Medium Poster
Style: freeride / wave
Gear: Naish Dash/Pivot, Ozone Enduro
Nobile T5/NHP
Brand Affiliation: None

Bonaire - May ?

Postby czezz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:22 am

Hi,
did anyone of you go kiting to Bonaire ?
Im thinking of going there on the beginning of May 2016.

Can anyone advise me:
- where are kite spots there ?
- is it a good time to go there kinting (windy) ?
- suggestion where to stay ? (im a solo traveller)

Cheers

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Re: Bonaire - May ?

Postby Frank82 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Wind is great at that time of the year (good between january-august). There's only 1 official spot and it's called Atlantis, it's where the kite schools are and the wind is offshore. They offer a rescue service at 20$ per rescue, with the constant wind you have there you'll barely if ever need it.

czezz
Medium Poster
Style: freeride / wave
Gear: Naish Dash/Pivot, Ozone Enduro
Nobile T5/NHP

Postby czezz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:07 pm

Hi Frank,
thanks for reply.

I can see on the map that Atlantis Kite Beach is quite far away south from town.
How to get there ? Rent a car or bus/taxi or some deal with one of the kite schools ?
Any recommendation where to stay/accommodation ?

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:27 pm

Rent a car/scooter, no recommendations on where to stay really. You can try contacting the kite schools but they arrive at the spot early and leave late. It's pretty deserted at the spot.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:01 pm

Thread JACK:

I would assume Bonaire and Curacao get the same steady, awesome wind that Aruba gets?

I enjoyed Aruba, but wished it had a few more spots to ride with less people. (No offense!) Anyone with suggestions for Curacao as well as Bonaire?

80 degrees and 25mph wind EVERYDAY is kite heaven.

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby southflorida » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:22 pm

Bonaire appears to only have one spot with off shore winds. Went around entire island looking...the best bay on the island (Lac Bay) is off limits to kiters, quite a shame. Lots of windsurfing in that bay, absolutely no kiters allowed, they hate kiters is what I was told. One day, when windsurfing gets cancelled :rollgrin: , Lac Bay will be the No.1 kite spot in the ABCs. It's almost perfect.

Curacao has a nice bay and spot, which is said to be private property, but earlier this year, it was still open to kiters. Heard it may go "club" and a fee would be required. That is in Sint Joris bay, so no waves, lots of chop. Presumably there are waves spots elsewhere in Curacao.

yes, all three islands are blown by the warm trade winds, but there is a low season (Oct/Nov?) check the stats in ikite or something like that

Lac Bay, Lac Bay, Lac Bay in Bonaire... that will be the place one day...some deep pockets needed to buy access for kiters

we
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Huguenot, Atlantic Beach Jax
Favorite Beaches: Vieux Fort, St. Lucia

Postby we » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:28 am

We've stayed at:

www.djambobonaire.com/en/ - Simple but closer to the kiting at Atlantis. Within walking distance of downtown.

www.bamboobalibonaire.com/ - Nicer small cottages, but further from downtown and the kiting (maybe 10mins or so further). Not within walking distance from downtown.

I would say that you have to rent a car. Wind was consistent. A little gusty but we got used to it. Offshore winds took a little getting used to.

Windsurfed in Lac Bay just to check it out. Yeah, it would be awesome.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:55 am

Just for grins Kiteforum's members as a collective should send Bonaire (or whatever governing body) a letter/petition letting them know just how much $$$ they are turning away by not allowing kiters to use Lac Bay....

I looked at it on Google Earth and watched a couple Youtube vids of guys windsurfing it. Yeah.....it looks prime.

Brenkie
Rare Poster

Postby Brenkie » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:13 am

Don't bother the wind, it will be there, it always is. :thumb:
Atlantis is the spot to be, Lac Bay is a great spot but indeed only for windsurfing.
Some smartass kiter once crashed his kite on the gouverners head when he came to talk about allowing kiters into Lac Bay. That was the end of the discussion. :evil:

I stayed at Sorobon beach resort, at Lac Bay. A perfect place to stay, nice apartments surrounded by a beautiful garden on the beach of Lac Bay. http://www.sorobonbeachresort.com/
We choose that location because our little daughter had to take her afternoon sleep and meanwhile we could stay on the beach within reach of the babyphone.
But there are also some more budget options.
When you have a windsurfing background like me it is nice to rent some gear for a few days to soar over Lac Bay, and Sorobon has the best beach of the island.

Rent a Toyoto Hi-Lux at the airport, the most common car and it also can take you into Washington Slagbaai park, where you should go when you stay at Bonaire. The drive to Atlantis beach takes you 10 minutes from Sorobon or Kralendijk.

Bonaire doesn't have any tall buildings which makes it a real getaway. No trafficlights, no traffic jams and the whole island is basically one giant rock of coral with hundreds of divespots. We did a snorkling tour to klein (small) Bonaire. You definitly should take a look under water as well.

I have been told that on the oceanside of the north entrance of Lac Bay, where the boats go out of the lagoon, it is also allowed to kitesurf. But as I was alone and the reef is pretty shallow at several places I didn't dare to risk it.
From Atlantis beach you can also kite to the south of the island and pick up some swell too.
When you tell the guys from the schools on the beach they can keep an eye on you.

Just go there, you won't regret it. But don't forget to buy some mosquito repellent.

thekoning
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks Provincial Park
WEST LAKE!
Style: Freeriding
Gear: 2010 Naish torch 12m
2012 liquid force envy 7m
2013 blade fat lady 17m
Brand Affiliation: West lake catamaran sailing school

Postby thekoning » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:23 pm

Went to bonaire last last year. But I cannot explain how disappointed I was that lac bai has kiteboarding banned.... The kitespot is at the other side of the island which was inconvient becuase the villa I was at was right on lac bai. Windsurfers have it best on Bonaire for sure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”