Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tannum Sands
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Problems with pivot top end

Postby Tannum » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:08 pm

I recently brought a 2016 8m pivot to replace my old 2012 cab drifter 9m. I am impressed with the pivots low end, I can easily go up wind at speed when others are struggling to hold ground on 10m & 11m kites. However I get overpowered a lot earlier on the pivot than l do on the drifter. I find the drifter has virtually infinite top end where as the pivot even when fully depowered is hard to steer and you have to edge hard, just like riding an old C kite. Is there any way of improving the pivots top end I was thinking of removing or moving the stopper ball however I was thinking l might just end up with slack steering lines and even less control. Any ideas, thanks in advance.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Problems with pivot top end

Postby Starsky » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:46 pm

Get a 7m

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:34 pm

I fly a mix of drifters and pivots and also found the pivots top end not enough when on my surfboard. I felt there was a lot of lift and the speed it moved at upwind was too high. On the twin tip it also stalled quite often when keeping the bar sheeted in too long. Signs of front line stretch I guessed. No I have not measured by line lengths yet. Took me a good few sessions to get it dialed in.
Tannum wrote:where as the pivot even when fully depowered is hard to steer and you have to edge hard, just like riding an old C kite.
from this statement I assume you're riding it with a twin tip.

When you say you fully depowered, is that you just pushing the bar away as far as possible depower or have you fully pulled the below the bar depower plus using the last knot in the bar end line length adjuster.

I found the pivot a lot more enjoyable on the top end since riding fully depowered at the BTB plus having the bar end line adjuster on the last knot so that the rear lines are the longest they can go. Even with this setting the pivot still has enough low end and if the you do hit a lull just undo the BTB depower quickly to power up again.

Pivot is not a bad jumper either
12402077_10153768008250891_7890195732817847556_o.jpg

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:59 pm

Pivot has a good top end, I watched a rider in my spot the other day hold down his 11mtr in close to 30 knots. He was jumping some and still ok, most were lit on 9s and 10s.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:17 pm

I found the total range of knots the Pivot covers not different from my previous kites. It just moved on the wind scale.
My 8m Pivot has about the same range (low end starting point to high end) as my previous 9m Naish Park (2014).
So the 8m Park has significantly more low end than your 9m Drifter and tops out earlier? As already posted the 7m Pivot might have the same range as your Drifter.

A friend of mine who is 10 kg heavier than me tested my 8m Pivot next to his 10m Catalyst and felt about the same amount of power (the kites characteristics (turning, etc.) are different, though).

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:09 pm

great low end indeed.

I ham a heavy guy and since I ride pivots I use the same kitesize as "normal" people. Sometimes even smaller...

My 8m is as powerfull as my previous Wainman smoke (9m).

I need a 6m now ! Anybody selling a 2015 model pm me please

Tannum
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tannum Sands
Gear: Naish

Postby Tannum » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:10 am

Lanc wrote:I fly a mix of drifters and pivots and also found the pivots top end not enough when on my surfboard. I felt there was a lot of lift and the speed it moved at upwind was too high. On the twin tip it also stalled quite often when keeping the bar sheeted in too long. Signs of front line stretch I guessed. No I have not measured by line lengths yet. Took me a good few sessions to get it dialed in.
Tannum wrote:where as the pivot even when fully depowered is hard to steer and you have to edge hard, just like riding an old C kite.
from this statement I assume you're riding it with a twin tip.

When you say you fully depowered, is that you just pushing the bar away as far as possible depower or have you fully pulled the below the bar depower plus using the last knot in the bar end line length adjuster.

I found the pivot a lot more enjoyable on the top end since riding fully depowered at the BTB plus having the bar end line adjuster on the last knot so that the rear lines are the longest they can go. Even with this setting the pivot still has enough low end and if the you do hit a lull just undo the BTB depower quickly to power up again.

Pivot is not a bad jumper either
12402077_10153768008250891_7890195732817847556_o.jpg
[/quot

I have checked my lines and found the front lines to be 1 inch too long so lengthen the steering lines one knot. I also moved the stopper ball about 2 inches to give me more depower. Hope that helps.

yearningf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Saud Beach, Northshore
Kingfisher, Pagudpud
Pingtan, China
Boao, China
Qidong, China
Favorite Beaches: Saud Beach, Northshore
Kingfisher, Pagudpud
Style: Wave, Air
Gear: Naish Pivot
DSD Intel/ Ilokano WaterSports Wave Kite
Naish Alana TT 134
RRD 5'9" Fatal Wave

Postby yearningf » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:46 pm

Adjust the ball

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:23 am

Wow ! This the first ive heard of this ! I havent even uboxed my 10m pivot because my 12m is fine in everything ive seen so far in So Cal. I had the drifters too and wainmans and the drifters had no low end at all which is probably why they have good high end. Why would you wanna be on a bigger kite than needed though ? Slower turning speed ? More stable ?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:15 am

clint2070 wrote:Wow ! This the first ive heard of this ! I havent even uboxed my 10m pivot because my 12m is fine in everything ive seen so far in So Cal. I had the drifters too and wainmans and the drifters had no low end at all which is probably why they have good high end. Why would you wanna be on a bigger kite than needed though ? Slower turning speed ? More stable ?
Easy - they have much more windrange when more depower so preferred by many waveriders :rollgrin:

But the kite has to match your style and weight, as heavier riders tend to like wavekites with a bit more grunt, but still higher range than non-wavekites.

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”