Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

foiling gybes! Finally!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Tone
Very Frequent Poster

foiling gybes! Finally!

Postby Tone » Sat May 07, 2016 5:43 pm

today was a good day, I can now roll tack 95% of the time, sometimes on the foil. Gybes have been a real test for me, I hurt myself a few times and it really put me off them but today, FINALLY I nailed about 10 gybes and about 3 or so on the foil the whole way through!

so stoked right now.

That's all
Tony

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: foiling gybes! FINALLY!

Postby davesails7 » Sat May 07, 2016 6:31 pm

Nice!

I've just landed a few for the first time in the last week. Difficult to commit to start downlooping when all wobbly on the board switching feet :-? That wound up being my problem though. I was hesitating too much to start the downloop. It is a great feeling when you finally get through one and feels easier than I thought it would!

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Sat May 07, 2016 7:41 pm

davesails7 wrote:and feels easier than I thought it would!
because it is easy :D
well done!
I enjoy it too once on HP560 or HP580.
BTW.
I noticed that my main mistake of air jibes was rather stupid - I tried to do the footwork in two steps instead one.
Once I've begun to do direct strap to strap transitions all went so smooth :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 07, 2016 8:08 pm

Awesome Tone, congratz - it is GREAT !!!

I still find it really difficult :o

Works now and then full foiling, but not that often, yet... :wink:

Has to be said - I dont do it the easy way I think - as I dont like the race jibe where you switch your feet first and then carve.

I carve around and switch feet 2/3 through the turn when no kitepull, and no straps to fix the positions - and none of this makes it easier I think :roll:

For me, the best feel is to carve leaning face inside the turn like when riding waves, and then you can either (try to) make a jibe or carve back on a wave - instead of having chosen beforehand.

Maybe silly, but this is how I want to do it, just like on a waveboard or windsurf board :thumb:
And yes, I might be a slow learner maybe...

8) Peter

Icharus
Medium Poster
Gear: foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: foiling gybes! Finally!

Postby Icharus » Sun May 08, 2016 10:17 am

congrats - still hurting myself trying to change feet. Having the wrong kite - i.e. 1 that switches too slow or fast is my perceived culprit - could be just kidding - it could be my lack of talent!

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:50 pm

The other thing that helped me get my first foiling jibes was practicing my surface jibes in the way I would do my foiling jibes.

Since day one of foiling, I was doing surface jibes same as I did on surfboards, turn to toeside and then switch my feet. Usually without looping the kite. When I went to do the usual foiling jibe it was totally different than what I was used to.

Then I started practiced a few surface jibes with the foiling jibe steps (kite up, switch feet, loop kite, carve through the turn). That really helped to get the timing of the kiteloop down.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Sun May 08, 2016 6:49 pm

Tone wrote:today was a good day, I can now roll tack 95% of the time, sometimes on the foil. Gybes have been a real test for me
:thumb:

I'm just the opposite. Roll tack still alludes me. Not that unusual. Locally there is a mix of foilers who find one easier than the other.
I found that flatness of the water make a lot of difference in ease of learning. Even with foil. I'm still working on switching feet after toeside turn (my toeside riding is not that efficient), but doing it before turn is easy now, unless very choppy or if I'm underpowered in a lull. Next on the list is strap to strap switch and then hopefully doing them without moving kite overhead. That should allow me to switch my feet anytime during the carve

andrepen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buzios, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Been thanked: 0

Postby andrepen » Mon May 09, 2016 1:46 am

I find the roll tack 1000 times more difficult than the foiling jibe.

Am I the only one?

I am sticking 100% of my foiling jibes almost, and never managed to do a roll tack without touching the water.

What is my problem?

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon May 09, 2016 8:46 am

You are not the only one. No worries.
Strapped vs. strapless seems to make a big difference, at least during the learning process. Straps allow you to 'cheat' and pull the board around and up as needed, while strapless everything needs to be more clean and smooth.
Either way, it is a not an easy maneuver.
Never give up!

Cheers,
Frank

www.kite-hydrofoil.de/hydrofoil

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon May 09, 2016 8:58 am

I ride both strap and strapless, but beginner level (ride at any angle and wind condition without falling, but no transitions); to learn toe side riding and S-Jybes without foot switching for now, do you recommend me to learn them strap or strapless ? If you have tips with and without strap , i am curious.

BTW I use both large winfg ( easy ) and carving wing (wave). I was thinking that Easy should have been better to learn transitions; this indeed allows to turn slower, but with my light weight and short feet, I encountered difficulties to make the foil change its direction and turn 180 degree with the large easy compared to the agile wave. Do you think it would be an error to learn transitions with Wave wing ?

Return to “Hydrofoil”