Forum for kitesurfers
mz16
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Renting Gear in New Zealand

Postby mz16 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:49 pm

I am traveling to New Zealand over the holidays, will be on the South Island for 9 days and in Tairua for 5. I am wondering about bringing my kite gear. Problem is, I will be sharing a camper with 5 non-kiters and dont want to impose on them with all my stuff, so was hoping there might be spots to rent gear somewhere?

I might put everything in the storage area at Auckland airport, and just get it after we get back from the South Island, and I might just drag it along with us and drive everyone crazy, but was hoping you guys could provide info on best spots to hope for during this time of year as well as rental options.

Also if i bring my gear, was planning on a 12m, 9m, wetsuit and twintip. im 6'2 200lbs. Look forward to hearing any thoughts.

Kozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton
Style: freestyle

Re: Renting Gear in New Zealand

Postby Kozzie » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:14 am

nz has alot of shit. the least impressive of all of it is the kitesurfing. maybe be bothered for a sesh one day at raglan or possibly one at nelson but apart from that wouldnt even bother man.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:17 am

Kozzie wrote:nz has alot of shit. the least impressive of all of it is the kitesurfing. maybe be bothered for a sesh one day at raglan or possibly one at nelson but apart from that wouldnt even bother man.
Yeah its horrible. Nothing to see here. Move on,,,,,,
6742523.jpg
20151026_145617.jpg

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:46 am

Maybe tie it to the roof?
You would be able to rent gear in Nelson & Christchurch but probably nowhere else. I doubt you could rent anything in Tairua.
It is a classic El Nino summer this year, non-stop westerlies that will probably continue through January.

Kozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton
Style: freestyle

Postby Kozzie » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:04 am

plumet lives on north island.... he forgets that some times. and taranaki isnt even good anyways its a mild to average day on sunshine coast with a wetsuit requirement

danie178
Medium Poster

Postby danie178 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:52 pm

2014-11-21 15.01.21.jpg
not far from tairua
HI OP

if you are trying to rent gear it pays to make sure the folks know what skill level you are, ( ok I know but you would be surprised with what we see here (Auckland) )

WE (NZ Boardstore) do rent gear, typically its our gear depending on your skill level, and we like to get it back in one piece.
essentially its rented it we feel we can trust you to buy it if you can't bring it back in one piece.

we have a school here in auckland as well so can cater to folks needing lessons also.

prices start from $80 NZD per half day.

Email the shop for more info.

Cheers

Dan

mz16
Frequent Poster

Postby mz16 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:20 am

Awesome, thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will just leave the gear at home, wing it once I arrive on the island if I get some time to ride.

Will definitely check out the shop in Auckland (I am 10yrs experienced and fully expect to put down the credit card if I rent gear, so no worries on that).

Return to “Kitesurfing”