Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Snowkiting - the best part of kiteboarding, but no one cares

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Sojourner
Medium Poster

Re: Snowkiting - the best part of kiteboarding, but no one c

Postby Sojourner » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:12 pm

I was thinking about asking the question "Why are there no American companies making open-cell foil kites?"

Of all the billions of random, miscellaneous expensive consumer goods available in the US, and not a single US company that offers a depowerable foil? My research indicates touring-type depower foils can be produced, marketed and distributed at much, much lower prices than what is currently available.

An entire market model built on distributors selling foreign kites isn't helping the sport.

Is the surge in the sport going to happen in SLC, Denver or other winter hotspots? It seems like the opportunity cost of snowkiting is too great compared to the other options available. Plus you either have to proselytize your friends or find new ones.

Drop the price so a 2 kite quiver is less than $500, and the kids in the midwest will wise up to the fact they can play video games if the wind isn't blowing and snowkite when there is wind, then I the sport will take off and we'll all benefit.
Last edited by Sojourner on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:31 pm

You need both wind and access. The guys in the Pacific North West USA are using snow mobiles and snow bikes for access. Following any of my buddies who have attempted snow kiting this year, it take a huge effort and worse case, the wind does not cooperate...

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-38090-0-asc-34.html
Last edited by foilonfoil on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:32 pm

I live in Utah most of the year and I don't snow kite as much as its more of hassel than water kiting - 2 to 3x longer drive, gotta bundle up, lay out lines / rig up takes 2x as long (assuming LEI v Foil). I will admit its fun but its 2 to 3x more time and effort IMO. I may Snowkite 2 or 3 days a season.

Also like foilonfoil said the wind doesn't always cooperate. Skyline is a bit more steady than Strawbs - but for me Skyline is 2.5 hours drive... each way. Deer Creek / Utah lake is 30 min for water kiting.

But I will say - on a blue bird day with wind and no other responsibilities from dawn to dusk, snow kiting is for sure fun. I think its one of those things you have to be all gung ho for and almost 90% guarantee the wind / sun will be rocking with good snow conditions. I can accept 2 hours wasted from attempting a ride at Utah Lake / Deer Creek but even just Strawbs is a 4 hour minimum commitment if wind isn't cooperating.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:10 pm

You snow kiters think nobody cares......... Imagine what its like for us landkiters.

I'm at the beach its 10-12 knots. 15 guys sitting on the rocks are looking glum and annoyed because its not windy enough.

I fire up my landboard and proceed to blast around and do sweet jumps.

I offer but the guys watching don't even consider giving it a go. In fact I think one kitesurfer at my local has had a go on my landboard in 10 years.

I'll be honest. It blows my mind. They are passionate blokes about kiting. When ever there is wind they flock to the beach. But they just don't have any desire at all to give it a try on the land.

I come to the conclusion that the majority of them are watermen. They love doing water sports. They are either from windsurfing or surfing background. So the kite is just a means to get back into the water and waves.

The other thing I find amusing is they think i'm mad as a hatter jumping my landboard in 15 knots on the sand. But then they will go out in 30-40 knots in a double/tripple head waves almost 1km offshore to ride the monster waves,,,,,,,

The chance of dying is a lot higher out in the 30-40 knot tripple head wave scenario....

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:28 pm

The only reason I don't snow kite other then it sucks is because it sucks and its fucken cold!

If I had some mountains and perfect conditions... it might not suck... but it would still be fucken cold!

bigcane
Medium Poster

Postby bigcane » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:31 pm

The problem is that snowkiting is a fickle mistress, as mentioned above you need wind and decent snow, but almost as importantly you also need vis. And getting all this to line up at the same time that you can escape from work and commitments is a rare thing so I can understand the low numbers. For me the solution has been to invest in a cabin at a ski resort that also has good snowkiting and cross country trails. Its been a win/win for the whole family, the wife loves the cross country and I either ride the chairs with the boys or pump up if it is on. Often I will do all 3 of these sports in one day to keep everyone happy.

The other problem with snowkiting is the short days this time of year, so to increase my probability of scoring powder sessions I have also been kiting at night using a high lumens mountain bike light on my helmet. So long as it is not snowing, the vis is great and you do not have to worry about getting caught out far from your car when the sun goes down. I have had some mind blowing night sessions in that wonderful -5 to -8C range when the powder is just pure silk. And some nights are so bright with the snow reflecting the moonlight that you can turn off the light if you know the terrain, magic!

nobby raish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: oregon
Favorite Beaches: windy ones
Style: old school
Gear: old
Been thanked: 0

Postby nobby raish » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:28 am

" snowkiting, the best thing to happen to kiteboarding "

i miss chasta :jump:
he was THE snowkite visionary !!

there's some pessimistic attitudes above
yeah,can be tough for all to line up, but when it does,WOW !
it's really not about kitesurfing verse snowkiting, they're such different animals.
this is a great topic, because its time for snowkiting to come into its own !
snowkiting is a lot more than something kitesurfers do in the "off season"
and it's time....snowkites time.

if anything could change,kite companies need to step up and support more core,
driven snowkite visionaries,
call out companies the have no snow team riders ,don't buy their gear.
and more support for companies that do,and brands that support snow riders
step up with more support with gear ,events,photographers and filming
seems like a no brainier ,tens of millions of skiers & boarders as potential customers,duh!
as far as organized events blame the forest service/blm ect. red tape
they suck,I witnessed the whole best team shut down from filming in Utah
because the lacked the required permits.

Europe ,as usual with "extreme sports",is way ahead of the us in growth
blame the lawyers,and sue happy Americans !
even tho the us,with the execution of Norway ,
may have more terrain / wind potential and diversity

keep chasing those perfect days !

PDCK
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:22 pm

Snowkite season has started very well here in SW Colorado.
Amazing snow, great wind......and nobody riding as usual.
I am personally loving it!
I spent the past 15 years riding the ocean and only the 2 past seasons on snow.

The reason I think there are only few people snowkiting, at least around here, is that the wind condition on snow are way more difficult than on water.
Windows with good/steady winds are less, and forecast to plan a session is very hard to read due to a lot of factors.
Also, many locations need to be access by skin or snowmobile, and not everyone is ready for that.

I got bored of water( expect when exceptional wind and waves), and snowkiting brings more of a challenge....and reward when scoring an amazing sesh!

What I need now, is a Foil kite without a zillion fr@&$ing bridles! Jaja it's driving me nuts!

M.
Attachments
image.jpeg

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Mickey,
Pump it up and ditch the bridles (unless it's below zero F)! We need to get together for a Big Mac outing.
We had a couple of fresh faces yesterday. During a lull in the wind, I shot this short clip of Calvin uphill looping a Peak in the alpine. I promise one of these days I'll make a point to get some good footage. It's just so tough to stop to film when the powder is so fluffy.
https://youtu.be/X_BH8HNTvbg

PDCK
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:21 am

Man,
Am always ready! :D
Let s get a nice Mac sesh!
Hey, is it a one skin kite on the vid you just posted?
Send u my phone by PM.
M.

Return to “Snow / Land”