Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Boost 1 vs Boost 2?

Forum for kitesurfers
rofer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None :(
Gear: Anything I can get my hands on.
Kites include fixed bridles, nasa wings, closed foils, and arcs.
I've got a snowboard, mountainboard, and two kiteboards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Flysurfer Boost 1 vs Boost 2?

Postby rofer » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:36 pm

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in on how much has changed with the Flysurfer boost 1 vs boost 2.

Boost 1
From what I'd found it sounds like the boost 1 was pretty heavily focused on boosting (shocking, I know). I've seen it described as a rather advanced or brutal kite, like a more aggressive ozone edge.

Boost 2
On the other hand, it seems like the boost 2 is being marketed as more of a freeride kite which you can hand to a beginner, while still having the ability to go huge.

It sounds like something changed, but I haven't seen anyone compare the two against each other. Can anyone explain what's different?

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Re: Flysurfer Boost 1 vs Boost 2?

Postby Nem0 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:58 pm

Short translation from oase.com for sizes 7m², 9m² und 11m²
- the 2nd turns faster, like one size smaller of the 1st
- the 2nd is a little bit more direct then the 1st. From size 11 and bigger you can realy feel the differenz
- the HighEnd is higher at the 2nd
- the LowEnd is a little bit better at the 1st

There was nothing said about more or less aggressivity!?!

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:14 am

I had all of the original Boost kites and now have the Boost 2 kites.

The only difference that most people would notice is the inflation valve. The new SUP valve is really nice. Nothing really wrong with the old valve system but it used a dangle that you stuck in the valve to let all the air out. I never had a problem with it but it did seem a little unconventional.

They use a new fabric but most would not notice the difference, both are very nice fabrics. They made some changes in the tube sizing and I believe that every tube size is now different. Here again, probably would not notice. They adjusted the bridle a little, adjusted the attachment points a little. You can still make adjustments on the larger kites but I find the differences kind of subtle.

I can't think of any other changes but the main point is that they are similar. They fly upwind really well and boost really smoothly. I think it is because they are a little higher aspect ratio. I find them to be very predictable and handle gusts well.

rofer
Medium Poster

Postby rofer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:18 am

How's the 18m as a lightwind kite? I'm looking to replace my 2013 Flite 17.5m with something that'll stay in the air a little longer. I was going to go with a newer model Flite, but not seeing many pop up used I'm considering an 18m Boost.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Sail Bay - San Diego

Postby sedluk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:55 am

I had a 2015 Flite 17m, it was a nice kite but I preferred the Boost. I can't say that there was a big difference in pull. If you can get up to speed with the 18m Boost it seems to benefit just a little more from apparent wind. The percent difference between a 17/17.5/18 is pretty small, less than 6%.

rofer
Medium Poster

Postby rofer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:19 am

Thanks! Can you say much about the relaunch and absolute bottom end of both of them? For my lightwind kite I'm looking for something that will (eventually) get me moving with a hydrofoil in the lightest winds.

Mostly I'm interested in grabbing a 9m Boost for when my 12m Cronix starts to get uncomfortable, but an 18m is starting to sound pretty nice too.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Sail Bay - San Diego

Postby sedluk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:15 am

I really like the reverse launch of both the 15m and 18m Boost. When the kite is nose down in the water, pull back on both steering lines and the kite will reverse itself up into the air. Snap one of the lines and it will turn quickly and then let go of the other line and up it will go. It takes a little practice and you still need a reasonable amount of wind. I am guessing that it takes 10 mph of wind to reverse launch. The Speed 4 kites will reverse launch in less wind. This is not really much of an issue for a TT because I probably need 10 mph to stay upwind. I could be off a little on the wind speed but it does take some wind. At some locations were you are up against the shore and there is a tree line and the wind is less, it can be frustrating trying to relaunch.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:34 pm

I bought a brand new boost2 in good discount, 5m; here is the test video ; I like it a lot , compatible with those irregular conditions on a hydrofoil.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:45 pm

Boost is a nice kite to boost, easy and with good hangtime. When I tested it it was 13m v1 and there certainly wasn't anything aggressive in it. That one had some TE bridle but I don't remember if I noticed any advantage.

For a narrow wing tip delta (which certainly are not my favorites) Boost behaved well

Return to “Kitesurfing”