Local Beach: Catch-22, San Carlos, Mexico
Style: On a bicycle or on a board.
Gear: 9m LF Envy w/146cm Edge
Brand Affiliation: www.letsridebikes.ca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fine tuning my FS Pulse2

Postby letsflykites » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:33 pm

I just bought my first foil kite, a Flysurfer Pulse2 and I had some questions that I was hoping people could help answer.

1) How can I get it to turn faster? I guess I could shorten the lines by 3m, or even 6m but then how would that affect the wind range?

2) Is there a way I can replace the ELC's? I'm so afraid of losing one of these tiny metal line connectors.

Thanks, and see you out on the water!
Attachments
20150902-DSC03822.jpg
Foil kiting on Keho Lake, Alberta

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Fine tuning my FS Pulse2

Postby naishdude » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:07 pm

letsflykites wrote:I just bought my first foil kite, a Flysurfer Pulse2 and I had some questions that I was hoping people could help answer.

1) How can I get it to turn faster? I guess I could shorten the lines by 3m, or even 6m but then how would that affect the wind range?

2) Is there a way I can replace the ELC's? I'm so afraid of losing one of these tiny metal line connectors.

Thanks, and see you out on the water!
I think the safest and best way to do this , is contact Flysurfer through their website...they surely will answer and advice you to the best of their abilities, they are very customer orientated!
(ps l do not fly flysurfer..........anymore) but just contact them for trim 'options
cheers
Dude :cool2:

Life_Is_Awesome
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Keho, Alberta, Canada
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Life_Is_Awesome » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:18 pm

Hey - I'm from Alberta too and ride at Keho all the time. I wouldn't shorten your lines. To tune up a Pulse2, given that it's an older kite and must have some time on it, you should do a mixer test and look at whether it's time to replace the pulley lines. On that model, turning is better if you pull in the bar enough to take out the slack in the back lines when cranking the bar.

Yes, you can replace the ELCs. You'll need to order some replacement A-Main lines from FS. Tom Couture can get them for you easy enough. Actually, I did the same on a Speed 3 not long ago.

Send me a direct message and we can connect at the lake sometime. I can help you out with the tuning.

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:44 pm

I ride Pulse 2's purely for surfing. Their a great kite for wave ridding because of their stability. But the suck for turning. For me, believe it or not, but I reach up and pull on a ball up the line so that I can pivot my kite while I'm bottom turning. Works great, but not conventional at all. I'll also do this ocassially while jibing. I don't believe you can tune in better steering. It seems like your stuck with a stabile slow turning kite.
As others say. Do mixer test and be sure to check and replace the tip lines on the Pulse. They can streatch and maybe affect turning. But certainly wear.

As far as the ELC's I kinda like them. They make sorting lines on the beach easier. Just pop them in your mouth! Perfect.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:45 pm

What size kite? 10M? The smaller kites are ok to shorten the lines, but the larger models, you'll want the length so you can still loop the kite. If you can't easily loop the kite, then the line lengths are too short imo.
Sure you can replace ELC's, and just loop the lines together. Then working from the mixer, you can larkshead onto your leader lines.
For the mixer, you'll probably want A=B=C=Z (stock) for optimal turning speed. Check all lines that go through pulleys/rings, as they tend to shrink (exchange or add pigtail to bring back to stock length). Check each individual bridle lines for shrinkage and bring back to stock. Lines that are not under as much tension tend to shrink faster (B,C).
Regarding turning speed, I think the best thing you can do is get a bigger bar. The other thing that will help turning speed is a pulleybar. Lou Wainman used one on a 6M psycho3 I believe. I tried it and it works great, I'm surprised other people aren't riding flysurfers like this.
http://www.foillia.it/public/forum/inde ... -psycho-3/

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:05 am

When I had 8m Pulse2 I replaced stock 50cm bar with 60cm infinity bar which I had as an extra but still keeping the trim as standard meaning equal line length at kite end at full power. I liked how kite flew the turns with standard 21m line lenghts. On the video I mean the second turn (kite loop) and I still could fishpole for even better turning. The first turn is on transition and is slower to sync to my turning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmOq9XqdGnI

On ELC replacing you would use rings, pig tails etc. But I never lost single ELC.

Return to “Foil Kites”