Rare Poster
Local Beach: The gorge
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bar too far away

Postby snmhanson » Tue May 17, 2016 5:13 pm

I am a relatively new kiteboarder and it often feels that my bar is too far away from me. It seems I have to either sheet in too much to keep my hands on the bar, or bend at the waist and reach for the bar to be able to keep my hands on it. This is more pronounced when I am overpowered of course since I want to lean back more and sheet out at the same time, but even when I am just fully powered it can happen. Can anyone tell me if this is due to how I am setting my kite up or does it have more to do with my form? I windsurfed for over 20 years before kiting so maybe it's something transferring over from that. In windsurfing I generally used short harness lines as I liked being close to the boom. I guess I could use the trim line and adjust the settings on the kite, but that seems like a band-aid rather than a permanent fix. In any case, I feel like the bar should be closer to my body but can't see a way to make it happen without oversheeting or bending at the waist. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Bar too far away

Postby experienced1 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:18 pm

try replacing your depower loop with a smaller one. Also, not all spread bars hooks are the same; get the shortest one you can find. by doing both you can effectively bring the bar 4" closer
steve

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Tue May 17, 2016 5:20 pm

What kind of bar is it? And what year?

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Tue May 17, 2016 5:22 pm

Rig your back lines an inch or two longer or pull in a bit of front line depower.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue May 17, 2016 5:47 pm

snmhanson wrote:I am a relatively new kiteboarder and it often feels that my bar is too far away from me. It seems I have to either sheet in too much to keep my hands on the bar, or bend at the waist and reach for the bar to be able to keep my hands on it. This is more pronounced when I am overpowered of course since I want to lean back more and sheet out at the same time, but even when I am just fully powered it can happen. Can anyone tell me if this is due to how I am setting my kite up or does it have more to do with my form? I windsurfed for over 20 years before kiting so maybe it's something transferring over from that. In windsurfing I generally used short harness lines as I liked being close to the boom. I guess I could use the trim line and adjust the settings on the kite, but that seems like a band-aid rather than a permanent fix. In any case, I feel like the bar should be closer to my body but can't see a way to make it happen without oversheeting or bending at the waist. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
#1 If you have too much power and you are force to ride with the bar sheeted way out then you should move to smaller kite. You should be able to ride comfortable powered with the the bar 3" - 4" away from the chickenloop.
#2 Learn to control your speed and power using your board. Your board is the brake.

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Tue May 17, 2016 6:05 pm

Well-designed bars have adjustable throw. Check your bar's manual to see if/how you can shorten the throw.

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly

Postby seaplus » Tue May 17, 2016 6:08 pm

I agree with Laughingman...you're prolly rigging too large a kite. Too big of a kite will also cause your harness to ride up thus increasing the stretch even more.
New kiters like being a tad overpowered when on the water but that tends to cause more disadvantage to your performance/progression.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue May 17, 2016 6:12 pm

Are you wearing a seat or a waist harness? Seat will keep the bar low and closer to you, a waist will keep it almost as low and close if it is not riding up. If its riding up you need to learn the proper stance to stop this from happening.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue May 17, 2016 6:13 pm

Your answer is your band aid. Trim the kite that's what it is there for. You trim to move the position of the bar to your comfortable riding position. If it becomes too much then you need to rig to a smaller kite.

Micro trim with the bar for gusts and lulls. Trim with the trim line for the winds your in.

I don't use the trim knots at the kite as they really are not needed. I only use these if my center lines are stretched out to delay tuning my bar.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue May 17, 2016 6:16 pm

you can adjust the bar for shorter throw. north has a very easy adjustment you just pull at the stopper and adjust it other bars have stoppers too, ozone uses a bolt you screw into the chicken line a bit more clumsy, some bars dont come with a stopper, for instance the naish control bar but you can get a plain old bolt from the hardware store and put it through the chicken line for a stopper. You can also change the chicken loop if you have really short arms, and shorten the chicken loop itself, how hard this is to do depends on the type of control bar, some you just saw off the end and screw it back in place others you have to splice a new chicken line. If you do a quick search of the forum you'll find hundreds of bar mods some people get rid of the spreader bar hook entirely, this brings the control bar even closer to you. I would first try only setting a stopper don't try any of these other mods until you have a few hundred hours on the water that way you aren't constantly modding your bar as your form changes. Once you have your form down you can do more mods that bring the bar exactly to where you want it to be. I don't think there is a huge difference between where the windsurfers and kiteboarders hold their boom/control bar. It should be comfortable.

Return to “Kitesurfing”