:43 pm

the enable passion team did this for 2 or 3 weeks, fillippo van hellenberg hubar, camilla ringvold, max blom eric pequeno (eric little), dennis gusbers and ike frans

try to find one of those guys on facebook, I'm sure they could give you an earfull about launching from a cat in the open ocean and if I remember the blog correctly yes they used the dinghy most of the time to do the launch.

Lmrutledge
Medium Poster

Postby Lmrutledge » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:07 pm

I was thinking more of hooking the bar onto back of the boat letting the lines drift out and then placing kite face down and letting it drift out until lines are tight.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:11 am

I say you throw the kite off the back of the boat, then drive the boat a little ways until the lines are stretched out, and then launch the kite. Kind of like a drift launch but with the help of a boat

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:30 am

I've wondered about doing this from the back of a beach cat, like a Hobie 20. Never tried it, and now I no longer have the cat. A bigger (ocean cruising) cat would give you more room to pump up the kite, but I don't think I'll ever be able to afford one of those.

Don.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:53 am

Have you guys never done a drift launch? This is very basic stuff... Teather the kite to the back of the boat leading edge down like it sits on the beach. Unwind your lines allowing them to drift under the kite. Once done, undo the teather, lift the kite up make sure there are no lines passing on the inside of the bridal. Hook in, let the kit go... Give it a light push off to one side so the wind will catch a wing. Be ready to eject if things do not work.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:59 am

Laughingman wrote:Have you guys never done a drift launch? This is very basic stuff...
Agree with Laughingman. It's just a drift launch. Same from a boat as standing in water off a beach.

Bhwillia
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 2006
Favorite Beaches: Skyway
Style: Hook in and hang on!
Gear: Wheeler Wings Gull 20 & Hammerhead, BRM Paipo, Wow 12, BRM CCS,Best Chubby, Sector60v2, MHLLift, ozone edge 19&13, LF Solo 17.5, 15, 12, 9, 6.5

Postby Bhwillia » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:17 am

While my boat is smaller, 90% of my launches are from the back of an anchored boat. Assuming kite rigged (my lines never come off except for tuning every couple of months), 1) flake lines carefully into water letting current/wind take them downwind (yes, they can tangle); 2) clip chicken loop to short line off a stout stern cleat (to avoid bar getting caught on stern or cleat or fishing rod holder) 3) pump up kite ( I use a bravo battery electric at the stern of my boat, but started with standard kite pump, as electric pump allows more attention to kite and lines - I've tangled them around the throttle, rod holders, etc); 4) leading edge down, let kite drift downwind. 5) I normally launch kite while still attached to boat (I am hooked in, but also chicken loop clipped to stern leash) - standing on the stern, grab board and go.

I reverse the process to collect kite. Sail to stern leash, hook to chicken loop, land kite, recover board, then kite. In deep water, this is slighty more cumbersome, but swim kite to boat, deflate and then haul aboard. Now wrap lines carefully once kite brought to boat so ready to go next launch.

I can normally be launched and riding in less than 10 min! NO SAND!!! (WARNING - Anything that happens on land can happen with boat launches - I have bent a bar, ripped off 2 rod holders and flaked out lines that I had tangled leaving a fully powered kite 75ft downwind that was not following the plan. But I have increased my kiting hours significantly. Anchoring over sandbars makes this process a bit easier, but is not required.) Enjoy!

Return to “Kitesurfing”