chalks
Rare Poster
Local Beach: UK south coast
Gear: Alpha 12m; Reos 5, 7 and 9. Surfboard and Moses foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Do I need a 5m kite- 70kg rider

Postby chalks » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi All,

Along the lines of a previous post, I have been offered a good deal on 5m kite but am hesitating- do I really need one? I can hold down my 7m until around 30kts, depending on conditions but am wondering whether a 5 would be worth having as I am starting to get into riding a strapless surfboard.

Any thoughts, especially from riders of a similar weight?

Thanks.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Do I need a 5m kite- 70kg rider

Postby Starsky » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:29 pm

I'm close to 80 kg and go down to a 6m for strapless riding in high winds.

At your weight, a 5m is definitely in the cards if you want to be comfortable strapless in winds up around 35 knots.

A couple things to help you decide.

Small kites last a long time because they just don't get used that often unless you live in a really windy place. They are the kite you turn over the least in your quiver.

Riding strapless in high winds is way more relaxed and fun and generally safer on a kite that is slightly too small than slightly too big.

Small kites are easier to find deals on than big kites.

Though they don't get used a whole lot, it can be torture to decide its too windy and miss out because you don't have a small enough kite.

peppers
Rare Poster
Style: wave
Gear: whatever
Been thanked: 0

Postby peppers » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:33 pm

depending where you live and what are the conditions. I am riding strapless and usually take 2-3 m2 smaller kite than others on TT. I weight 73 kg. I rig 5m2 when it is blowing 26+ kts.

kooshball
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Emerald Isle
Gear: TBD
Been thanked: 0

Postby kooshball » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:40 pm

Point of reference: I weigh 65kg and get on my 6m at around 25-28 kts on a twin tip. Riding strapless as a light weight rider I would think you could be on a directional with that 5m in sub 30kts, so yes it would make a good addition to your quiver

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:41 pm

chalks wrote:Hi All,

Along the lines of a previous post, I have been offered a good deal on 5m kite but am hesitating- do I really need one? I can hold down my 7m until around 30kts, depending on conditions but am wondering whether a 5 would be worth having as I am starting to get into riding a strapless surfboard.

Thanks.
I think the question here is do you want to "hold down" your 7 or have fun on a 5? And how often do you find yourself asking that question?

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:49 pm

I'm 70kG, ride strapless and have had the same 5m for the past 5 years but only use it a handful of times per year. I don't really enjoy riding strapless when the wind is over 25kn and would rather just switch to my twintip and go jump big on the 8m. 90% of my sessions are on my 8m and 11m and 50% of my session are strapless. The 5m is worth having around if the wind blows 25kn+ for many days in a row and the waves are looking sweet.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:42 pm

You don't need a 5m at 70kg if you only ride a twintip, you should be able to hold down the 7m till gusts of 45kn. If you are into riding strapless then a 5m is a good buy for strong winds.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:40 pm

More of what others have said already. I'm 72 kg and my quiver is 5-7-10. I barely use my 5m but I have it because on those rare 5m days the waves are what I'm after.

If you are happy just switching to a TT and boosting with the 7m then you wont need a 5m but for me it would kill me to be out in those waves and not surfing them.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:29 pm

chalks wrote:Hi All,

Thanks.
YES, it will be your best purchase for sure, when you are getting into riding surfboards :rollgrin:

I agree fully with what Starsky writes, except that with 70kg if you got typical low pressure wind systems, you WILL use the 5m2 quite a lot IMO.

It will start working around 23-25 knots for your 70 kg.

I am 77kg and use 5m2 quite often, although the 7m2 is the most "worn" for waves.
The 5m2 I use from around 24-25 knots on a waveboard :D

It is easy to go upwind with a slightly underpowered small kite on a waveboard, and waveriding down the line is top, feels free and unstrained - but it is HORRIBLE to ride waves if slightly too much kite, when we are talking 5-6-7m2 kites, as simple as that.

Almost the opposite goes with a TT, here you rather be on the powered side, than slightly low.

So because you are heading for the real deal (riding waveboards), it will be your best purchase ever IMO :thumb:

8) Peter

chalks
Rare Poster
Local Beach: UK south coast
Gear: Alpha 12m; Reos 5, 7 and 9. Surfboard and Moses foil

Postby chalks » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Thanks all, really appreciate the responses.

As I aspire to ride surfboards, I think that a 5m will have to be added to the quiver!

Return to “Kitesurfing”