A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Rasmuskk
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First season with a foil

Postby Rasmuskk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:13 am

I'd like to share a couple of videos from my first year with a foil.

I consider myself a freestyler and the foil is a light wind supplement for me....
No comparison between the two disciplines. Feels like a completely different sport. I do, however, love the soundless glide in a light summer breeze.

This first video is from my first session on a borrowed foil. Exactly a year ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArmCe1w98eo

The second video is from a nice lightwind session this summer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azrpGNMGG3I

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: First season with a foil

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:55 am

Nice one! Good work with the c-kite too :D

How do you like the LF foil?

Rasmuskk
Medium Poster

Postby Rasmuskk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:31 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Nice one! Good work with the c-kite too :D

Thanks.
I don't have a lot to compare the LF-foil with.
The two sessions I had on the custom foil were several months before I tried and bought the LF.
I do however fell that it was easier to use and I like the sturdy build. I've hit the bottom more than once :oops: no damage done. :P

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:49 am

Rasmuskk wrote:

Thanks.
The two sessions I had on the custom foil were several months before I tried and bought the LF.
I do however fell that it was easier to use and I like the sturdy build. I've hit the bottom more than once :oops: no damage done. :P
Cool. I've got one in the mail...

Rasmuskk
Medium Poster

Postby Rasmuskk » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:17 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Rasmuskk wrote:

Thanks.
Cool. I've got one in the mail...
I hope you'll like it!

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Your first foil session looks nothing like mine - I was getting pulled either over the front of the board, or bucked off as soon as I got going every single time :cry: - haven't tried it since then, it just seemed impossible to ride.

After seeing your progression in 1 season, maybe I should give it another go though :D

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:14 pm

Strekke wrote:Your first foil session looks nothing like mine - I was getting pulled either over the front of the board, or bucked off as soon as I got going every single time :cry: - haven't tried it since then, it just seemed impossible to ride.

After seeing your progression in 1 season, maybe I should give it another go though :D
If conditions are "bullseye", and you have an easy hydrofoil, and you are prepared that it is almost impossible and you have to start REALLY slow not foiling at first - you can be lucky to have such a good first session :D

But almost everybody I know of, including myself, has started just like you Strekke, pulled over and/or buckled off and huge crashes, especially when bigger waves and high wind :naughty:

So it IS really difficult when starting, feels impossible yes (unless you are lucky with gear and conditions the first times)

Just continue - you will eventually get there, and it suddenly seems pretty easy.

Till you want to do new things, then it is difficult once again, and an awesome climb getting better - just like windsurfing that takes longer than kitesurfing to get dialed, but somehow also more rewarding because of this :thumb:

8) PF

Rasmuskk
Medium Poster

Postby Rasmuskk » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:33 pm

Strekke wrote:Your first foil session looks nothing like mine - I was getting pulled either over the front of the board, or bucked off as soon as I got going every single time :cry: - haven't tried it since then, it just seemed impossible to ride.

We didn't shoot any video of my first half hour :wink: . That was a true struggle, and like you I didn't feel I would ever learn it. But then the out of nowhere I suddenly understood what to do, and that's when we started shooting.
The trick for me was exactly like Peter says - to keep the board on the surface in order to get used to the feeling. Then and only then you can start to get a little lift.

I'm sure you'll nail it. Not everyone learns at the same pace but everyone can learn it. I wish you at good rodeo-fight with the foil.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:41 pm

I got to play with the Slingshot gear last month...

Spent 90% of the time fighting my way out through the wind-driven knee-high waves about 200m off the beach :( Over the past couple of years the sand has been driven up onto the beach and it stays shallow enough that you can't get the foil down without going wa-aay out. Got video of another day when the wind and waves were really up, and in the background of me riding you can see a guy struggling to get out for almost an hour :o

Probably had a dozen attempts; the first was a complete launch as I didn't have enough front foot pressure. The next I got pulled over the front, then I gradually got the board riding flat and slowly lifting, until I ran aground and had to swim back out :-?

Addictive :)

Return to “Hydrofoil”