Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do 2012 Slingshot Rally's Have a Cult Following?

Forum for kitesurfers
Cmizzy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long beach
Gear: 2012 slingshot rally 14
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Do 2012 Slingshot Rally's Have a Cult Following?

Postby Cmizzy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:55 pm

I just entered into the sport recently and a good buddy who has kited for years said I should try and find an older 2012 Slingshot Rally for my local wind conditions. I sail in Malibu and Long Beach CA, so I'll be using a 14m most days fiveb lighter wind.

I called around and heard from multiple shops that finding a good 2012 14m is like fetching a unicorn and that is has a cult following. Is this a foolish task and am I unrealistic looking for a 3-4yr old kite, or is it that good?

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Re: Do 2012 Slingshot Rally's Have a Cult Following?

Postby corbett » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:59 pm

I'm not aware of any kite having a cult following.

2012 Slingshot rally is meaningless to me. It's just another kite. You took what your friend said too literally.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:14 pm

Lots of kites have had a cult following.

06-11 waroo in 9m
9m smoke
9m bandit
Torches
Fuels
Clouds
2012 Rally

To name a few. These were all great kites. I have owned them all.... well my wainman is a size smaller and my rally is newer, but there is merit in understanding which kites were well liked and why then scoring them cheap when the opportunity presents itself.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Slingshot claims the 2016 has brought back the magic of the 2012 kite, if that means anything.
I have never rode a Rally but lots of others around here do , and I have heard the 2012 was the fan favorite.

Your local shop should be your best source for what's best for your area, also go to the beach and see what the locals(not newbies) are riding...

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:47 pm

Yeah, the 2011/2012 Rally was a really nice kite. Great feel, light, fast, wide wind range. However, it suffered from a flaw that had the wingtips momentarily buckle if you had it out overpowered or you took it at full power through the power zone. Not a common occurrence for most, but a pretty common occurrence for newbies. It still flew fine but was disconcerting to feel it happen.

So, because of that it was redesigned, the problem went away, and despite the marketing spin the 2013-2016 Rally has maintained relatively unchanged. And the kites are a little larger than the 2011/2012 designs.
matth wrote:Slingshot claims the 2016 has brought back the magic of the 2012 kite, if that means anything...
...it means that SS heard people liked the 2012 so they printed "Now flies like the 2012!" on the 2016 kite promo material. ;)

I'm a big fan of the kite and I get a kick out of the marketing spin by ALL kite companies. This has been such a favorite kite for me that it's one of the few I have flown progressive years back to back and feel I know where the changes were. No worries, though. It's still a great kite. Rock solid.

Best is to demo. If you want a Rally, you'll do fine with any year so don't stress too much about what you get. Newer is going to be better for you, though, with less chance of material breakdown over time or a prior owner beating it up before selling it to you. So, while your buddy has a man-crush on an old kite, don't feel like you have to buy the same year.

Cmizzy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long beach
Gear: 2012 slingshot rally 14

Postby Cmizzy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:03 pm

Very very helpful guys. Thank you a ton. i rang a couple more national shops who uttered the same and said plenty of new Korea are great but if I can find a '12 rally that size, I should snag it around $750-1000 assuming it's in good condition. The used life universe is unlike most others I've seen. Thanks again.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:25 am

With all due respect, Cmizzy....I would NEVER pay $750-$1000 for a 5 year old kite NEW let alone USED (the 2012 model came out in 2011).
The 2011/2012 Rally is a great kite, but it's not some rare diamond that should be going up in value. I'm sure you can find killer deals on 2014-2015 Rallys for $500-$800 brand new. Look around. I think some of the Florida SS online kite stores always seem to have sick deals on last years models.

You can get the 2015 Rally, in a 10 or 11M for $800 direct from Slingshot!
Your "friend" is sending you on a snipe hunt. You're a new kiter, you won't know the difference. As long as it launches easily and depowers nicely, you're set. Rally has a great wind range which helps if you are kiting in an area with rapidly changing wind conditions. That's why I like it where I fly.
If you need lighter bar pressure, get the Wave SST instead. It's a great allaround kite and stays up in a lull like no kite I've ever flown. There is nothing about that advanced wave kite that would make it unattractive to a beginner. The things is super stable in the air and very forgiving to fly. Your buddy might like one of those also.

nescio
Rare Poster
Gear: F-one Bandit, Slingshot Rally

Postby nescio » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:00 pm

I happen to own a 9m 2012 rally. I love it but am not aware of being part of a cult. And I can't really compare it to 9ms of other years. I would definitely say it's fast and responsive and stable.

Can say though that I recently was out on a 12m 2013 rally. Which was basically like hauling around a ton of bricks. Halfway during the session I changed to a 14m Bandit 6. Which was much quicker, more responsive and roughly about a 1000 tons lighter in my hands than the 12m.
Both kites got me going though. It depends a lot on personal preference. Which you will discover after a while and by trying out different kites. So I'd say don't spend a lot of money on a second hand just because it was a particularly fine vintage that year..

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:08 pm

I think the "Cult Following" is from the strapless wave riders. I have a 10m and a 12m.
It's standout feature.......
Fast pivotal turning/looping without massive pull.
Other characteristics..sheet n go, very stable/easy handling, descent drift, easy relaunch, no pulleys :D
IMO, these kites excel in more side-on conditions where you need to loop and redirect your kite a lot. I have also tried a more recent version of the 5-strut 12m Rally(2013/2014?)and have to agree the previous poster. It felt much heavier and slower and not as nimble as the 2012 3 strut version.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:21 pm

You will probably get a better overall kite and value (including resale value) if you buy a new closeout kite, like 2015 or maybe some 2014. You can find brand new kites 30 to 50% off list price.
There are many excellent light wind kites developed in past 2 years.
Do a search on closeout models in reputable online kite shops. Then google for reviews to see it the kite is right for the type of riding you want to do.
2nd hand buying is better for experienced kiters that know exactly what they want and can spot a lemon.

Good luck!

Return to “Kitesurfing”