Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pittsburgh PA, Trying to get into Kiteboarding!

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Pittsburgh PA, Trying to get into Kiteboarding!

Postby edt » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:56 pm

nosurf wrote:yeah Presque Isle is fine for commuting for sure. Ill have to keep an eye on the winds over the next couple months and see what happens. I go to the beach fairly often still for someone land locked so maybe next time im in socal ill give it a go. kiteboarding on a snowboard is probably out for me...i have the medical records of a 90yr old from my snowboarding days...best i leave that stuff alone lol
I use knee pads, butt pads, elbow pads, helmet and wrist guards when I snow kite. Just gear up properly you'll be ok.

Good luck! If you do learn how to kite I doubt you will stay in pittsburg :-)

BigR
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BigR » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:28 pm

nothing to see here
Last edited by BigR on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:59 pm

I've kited at Presque Isle a couple of times while passing through. Seems like a decent spot with nice beaches & exposure to quite a few wind directions, for SW to NE. I'm not sure if there are any restrictions on kiting access - there must be other people kiting there regularly who could tell you. Erie gets pretty warm in the summer. The best winds will be in the fall when the water is still quite warm.

Learning to kite in the winter is a good idea - you'll need to find a snow covered frozen lake or open snow-covered fields. I'm assuming the bay at Presque Isle freezes solid every winter - that might be a good spot for winter kiting also.

http://kitesurfingbuffalo.blogspot.ca/2 ... le-pa.html

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach

Postby DocDeuce » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:22 pm

From Pittsburgh myself... Live in Charleston SC now. I think that presque isle would be great for kiting. I used to windsurf there all the time when I was young. I would check with any of the sports outfitters up there to see what the kite community is like.

DD

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Have you considered kayaking? There is probably some good whitewater around there and you'll get a similar fix. Find the streams/rivers. You might even find a good crowd running them on inflatable SUPs. I guess that and mountain biking may give you a fix local. But I know that doesn't' answer the mail...

Head out to the Chesapeake Bay when the forecast is good. While maybe not a weekend kiting destination, we do get out a good bit. You can also make a weekend of it and head to the beach (Dewey, DE) which isn't an offensive drive for you...leave Thursday or Friday night, stay for the weekend, etc. You will find lessons and shops supporting you there. I haven't done the math on Jersey shore vs. Chesapeake, but something to consider.

The Great Lakes posts above may be more help. Good luck and post what you find works out for you! :thumb:

rmaxwell
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: kitepoint
Style: intermediate

Postby rmaxwell » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:27 pm

I live in the Pittsburgh area and kite. It isn't easy, but I watch the wind forecast and head to Hatteras for the weekend. It is doable if you can schedule your trip as to avoid traffic. Don't go through Washington D.C. and don't attempt to do it on a summer weekend due to vacation traffic.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:20 pm

I Googled :
kiteboarding lessons lake erie

And found a few schools that are less than a 4 hr drive from you.
Erie Pa , is a 2-hr drive from you.

I would research this a bit More ; if i were you , (perhaps a more Local forum ?).

Bille
Last edited by Bille on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:42 pm

Bille wrote:

I would research this a bit More ; if i were you , (perhaps a more Local forum ?).

Bille
bille I don't think you understand just how desolate it is up here. yeah there is red sky in toledo and there is lake erie kiting in buffalo but usually when im on lake erie I wont see anyone for days. check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1RwRLWfrxI I think there's nothing wrong with getting a lesson in Hattie. I know mark from red sky reads this forum maybe he'll teach a lesson. The last comment on Mark's local forum is from July. so yeah local forums only if you are willing to wait a few months for a reply.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:57 pm

edt wrote:
Bille wrote:

Bille
bille I don't think you understand just how desolate it is up here. yeah there is red sky in toledo and there is lake erie kiting in buffalo but usually when im on lake erie I wont see anyone for days. check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1RwRLWfrxI I think there's nothing wrong with getting a lesson in Hattie. I know mark from red sky reads this forum maybe he'll teach a lesson. The last comment on Mark's local forum is from July. so yeah local forums only if you are willing to wait a few months for a reply.
Thanks for the reply ; i altered my post to take out any cynicism .

The drive to Mohave, is 1.5-hr each way ; but there are people who are
also kiting, most every time i go. I see how important a support group is
now ; sometimes i take that for granted, (i won't do that anymore) !

Bille

BigR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigR » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:44 am

Maxwell check pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”