Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How big is Kite Hydrofoiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How big is Kite Hydrofoiling?

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:54 pm

mig27 wrote: At this moment hydrofoiling IMHO is for the average Joe kiteboarder a bridge too far!
As an average Joe I'm rather hoping that the latest group of easy freeride foils will mean this isn't the case. I just might have to persevere a little longer to get there (I remember it took months to learn to windsurf when you just turned, up put kit in the water and then tried to figure it out by copying everyone else around you - if only I had known then that half of them didn't have a clue either).

I kite in the same waters as crazysurf (albeit on the other side of the water) and there are a lot of foils out on the water - the last time I went out in strong winds (powered on my 7m) there was even a guy hydrofoiling in the mushy chop we get so its not just the light winds that people are out here.

Anecdotally, I went down to the beach last weekend hoping to get some first foiling practice and the ONLY other people at the beach were two guys - one with a foilboard and the other with a safety boat to help him learn. The forecast was wrong and the wind was too light but... there are plenty of people checking it out.

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby IanNJ » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:16 pm

In Jersey Kite foiling is growing quickly. Last November I learned and to my knowledge there were about 3-5 guys in the state foiling. one year later I know of about 15 guys.

Yes foiling is expensive but it is the same price as a 17m and you can get WAY more use out of it. I know of a bunch of guys in this area that will be foiling in the next few years for sure. People are starting to see that it really comes down to more rideable days.

I personally reserve foiling for light wind or really up and down conditions. If I can be powered on a 12 and my surf board I don't foil. but there are lots of days that 9-12mph is calling my name with my 13 Velocity & Foil.

I believe that it is a fast growing market for sure.

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:35 pm

ROLAVI wrote:I find I get a lot of negative reaction on foiling from other kiters not doing it yet. It is like they are pissed at my foil face which is comprised of a big grin. :D

It normally comes from a twin tipper on a 14m struggling to kite in light winds or the same guy mowing the lawn on a 14m in more moderate winds when I am on a 10m or 8m with foil buzzing around with a big smile.

One of these guys that used to talk shit about how dangerous and boring it was just got a foil...it happened to be a day that I was on a 10 and he couldn't stay upwind on a 14! :rollgrin:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:49 pm

IanNJ wrote:If I can be powered on a 12 and my surf board I don't foil.
I think the foil is going to save my fish..... and probably my knees a great deal of wear and tear.

I think you speak for a lot of people with your last post and the foil will be "mostly" for the light end of the spectrum with occasional higher wind days to cope with stuff like voodoo chop or really gusty winds.

Incidentally, my fish was by far my most used and abused board for the last..... well, since I got it 4 or 5 years ago. Since getting a foil.... it hasn't been out of the bag! I kinda feel sad about that....... well not that sad!

ROLAVI
Medium Poster

Postby ROLAVI » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:53 pm

IanNJ wrote:
ROLAVI wrote:I find I get a lot of negative reaction on foiling from other kiters not doing it yet. It is like they are pissed at my foil face which is comprised of a big grin. :D

It normally comes from a twin tipper on a 14m struggling to kite in light winds or the same guy mowing the lawn on a 14m in more moderate winds when I am on a 10m or 8m with foil buzzing around with a big smile.

One of these guys that used to talk shit about how dangerous and boring it was just got a foil...it happened to be a day that I was on a 10 and he couldn't stay upwind on a 14! :rollgrin:
IanNJ,

I think we met the other week in Hatteras at the lighthouse. While I would enjoy the surfboard in waves I am so addicted to progressing my foiling right now I have a one track mind.

Rob

Jollydriver
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mid-Atlantic
OBX
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Dewey Beach
Style: Freeride & Progressing
Gear: Cheap, On Sale, or Used

Postby Jollydriver » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:57 pm

mig27 wrote: At this moment hydrofoiling IMHO is for the average Joe kiteboarder a bridge too far!
I guess it depends on how you define average Joe. If I look to the schools offering foil instruction, the basic requirements hit what I call the solid independent kite board level. Most of the prerequisites have most of the following wording:

Self-sufficient, stays upwind, ride heal and toe side, willing to start at the beginning again.

In the IKO license world, I would say the Kiteboarder Level 3 (Independent) ticks all the requirements, plus that level includes a basic ability to jump.

A fit dedicated person with 2-3 weeks uninterrupted can get to this level if the wind cooperates. I think that last point about willing to start at the beginning again is a huge point. One of the stronger riders at our launch toyed with a foil for over a year with minimum progression. As soon as the wind came up, the foil got put away and they were back out on the twin-tip boosting huge. The best advice I've gotten is that once I started learning on my foil (a Zeeko alloy by the way) to leave the other boards in the shed until I'm proficient at foiling in both directions. Its been tough to do that, but I'm at 5 sessions, and I appear to be progressing about how others describe...and I definitely consider myself an average Joe kiter.

The thing its going to open up for me as an average guy is more kiteable days...the Ocean is 3-hours away (and its Florida, so winds can be light and spotty), but there is a nice reservoir 1-hour away which gets 8-10 kt winds at least a couple of days a week.

Best

JD

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:38 pm

Jollydriver wrote: I guess it depends on how you define average Joe.
So true! :thumb:

Indeed I mean a kiteboarder of level 3, which is at our place the "average Joe" :wink:
And as I stated in my original post it is not only the skill level, which prevent people from even trying it. But mostly the price of a foil.
Those new aluminium foils from LF and Zeeko for example might be the turning point for many. Who knows.

And we currently have no foiling schools.

Today I asked myself will it be possible to learn somebody foiling with no kiteboarding experience at all? I know a local windsurfer who is now finally interested in the low-end performance of a kite with a hydrofoil. Difficult to answer I guess.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:04 pm

Started foiling at the beginning of last season. Had only ridden twin tip, but for 12 years, before trying the foil. Never tried surfstyle and really wondered if I would be able to learn to hydrofoil. Now I really don't ride my twin tip at all anymore. Even when it's really windy, the foil is much more enjoyable.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:03 pm

I think that the allure of foiling is bigger than we all realize. People that I have talked to all state that at some point that they are going to buy one. Most are waiting to see more used foils hit the for sale forums to reduce the initial costs. I would like to purchase one and I am seriously considering it over buying a bigger kite. Why do I need a 17m+ kite when I could get away just using a 12m plus the foil. I see the market only getting bigger for that fact alone as the durability of a foil will out live any kite.

Jimmy
https://jimmymlmblog.wordpress.com/2015 ... ve-people/

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:33 pm

crazysurf wrote:...How things change! Sport progression for me has been Windsurfing, Kifesurfing (300% better), Foilboarding (1000% better in light winds - who knows where I will end up but I do like to boost and I know that is a foil forte but not one I am familiar with at the moment - also trying to avoid dislocated ankles!)
here we go again...
so what did you expect to hear?
when you ask the question who's in foilboarding on forum you are only going to get answers from the freshly foil enthusiastic people. and i don't find the answers too optimistic so far.
remember those big fat race boards from 1-2 years ago and all the speed records and olympic hopes? well in my place less then 1 percent of the kiters acquired these boards with long fins and started to conquer the race and light wind riding.
now when there are slightly better new foil gear appeared only minute portion of these race board owners have switched to foil boards. why? maybe because the next generation of the better boards came too soon and the most of the racers just consider this technology race pointless? or maybe they found out that the hydrofoil board is just the mother of all lawn mowers?

whatever it is i think the "niche inside the niche" just sums it up

Return to “Hydrofoil”