Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Consiquensis of crash, when straped in ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Consiquensis of crash, when straped in ?

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:23 am

pstkk wrote:
Mitaka wrote:You should engineer some kind of reliable release system which opens under some adjustable load like the ski bindings and releases your BOTH LEGS SIMULTANEOUSLY.
Some foil riders in France are using straps with a simple release mechanism.

Demonstration video (scroll to around 1:00 and 2:20):
https://www.facebook.com/hubert.alexand ... 957448992/
Interesting but I think it might be a little difficult to reset if you fall often when learning. I dare say something similar but magnetic might be an interesting idea.

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Postby Mitaka » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:57 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mitaka wrote:You should engineer some kind of reliable release system which opens under some adjustable load like the ski bindings and releases your BOTH LEGS SIMULTANEOUSLY.
Interesting but I think it might be a little difficult to reset if you fall often when learning. I dare say something similar but magnetic might be an interesting idea.
Not so difficult to engineer and reset in the water if you use an existing front and back ski binding with diagonal and vertical release fixed to the foilboard. I would suggest the following design of the plate:
Plate.jpg
The ski bindings will keep the plate in place, they will be adjusted to release when needed and they are easy to reset after a crash. Worst injuries occur when only one leg remains connected to the board and I believe that it is paramount always both legs to be disconnected from the foilboard simultaneously. Both legs still connected to the plate during crashes will minimise the possibility to injure the knees or the hips. It will be similar to crashing with a twin tip in boots but the impact will be much weaker because the plate will have less surface then a regular board.

stefmoris
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puntone
Gear: Mikeslab Bullet (3,4,.....)
Brand Affiliation: lecca-lecca / Mikeslab
Has thanked: 0

Postby stefmoris » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:42 pm

+1 for magnets -stef

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:33 pm

Some enviable pencil skills!!!

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby C Johnson » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:42 pm

figure out how to make magnets resistant to corrosion and self cleaning (since some sand is magnetic) and I think you've got something.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:30 am

Thanks for your input guys !! :thumb:

I may go with a system, where i mold the back of my lower prosthetic and foot , and mount
it to the board ; then
place some Velcro , (Not a strap) to keep my foot from sliding out, and my lower leg
kinda stuck to the mold i make. I could simply slip the hook side of the Velcro around
my foot and lower part of the prosthetic, and slid it into the molded cradle i made ? I'd fly
right out of it in a crash ; i think ?
revhed wrote: ...

Not for me and all the guys I fly with, we move our stances a lot.We advise to learn, place the R foot just ahead of the flying sweet spot stance to keep the board on the surface and then when comfortable MOVE it back slightly to take off.
AGAIN, in Billes case maybe hard mounting the R foot in the no lift stance could work to learn the "feel" of the foil system and move it back slightly to lift off, or explain that he needs to keep his C G forward to not lift off and then slowly transfer it back to lift off.
Front and rear adjustable custom built foot hooks? :idea:
The way I see it as Biille is a CONFIRMED H G pilot and understands R H helis as well as designs and builds his carbon legs he himself is more than capable, with help.
He NEEDS a few commited confirmed KBHF pilots to test his gear and then help him learn,
with chase boats ready to aid QUICKLY as he WILL crash!
If I was there and got a good feeling from him and his set up I would be more than willing, but a large ocean is between us.
If there is a will there is "normally" a way, just much more of a challenge in his case.
Shorter STRUT might be a good idea, BUT this concept limits ones vertical flying zone and for us the 55cm we tested was much harder to keep air borne in this zone, and we know how to fly well.
We feel 70 cm is nice if someone wants to go shorter but still have some vertical margin.
I would normally never recommend this but in this specific case the sit down towed behind a boat OLD concept might work well to let him feel foil board flight and test set up ideas?
Then maybe stand up although boat towed foilboarding is so much different from kite.
This would allow consistant speed and only need his input to fly the foilboard not having to worry about flying the kite.
Good luck, Be careful, expect the unexpected!
R H

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:38 am

stefmoris wrote:+1 for magnets -stef

Kept looking at your drawings ; came up with a Hybrid, from watching yours, get pulled apart, & put
back together again .

It's from an old snow-ski binding :

Machine a round end, to a 6mm round SS rod ; the other end is tied to one end of the foot-strap

Machine in a 5mm , 1/3 radius groove, at the top of the round end ; that a 5mm SS ball could
fit into the groove.

Insert this into a carbon block, that had a 5mm flat-head machine screw , with threads molded in ,
(yea , you can do that) directly lined up with that groove.

Place a Strong spring , between a 5mm SS ball, and the machine screw.

The ball in the grove, with the spring driving the ball into it for tension, would keep the foot strap in place ; and it's adjustable.

If it had a Wide head ; it could be put back with one hand, and your fist, to drive it back into the hole. I can
remove, the front of my ski-binding , with one hand , and a Hard hit .

Bille

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:36 am

Actually I have decided to put my money where my mouth is and have ordered a couple of magnets (5kg North and 3.5 kg dual pole so I can mix and match strength and release). They were pretty cheap so I'm happy to replace twice a year if they work nicely.
As far as I can tell, footstraps are most useful when learning to help to keep the board in place. If the wind plays nicely I'll give them a go and let you know what I find (its winter here so dark at 4pm and its been 7m twin tip weather at the weekends so not ideal for learning of late).

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:30 pm

foam-n-fibre wrote:The only time I got to try a foil this year I was underpowered and had 2 falls where the board rolled downwind, but I fell back, so I was bent in a backwards C. Nearly broke my ankles. There is definitely a huge amount of leverage on the board, it can roll in any direction it wants.
Happened to me too. The fronts of my ankles went all black (the bit under my shin) from, I assume broken tissue under the skin.

pstkk
Medium Poster
Gear: Zeeko, Flysurfer, Taaroa, Horue
Been thanked: 0

Postby pstkk » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:51 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
pstkk wrote:
Some foil riders in France are using straps with a simple release mechanism.

Demonstration video (scroll to around 1:00 and 2:20):
https://www.facebook.com/hubert.alexand ... 957448992/
Magnetic surf bindings: http://www.fuegz.com/product/fuegz-binding-system/. Probably great up until you want to move around on the board for turning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxTsOv0d7Ns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcj4Oc7WGEI

Return to “Hydrofoil”