What makes a good light wind free ride kite

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
borist
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: What makes a good light wind free ride kite

Postby borist » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:01 pm

Zeeko wrote:Light kite, high aspect ratio, reverse relaunching, turning speed, wide wind window seem to be the keys of a good hydrofoil kite (based on my ride) .
amen to that

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:27 pm

I am thinking about an addition to my kite quiver, too. I use my Slingshot Wave SST for my surfboard and my foilboard at 80 kg. The 10m is great for 10 knots and a bit below that, with 31m lines. I think around 8 knots or so (maybe 9 knots?) it just doesn´t want to stay in the air. As long as it does, I can ride. The good thing is that it doesn´t fall to any side, it just slowly drifts down. I can´t get myself spending another ton of money on a foil-kite although I am tempted because I have seen a foil-buddy of mine using a 10m foilkite (some flysurfer thing) in these marginal conditions and he definitely had a few more (less) knots to work with. The thing just doensn´t go down as long as it isn´t rider error. I was thinking about trying a 12m Rally or maybe even the 12m Wave SST. Can anyone say anything about these kites in sub 10 knots by any chance? The struttless kites are tempting, too. And the Storm Voyager isn´t that expensive.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:46 pm

I wouldn't do the rally. I have the 9, and its not a lightweight kite. It's hard to keep in the air in 10 and under. I stopped using it in light wind on snow. I like the kite, but don't use it in under 14 knots.

Using a 12m cloud for light wind right now and that thing is easy to keep flying down to below 6 knots. Truly amazing. I can foil starting at about 9. Only a couple months into foiling.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:37 am

ulx wrote:I am thinking about an addition to my kite quiver, too. I use my Slingshot Wave SST for my surfboard and my foilboard at 80 kg. The 10m is great for 10 knots and a bit below that, with 31m lines. I think around 8 knots or so (maybe 9 knots?) it just doesn´t want to stay in the air. As long as it does, I can ride. The good thing is that it doesn´t fall to any side, it just slowly drifts down. I can´t get myself spending another ton of money on a foil-kite although I am tempted because I have seen a foil-buddy of mine using a 10m foilkite (some flysurfer thing) in these marginal conditions and he definitely had a few more (less) knots to work with. The thing just doensn´t go down as long as it isn´t rider error. I was thinking about trying a 12m Rally or maybe even the 12m Wave SST. Can anyone say anything about these kites in sub 10 knots by any chance? The struttless kites are tempting, too. And the Storm Voyager isn´t that expensive.
I wouldnt go for these :roll:

IMO you will be able to keep your 10m2 even easier in the air than a "heavy" 12m2 kite, even if they are the same type.

You are spot on regarding wind, that your 10m2 on 31m lines goes down to around 9 knots at your weight, but lower it gets tricky.

Only a really light kite, or few or no struts, or foil kite will give you what you want I would say.

If I were you I would not waste money on a "classic" 12m2 kite :naughty:

I got a "normal" 11m2 wavelike kite, and can use it in 9 knots perfectly on 32m lines (and weigh a tad less than you so comparable to a 12).
But my 9m2 is bulls eye in 10 knots and way easier for "everything", so if I did not have the 11m2 before hydrofoiling, I would never have had one - the range I like to use it is really small, as I use my 11m2 ELF foilkite when its 4-8 knots, and the 9m2 from when its 9-10 knots :rollgrin:

So would recommend to go for something else than a normal 12m2.

8) PF

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:55 am

ulx wrote:I am thinking about an addition to my kite quiver, too. I use my Slingshot Wave SST for my surfboard and my foilboard at 80 kg. The 10m is great for 10 knots and a bit below that, with 31m lines. I think around 8 knots or so (maybe 9 knots?) it just doesn´t want to stay in the air. As long as it does, I can ride. The good thing is that it doesn´t fall to any side, it just slowly drifts down. I can´t get myself spending another ton of money on a foil-kite although I am tempted because I have seen a foil-buddy of mine using a 10m foilkite (some flysurfer thing) in these marginal conditions and he definitely had a few more (less) knots to work with. The thing just doensn´t go down as long as it isn´t rider error. I was thinking about trying a 12m Rally or maybe even the 12m Wave SST. Can anyone say anything about these kites in sub 10 knots by any chance? The struttless kites are tempting, too. And the Storm Voyager isn´t that expensive.
IMO, I think the 12m SST wave is heavier than the 12m Rally, and neither of them would great for 10knots. You would only just keep them in the air.....

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:17 am

I guess everybody is waiting for that magical 12m that stays in the air in 5knt and get you going in 7, relaunches well in sub 8knt, depowers great, turns fast, drifts well and chases the edge of the window...

I use my 10m neo with 27m line starting around 10 knt
I bought a 15.5 Solo for the days where the winds is below 10knts but have never had great sessions with it. Too powerfull as soon as you get on the foil.

For next season I'll likely get a new 12m: speed 4 lotus or one of the new 1strut/no strut foil dedicated kite.

Return to “Hydrofoil”