Entry level cost effective foil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Entry level cost effective foil

Postby Starsky » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:15 pm

For that price, you cant really be picky regarding performance and are going to have to snag what you can get either second hand or on promotion. As long as it flies, I don't think it matters. Your well good enough to figure it out, regardless of how easy your foil ends up being for learning.

I got mine at that price only because I jumped on their initial promotion where they paid shipping to Canada from Poland. That bought it in line with what I would have paid for a liquid force foil and I was keener on the Zeeko design.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:39 pm

Yeah I know i'm asking for a tall order. But I simply cant justify spending more considering the sports I already do and the location I have.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:28 am

Trust me on this. Just get one. Any one, and we can revisit this topic 6 months from then and have a chuckle.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:58 am

Starsky wrote:Trust me on this. Just get one. Any one, and we can revisit this topic 6 months from then and have a chuckle.
I know man, I know.

But. I have a boulder strewen location. Even hundreds of meters out to sea they can boil up and suprise you. So that chance of damaging one is high. Also i'm in a big wave location. So it will take a long time to learn smashing through swells and head high white wash. In truth it will literally be years before i could get could enough time on the board to be good enough to tackle double head surf on a hydrofoil while dodging the hidden boulders. ....

Plus I already have light wind options. Kite buggying/landboarding and then also mountain biking and longboard skating.

My downhill mtb is flogged out. I need a new one of those. The wheel set on my trail bike is nackered i want to raplace them with carbon ones. I also have want to make another mutant kiteboard plus my kite buggy is too light weight to take the abuse i'm giving it...... 3 out of my 5 kites really need replacing....... This list goes on and on!...

Plus I have a young family 3 kids under 12 ................... money is tight as is time.

Ahhhh first world problems. How to justify additional toys when i already have a sweet number of toys.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:35 am

plummet wrote:......How to justify additional toys........
How to justify? "Life is short." :remybussi:

GBH Riv
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sydney South
Style: surf
Gear: north
Been thanked: 0

Postby GBH Riv » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:11 am

Plummet, Raglan would be an ideal place to kite hydrofoil and not to far from the Naki.
Long rolling waves and deep water.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:46 am

FLandOBX wrote:
plummet wrote:......How to justify additional toys........
How to justify? "Life is short." :remybussi:
This is true. If I was a single man without a family we would be having a different conversation. It would be what is the best foil and where can I buy one.

But one income with wife and 3 kids means every purchase come at an opportunity cost of something else. Should I not take the family on the yearly family holiday? perhaps the kids could just eat noodles and rice for a couple of months? maybe they don't need to go to swimming practice or do gymnastics and bmx racing? Maybe the kids have been bad this year and father Christmas buys them some shitty gifts?..........................

Usually I sell something to buy something else. But in this instance I don't want to sell any of my other toys as they are all utilised!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:53 am

GBH Riv wrote:Plummet, Raglan would be an ideal place to kite hydrofoil and not to far from the Naki.
Long rolling waves and deep water.
This is true raglan is worthy. Laird Hamilton seems to agree.

But as worthy as it is. Its hard to drive a way from a better wind and waves combo .........

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:35 pm

plummet wrote:....But one income with wife and 3 kids means every purchase come at an opportunity cost of something else......
Well said, plummet. And, of course, your are right. My 3 kids grew up and went out into the world on their own......and now 2 are back (yikes!), living at home, along with my new grand-daughter. Thought I'd finished that stage in life. But it's all good....even a selfish old bast..d like me knows the importance of making those compromises. Just part of what makes life interesting and fun (???)... :o

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:42 am

FLandOBX wrote:Related question....how particular does a beginner need to be about which board to use with a production foil. So, assume it's a Zeeko mast, wings, fuselage...can you attach the unit to most anything? Again, talking about a beginner. Can you put it on an old twin tip, take off the footstraps, and make decent progress learning to foil? :?:
This is exactly what we did with our Zeeko Alloy demo foil. I just dragged out my old 2001 direction board. shed a little tear for the old time memories and drilled. It already was only 30mm thick and had closed cell foam and was epoxy. strated with a 6mm hole then routed a 12mm hole from top through to bottom layer ( not through bottom layer) filled with epoxy Needit stuff placed stainless washer over top to help it set flat.
anyway the end result is fine and proves the concept. It also is proving easy to ride, it is very forgiving when you come rushing back down to board hitting water nose first.

we wanted to show that using a board in your shed was ok which can make getting into Foiling that bit cheaper and thus achievable by more kiters. the Zeeko foil design adds that extra level of growth room for your foiling future.

pics of board are here:- https://www.facebook.com/3Inlets-Windsp ... 329565514/

Return to “Hydrofoil”