Maveric Kiteboards - new skegless technology from South Afri

Forum for kitesurfers
RobC
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby RobC » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:16 pm

Nah - it works well. The concaves are on the ends of the board - and the middle is pretty flat. Look, like any board you have to be careful not to catch a rail but I have found very little differnce from the conventional board in terms of this. We are still developing it and refining it - like we are rounding the nose off. We are also looking at fitting a polyeurathane "bumper" on the nose for added protection for the rider. We are trying to make it as user friendly as possible.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:40 pm

ok, makes sense.
I thought it is concave all the way.
Let us know when you have new pics available.
Sounds interesting for sure!

Toby

RobC
Rare Poster

Postby RobC » Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:31 pm

Hoping for wind tomorrow mate, as I am dying to get this board back in the water and in some real wind again. I will send some photos as soon as but at least this is the start of Durban's windy season. Just remember, you won't know if you don't go!

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:44 pm

Doesn't make the bended edge the board very stiff? I can't imagine this board to be very flexible.

Just a thought.

RobC
Rare Poster

Postby RobC » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:57 pm

The board is amazingly flexible - but that is mainly on the ends, funnily enough, but this actually helps you ride the board.

bruno
Medium Poster

Postby bruno » Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:42 am

Congratulations guys! Good work. Even if in the end it may not be the holy grale, it's definitely worth trying.
The amount of spray we create with a twintip and the noise that it makes is indeed an enormous loss of energy and thus inefficiency.
Don't listen to the conservationists. If we had to rely on them for R&D, we would still be windsurfing with daggerboards.

Cheers!

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:47 am

I can sorta understand how this would work though.

The rail actually becomes a direction board style fin when you're edging (with more weight required on the rear foot where most of the concave is), while as you flatten off, you will have a similar effect to most boards with the flat centre and the ability to slide the board flat if you need to on turns. When you ride flat though, the concave rails should have the same effect as two fins though...in theory...of course, I don't have access to the board and nasa wind/water tunnel facilities for testing though :grin:

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:09 pm

I am very interested in new designs and developments. I think that this type of radical designs has to be done and perhaps give us some knew knowkedge. (heavy channel at the rail may work for edging)
At the same time I have no doubts that this is not the future of kiteboards.
We have to recognize that every board sport has it father: surfing and partially in our sport waterskiing.
If you watch at the surfboard development you will find that nothing radical has done its way to the future.
Today boards are not radical, they are REFINED.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:44 pm

I don't believe this is true. For some sports it may be, but for others not.

What we have taken currently, is effectively a water wing, not even originally designed for kitingboarding (if you look at the oiginal purpose of the LEI) and a surfboard/wakeboard, not designed for kiting and put them together.

Windsurfing virtually uses a fixed sail, very different to kiting. This design as mentioned on the page is taken from a hull design used for yachting, also a wind sport. IN yachting, boats are subject to huge wind forces, hence the reason they looked into this design. (obviously believing it to be better than a windsurfer type large fin which was previously used in yachts) A large portion of boats on the sea use a cat type hull design, and a concave bottom is simply a catamaran style design.

We have current taken a sport, used equipment from other sports and put them together, and you are expecting them to already be at their best simply requiring some refinement? The best way is not necessarily the way everyone is currently going. LEI's were considered the way forward, but flysurfer is already making enough waves to have people turning heads. I am not saying this is the way forward, but I am saying people are turning their heads and its beginning to make them ask questions.

Each time someone produces a radical design like this, people will turn their heads, and only time will tell us what the best is. It could be that we have a completely new wing structure take out both LEI's and Foils, but without people asking questions, all that will happen is a simple refinement of the current.

Boat hulls are changing, people are moving back to diesel from petrol, etc. Nobody knows whats gonna happen. Time is the only answer.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:47 pm

Hi bru,

Why not bring the board to see @ Orlando Surf Show for the world?
I am exited to hear the latest result because
I want to get one.

DrLightWind

Return to “Kitesurfing”