Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha struts fix

Forum for kitesurfers
Megabear
Frequent Poster

Cabrinha struts fix

Postby Megabear » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:15 pm

anybody know How do i fix theese there three components togethers on a cabrinha switchblade strut?

Thanks,
Attachments
image.jpg

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha struts fix

Postby fogmeister » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:41 pm

1 put that sleeve on hose....but back a bit so you can put hose into male plastic piece
2 when hose completely on plastic piece push sleeve right up while pulling the rubber hose to stretch it and make it thinner so sleeve can get on

...hope that makes sense

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:42 pm

6 minutes into the video.

Megabear
Frequent Poster

Postby Megabear » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:48 pm

Ahh.... Thank you ! :thumb:

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:46 pm

I might add using zip ties instead of the cheap plastic clamps. :thumb:

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:27 pm

Ditto. Those clamps are garbage. Use zip ties. Pull them tight with pliers. Then use a razor blade to cut the tail off PERFECTLY FLUSH with the lock. It's important to not leave a little sharp bit on the tail like cutting with nippers will.

Candleflame
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Southeast England
Gear: Cab. Switchblade

Postby Candleflame » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:54 pm

mine just broke the other day but fortunately cabrinha sent a replacement with the kite. :-?
I can see how cable ties would do an exellent job though.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:31 pm

Candleflame wrote:mine just broke the other day but fortunately cabrinha sent a replacement with the kite. :-?
Yeah - I think Cabrinha re-enforced the clamps and strut to LE connections on 2015 kites. Its not terrible but what was happening was on a tomahawk crash the pressure would possibly loosen or sometimes pop the whole clamp off. If the clamp loosened, the air pressure in bladder would get low causing erratic flight. If the clamp came off on the LE side, the bladder would lose air (assuming strut pinched off) completely. Zip ties totally solves the problem, but IMO this should not happen in the first place. I would advise anyone riding deeper out to reinforce their Strut to LE connections on 2014 and older cabs with zip ties.

I also noted on one of my 2014 Vectors the rubber hose on the center LE to strut connection was 1 inch shorter than it should of been. So when it stretched it leaked air (Air pressure always finds the weak point). This explains why it passed the "over night pump up test" that most brands do ensure they hold air before they get sent out into the market - the kite wasn't flopped around in real conditions to expose the weakness. When I took it apart I saw the hose was, short, cut terribly (not flush). So I used some replacement hose to true it up to the right length, nice flush cut, then zip ties to reinforce. No problems after that fix.

Credit to Cabrinha and their dealers tho... When I noted the issue they sent me out replacement parts, advised the zip tie fix, and admitted the possible causes when I showed them some pictures.

Candleflame
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Southeast England
Gear: Cab. Switchblade

Postby Candleflame » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:58 pm

cant confirm that. on my 2015 switchblade the ring broke the other day midflight (probably after impact on the water). The kite lost air slowly and steadily and I pulled the QR after a few seconds.

cant say that there is any difference to the 2014 kite.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:47 am

skullcandy wrote:
Candleflame wrote:mine just broke the other day but fortunately cabrinha sent a replacement with the kite. :-?
Yeah - I think Cabrinha re-enforced the clamps and strut to LE connections on 2015 kites. Its not terrible but what was happening was on a tomahawk crash the pressure would possibly loosen or sometimes pop the whole clamp off. If the clamp loosened, the air pressure in bladder would get low causing erratic flight. If the clamp came off on the LE side, the bladder would lose air (assuming strut pinched off) completely. Zip ties totally solves the problem, but IMO this should not happen in the first place. I would advise anyone riding deeper out to reinforce their Strut to LE connections on 2014 and older cabs with zip ties.

I also noted on one of my 2014 Vectors the rubber hose on the center LE to strut connection was 1 inch shorter than it should of been. So when it stretched it leaked air (Air pressure always finds the weak point). This explains why it passed the "over night pump up test" that most brands do ensure they hold air before they get sent out into the market - the kite wasn't flopped around in real conditions to expose the weakness. When I took it apart I saw the hose was, short, cut terribly (not flush). So I used some replacement hose to true it up to the right length, nice flush cut, then zip ties to reinforce. No problems after that fix.

Credit to Cabrinha and their dealers tho... When I noted the issue they sent me out replacement parts, advised the zip tie fix, and admitted the possible causes when I showed them some pictures.
Actually, the newer 2014-15 kites would appear to have this issue where a hard crash causes the Sprint inflation to disconnect. For what ever reason, the Sprint inflation valves have become rounded off so they don't grip the rubber hose as securely. Older models have noticeably sharper grooves on the valves which holds the rubber hose tighter and the snap collar works with no issues. Initially we though it was the rubber hose but after seeing several kites that the sprint has come apart, it would appear to be the valve.
The new Cabrinha FX has factory installed zip ties replacing the collar. Cabrinha has been excellent to deal with on this issue. My personal kites, Drifters and Contra's have not had any issues,all 2015.

Return to “Kitesurfing”