acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

selecting a kiteboard

Postby acctx » Sat May 28, 2016 4:02 pm

ive been kiting a few years now and need a new board. I have realized though I have no idea of what I want in a board.

my higher wind board is a 132x42 crazy fly raptor which I hate because of massive face spray. Literally constant over chop. On smooth water it is fine. It pops fine, and otherwise is good.

I want a 132 board to replace it but Im not sure if smaller would be fine. Either shorter or narrower. Not sure about flex, pop, rocker etc.

My other boards are an ocean rodeo mako. I have a love hate relationship with this board. It is awesome in the swell, never catching an edge, it feels like a surfboard, but it doesnt go upwind well at all and not a lot of pop for jumps. I need to be powered up to enjoy this board. Some days it is like butter in the swell.

I have a 163 door which is awesome for light wind and I use it a ton. It is hard to do jumps with because of the size. But otherwise i love this board. It even does well in swell riding almost like a surfboard. This is probably my most used board as our wind is very up and down.

I have a slingshot misfish (old epoxy surfboard) which rides a little harsh, but otherwise is solid.

The crazyfly seems relatively fine in every way except the face spray. But it is the only small board I have ever ridden so Im not sure if there is something Im totally missing. I like to buy used boards - I definitely dont want to pay $500 for a board, especially not knowing what I like in a board. Im worried about getting another board with face spray again so that is my number one priority, but other than that I would like some thoughts about how to determine what boards i like given that it is almost impossible to demo boards.

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Re: selecting a kiteboard

Postby alfredo68 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Shinn Monk

coolhari2000
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CJ Brown
Favorite Beaches: Hawaii
Style: regular
Gear: 2014 - 7m Switchblade
2016- 10m Screamer LTD
2013 - 12m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Epic, Crazy Fly

Postby coolhari2000 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Hey Acctx

I am in the same boat/board as you. CF raptor (ltd) 132. I find the chop quite annoying along with its stiffness killing my gimp knee.

Anyway, After about 100 hrs of reading. These two 3 boards are at the top of my list

- Shinn Monk/monkette
- Nobile NHP (split)
- Brokite board

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Sat May 28, 2016 9:39 pm

Bro kite is awesome !
I have the 136 hybrid. Really good in choppy conditions - no edge catching no spray so smooth. Great pop. Good upwind. Very light which is nice for boosting.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat May 28, 2016 10:14 pm

Sound like you have a high wind board with the Mako and a light wind board with the door. I think you need an intermediate board around the 136x42 ish size

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Sat May 28, 2016 11:19 pm

Add the f-one trax to your list, awesome board in chop while still having good freestyle properties, no face spray.

nick14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: rosebud, st kilda, brighton
Gear: 2014 naish park 12m
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly

Postby nick14 » Sat May 28, 2016 11:51 pm

coolhari2000 wrote:Hey Acctx

I am in the same boat/board as you. CF raptor (ltd) 132. I find the chop quite annoying along with its stiffness killing my gimp knee.

Anyway, After about 100 hrs of reading. These two 3 boards are at the top of my list

- Shinn Monk/monkette
- Nobile NHP (split)
- Brokite board
I have both the shinn monk and the nobile NHP split. The monk is much better than the NHP but don't think that you will not get spray in the face with this board. It will still happen just not as much. I ride a 132 monk and 134 NHP.

h11t0n
Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Coast Park, Singapore; Trikora Beach + Agro Beach, Bintan;
Favorite Beaches: Adam's Bridge, Mannar, Sri Lanka; Kalipitiya, Sri Lanka;
Style: Freeride
Gear: Stats
=====
Heavy weight 90kg 180cms

Kites
====
F-One Bandit 6 (8m,11m,14m)
Ozone Zephyr 2014 17m

Boards
======
Shinn Monk Midnight Lover (135 × 42)
Shinn Shinnster
Shinn Speedball W18 Gen 1
Nobile Flying Carpet (160 × 46)

Harness
=======
Mystic Code 01
Brand Affiliation: None but willing to sell out to the first person who puts enough money in my hand.......;).

Postby h11t0n » Sun May 29, 2016 3:04 pm

I ride a Monk. Great board, fast, fantastic build quality and phenomenal in chop. You will have a lot of fun with the Monk. If its money no object go for its carbon cousin the Bronq. If you want a similar 'Shinn feel' but even better upwind ability than the Monk try the Ultrasonic.

As regards the Carbon F-One Trax.......rides well, average upwind ability but I'm sorry shitty build quality. I had the 2013 it started delaminating after the second session.

andy00
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core
Shinn

Postby andy00 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:11 pm

+1 for Shinn, I have used the monk and I own the Bronq. Very little spray from both, I ride the 135x41 (I'm 85kg).

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Sun May 29, 2016 5:25 pm

Another recommendation for the monk. No face spray at all, quite good in chop, also excellent in slicks. I would describe it is very aggressive in that it seems to want to grip the water on the turns more than you intend to, and pop more than you planned to; that they built this into a board that is also comfortable to ride is a real accomplishment. I haven't used any other Shinn boards so can't compare to the others, but the monk is the best twin tip I've ever used. As for size, there is a size chart on the website, I got the recommended size for my weight (130x41), I sometimes wish I got a size bigger, but overall it works really well for me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”