Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lets see some custom foil and board combinations!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Lets see some custom foil and board combinations!

Postby Starsky » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:14 pm

KitesurferRO wrote:
This one illustrates the challenges of really low volume boards perfectly!

@ zdunigan

That wake skate set up is probably the nicest looking set up I've seen so far from an aesthetics perspective, but I bet it can be a challenge to find in chop after a good yard sale. I have been brainstorming on how best to solve the flotation and visibility issues I have found with my foil on wood core skim. I also really like the feel of that minimal board under foot, but almost sharted my suit the first time it dove down to 10 foot depth and took 30 sec to come back up! I also almost lost it in pretty cold conditions earlier this fall and it has got me looking for solutions. Think I have one, and will post pics when its done.

zdunigan
Rare Poster
Gear: kites
Been thanked: 0

Postby zdunigan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:33 pm

@starsky

Yea I threw it in the water and checked to see if it would float before I went out......but I know exactly what you mean. The first time I stuffed it deep it took way to long to get back to the surface. And yes it is way to hard to find if you take a big crash in choppy conditions. Looking forward to seeing your flotation/ visibility solution.

I want something just a bit bigger, wider at the waist etc to help on those light wind days when its tough to get going in shallow water.

The key to riding these little boards is to not waist anytime at all getting to foil. 1 cycle of the kite and I want to be up and foiling.

I am loving the simplicity of cheap wooden boards though. Very tough to break, easy to mount, and just buoyant enough.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:08 am

My BRM tribute in effort to address the visibility and flotation challenges of a low volume foil board. Rode it enough for proof of concept and will go back to it once Im transitioning well.

Doubled the deck pad to increase float, brighten it up and add some tactile stance prompts. The other is a chopped down surfboard with strap inserts, and a bit more size and float for jumping, going fast, cold conditions and learning transitions.
IMG_3112.jpg

Return to “Hydrofoil”