The Future of Foilboards ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Re: The Future of Foilboards ?

Postby skullcandy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:54 pm

Interesting discussion - What about this type of wing for a TT HF.... the new one from north or something similar? This almost looks like it could be tweaked to accommodate both directions... But im totally throwing darts here
Attachments
North Mast n Wing.PNG
North Mast n Wing.PNG (54.28 KiB) Viewed 1415 times

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joriws » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:43 pm

PD Gorby 67 wrote:There is a reason why fixed wing aircraft don’t fly backwards.
Practicality is different from physics
http://www.google.com/patents/US20020005458

You could also youtube search reverse thrust 3d rc planes.. Which fly nicely backwards and does acrobatics.

Or 3d flying rc helicopters which is although a bit differentfrom reverse airflow to airfoil but there was time someone saying world is flat and helicopters cannot hover inverted.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:05 pm

In the real world of the foreseeable future, Its a simple direct route to performance when you accept that its a directional and you gotta move your feet.

Flat plates as wings will work in either direction, I'm sure some kinda profile can help stability, but its never not going to be a compromise.

In reality, you don't have to move your feet much at all to have fun foiling, but a couple quick steps are THE key to transitions.

PD Gorby 67
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Erie, Ontario
Gear: Stringfellow Foil
Gong Surf Foil - L and XXL wings, 80cm strut
BRM Cloud E2.8, D 4.8, 8, 13.4 - 10 to 30 knots
Brand Affiliation: None.
Has thanked: 0

Postby PD Gorby 67 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:54 pm

I agree that one could come up with some way of making a bi-directional hydrofoil, but will it be more efficient than current or future designs of twin tip boards?

Since trying to get a hydrofoil to fly backwards requires compromises in efficiency, then the gains of having the foil there in the first place would quickly get negated.

Also, since the biggest allure of TT's is how easy it is to change direction, then you would also have to find a way to have that foil go from flying backwards to flying forwards and not have a drop in elevation beyond the length of the strut. The examples mentioned of other aircraft being able to do those things have other sources of power to help in the direction changes.

Anything is technically possible, but we need efficiency and simplicity, to make this better than a "conventional" twin tip.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:39 am

PD Gorby 67 wrote:I agree that one could come up with some way of making a bi-directional hydrofoil, but will it be more efficient than current or future designs of twin tip boards?

Since trying to get a hydrofoil to fly backwards requires compromises in efficiency, then the gains of having the foil there in the first place would quickly get negated.

Also, since the biggest allure of TT's is how easy it is to change direction, then you would also have to find a way to have that foil go from flying backwards to flying forwards and not have a drop in elevation beyond the length of the strut. The examples mentioned of other aircraft being able to do those things have other sources of power to help in the direction changes.

Anything is technically possible, but we need efficiency and simplicity, to make this better than a "conventional" twin tip.
:thumb: Agreed completely, part of the beauty of foilboarding is it's performance and efficiency. Take that away by making it a TT and you take away it's reason to be.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:04 am

Starsky wrote:In the real world of the foreseeable future, Its a simple direct route to performance when you accept that its a directional and you gotta move your feet.
Performance to whom? LEIs are still being sold.. :naughty: (Starsky's comment sounded to me only race specific evolution).

Racing foils will continue to evolve as well as freeride (directional) foils, wave foils and beginner foils. With this I mean it made me smile when reading a thread @KF what foil wings you have (and most had multiple and not just two). Previously it was changing the board, now it is changing the wing.

Maybe Toby would like to do airstyle on TT foil because he does not like/want/learn to jibe. I'd too be interested in TT foil, it could be J-style foil wings or something. I do not care it's VMG performance, I only care if it gets me going on summer breeze. I have directional foil but most of our beaches are very shallow so mast-based foils are not that practical or I need multiple masts. And I've already made a big hole to my foil front wing, luckily it was not a carbon-wing.

Remember most of us (kiters) are recreational kiters and there is the business what we want and find a reason to purchase. Pro riders are just for kite brand image not for sales to pros.

Let's take an example of Liquid Force, they are bringing their first foil kite which is not race specific but for more general usage and wider audiences. Flysurfer introduced Speed5 which is successor most successful generic purpose foil kite line of FS. Ozone brought Chrono2 for the masses. So what boards does the brands want these guys to use with these kites?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:37 am

But joriws, you will most likely be able to go in low water and earlier in a summer breeze, and better on a normal low cost freerace board, than an extremely inefficient TT hydrofoil ?

I am pretty sure Starsky is not aiming/talking about race performance (as I know him from here...), but for the general freeriders having fun.

No fun, at least not for long, on stoneage equipment - I think that is the basic message :rollgrin:

8) PF

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:21 am

Airstyle with a twintip and a foil has already been done.

It has also been shown that it's possible to build a foil that auto controls it's depth below the surface on one tack.
It may be possible to make a foil that allows you to change direction and the foil follows you, because it is being towed - as in this film.

Return to “Hydrofoil”