Let's talk risk (KOTA)

Forum for kitesurfers
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Let's talk risk (KOTA)

Postby Starsky » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:10 pm

That's funny! I kinda find your agenda a little sad too.

Hate! That's a bit strong. There is no real vitriol here. Criticism certainly but I don't hate you. I don't think I actually hate much of anything. I just think your out of touch, a little vain and caught up in your cause. It's a forum and I treat it as entertainment. Its pretty easy to tell when conditions are poor around here!

I also think your use of the word support is a little strong. In reality I think YOU might think you support all forms of this sport. But I think support is more than just giving each their own forum! I think you accept all aspects of the sport, but you really only support one. Pretty sure a little disdain even creeps in there from time to time, but hey I do that plenty.

I don't seek you out, or stalk your posts looking for opportunities to "Hate". You provide more than enough ridiculousness for me to keep up with!
Last edited by Starsky on Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:12 pm

obviously you want to limit risk. you want minimum amount of risk for maximum amount of excitement. back in the bad old days of F1 formula racing between the 50's and 70's you had about 4 fatalities per year. The greatest racing driver of all time Ayrton Senna died in 1994 because the courses weren't safe and the cars weren't safe. After that F1 became much safer. Is it a worse sport because they took as much risk as possible out? Some would say yes, they want the fatalities back, but I don't like snuff films, I'm glad racing is as safe as they can possibly make it. The sensation of risk is what you want. Not the reality of risk. I think what KOTA wants is no dangling I like that and I have re-read the rules, so I think that's what they are after, it's unfortunate though how unclear what this whole "risk" thing is, and I hope Langeree is able to get them to make the "risk" section better explained to everyone and I hope they just remove that word "risk" and change it to "powered".

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:18 pm

Toby wrote:Yeah, few fans. Right. Sure it is just me.
Little you know Starsky.
Your personal agenda is sad.

I am up for all kind of styles in the sport.
You are limiting the styles in the sport because of your personal hate trip.

I am adding something to the sport it is missing. All I can personal do. What are you doing for it?
You should show respect for what I do. Even if you hate it. Get over your hate and relax.
Keep doing what you do Toby, I think its awesome!. Most of the unhooked stuff looks repetitive to me..

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:33 pm

I did not watch KOTA this year despite being enthusiastic about it last year. Why? For the past 12 months all I've heard friends talk about is how high they are jumping. They go out and jump high, and that's about it. No interest in down winders or trying new tricks, just jumping high. And some have been hurt really bad trying to beat their previous best.

We use to do post session hang outs talking about the new tricks we tried or the terrain we discovered during the session. Now the conversation centers around how high people jumped. Want to try a new trick or learn to ride a directional? Nope, I just want to jump higher is what I hear. Boring.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:09 pm

matth wrote:
Toby wrote:Yeah, few fans. Right. Sure it is just me.
Little you know Starsky.
Your personal agenda is sad.

I am up for all kind of styles in the sport.
You are limiting the styles in the sport because of your personal hate trip.

I am adding something to the sport it is missing. All I can personal do. What are you doing for it?
You should show respect for what I do. Even if you hate it. Get over your hate and relax.
Keep doing what you do Toby, I think its awesome!. Most of the unhooked stuff looks repetitive to me..
And I think board offs all look repetetive, different stokes, different styles :). It's obvious Toby is pushing his style, it's what he likes and there's no competitions that really push it.

I preffer to see big powered loops with rotations in them. Hadlow's kiteloop handle pass is sick (it's not a megaloop...) but Kevin's display doing a boardoff at 15m+ is awesome as well even though it's less technical. Regarding the results I think Kevin should have won with Jesse 2nd and 3rd Reno or Hadlow, didn't see enough of Reno except for one sick loop in the final (much more aggresive than Hadlow's).

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:16 pm

powered instead of risk would be much clearer, true.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:58 pm

kiteforum needs forum rider video dispute battles - would be so sick and funny!

like add a trick or game of kite

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:20 pm

I'm an old Dude, been into extreme sports before the term was coined. It's obvious kota is a format with potential. Just like tow in surfing, big wave, downhill mtb etc, etc, etc are.
It's dangerous. That's the attraction. Fine, good. Young people like to take risks. I still do. calculated risk. And think about backup plan.

But the safety backup is shameful. Provide safety and medics that are in line with the risk. Those rubber boats, I was worried. Then the accidents happened. Redbull messed up on that. Direct your influence to getting RB to get those pro jetski rescue dudes out there like they have at big wave events.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:51 am

NHKitesurfer wrote:I did not watch KOTA this year despite being enthusiastic about it last year. Why? For the past 12 months all I've heard friends talk about is how high they are jumping. They go out and jump high, and that's about it. No interest in down winders or trying new tricks, just jumping high. And some have been hurt really bad trying to beat their previous best.

We use to do post session hang outs talking about the new tricks we tried or the terrain we discovered during the session. Now the conversation centers around how high people jumped. Want to try a new trick or learn to ride a directional? Nope, I just want to jump higher is what I hear. Boring.

They are doing far more than going big and there is plenty of tricks to discuss given the height and power through a megaloop.

Learn to ride a directional ...hahahahaha....some of us were doing that in 2000, I rode directional for 5 years, what's there to learn?

Now strapless directional airs...that is damn hard and technical. Spent way too much time in the bloody water than riding on the water!!

Starsky agreed, megalooping and what you do other than a megaloop only, is the risk factor and indeed the technicality of the move.

But so would rotational board offs and megaloops with board offs be very risky and highly technical.

Hence why as yet they are not attempted and yet unhooked, rotational stuff is...

That's really the core of my argument.

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:43 am

As a kiter, me personally, I am not excited to see if kiting becomes an olympic sport. Nor did I care too much for the PKRA and WTA (or whatever the name of the other tour was). I simply love kiting and want to be on the water doing it, on the beach talking about it and generally prioritize my life around it as much as practically possible. Living in the Caribbean helps :D

I'm enjoying this discussion and some of the commentary about styles and preferences. Of course Toby is pushing his style and it looks amazing, but that excitement dwindles quickly after 1 or 2 rotations, let alone left or right. The wake style guys are trowing tricks with such amplitude and power that it makes my balls shrink. And surfboard freestyle....strapless 720 front role without grabbing the board...RU kidding me. So looking at this list of available talents I think Airstyle is a great show and there is no greater ambassador for it than Toby, but it is clearly not the only show.

And whatever your style, our sport doesn't seem to be in a great state right now, KOTA is definitely on to something. What are the most crowded events with the most spectators over the last few years besides KOTA? Think the PKRA stop in Germany was always well visited. Think Triple-S. What else?

As to risk. Some people are more accepting (or in denial) of the consequences then others so trying to minimize it in terms of tricks is unrealistic. And the crazier the trick the more the audience will love it and so they win anyway in this day and age of instant news. He/She might not win the competition, but if it truly that awe-inspiring then social media will take care of the rest.

Return to “Kitesurfing”