Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wingtip collapse, Cause and Fixes

For all foil kite riders
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Wingtip collapse, Cause and Fixes

Postby Mossy 757 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:56 pm

Glad to hear, sounds a lot better now.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:11 am

Jzh_perth wrote:
logsdon wrote:Have this problem on my Sonic 11m out of the bag. Messed with the bridle some and will see hopefully on Tuesday if I fix it. Which kite is doing this to you? I want to see if this is a regular occurring thing on certain kite models.
I've had many customers with Sonic's now and it's critical that you have the correct front / rear line lengths. Sounds like you have a brand new kite - I assume a new bar aswell ? After about 10 flying hours your rear lines will have shrunk and you'll need to lengthen by a knot or so under the bar floats. This is normal.

If your mixer is not ABCZ all equal, then reset to that. We had a couple delivered slightly out of whack.

Sonic should fly well with neutral mixer, but as others have mentioned you can shorten B / C 1cm at a time to reduce camber and increase stability.

Occasional Lower Wingtip folding when riding deep downwind ( ie foiling) is common, and required careful technique to avoid. Rear line tension here helps.
Already changed to the second knot on the steering lines. Also checked the bar and the lines are equal with trimmed out and bar pulled in so it's not the bar. My Sonic came from FS with B+C both 1cm shorter than A,Z and I've heard of other sonic owners with messed up mixers so I highly doubt equaling ABCZ will make these Sonics fly well. Right now it looks like my sonic is flying better at A=Z, B -2cm, C -1cm. If I have a couple hours with nothing to do I'll try to measure all bridle lines but this kite has been like this since day 1.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:29 am

np

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:25 pm

I really enjoy reading Threads like this ; amusing how different people look
at the same thing in Two different sports !!

On a PG ; we actually have a string we can pull, to collapse the wing tips
cell by cell, (up to 1/3 the aria of our glider) to kill the glide ratio and increase the rate
of decent, for setting up our landings . We can actually land with the tips
collapsed ; but the flair-window is really small , and if Ya don't get it right, you
might hit kinda Hard.

Bille

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:47 pm

the sonics are shipping with A and Z a little longer than B and C. both my sonics came that way. they all fly just fine with the occasional tip tuck. u cannot get away from some tick tucking on these kites its the nature of the thin profile. if u want a kite that has a lot less of tucking then look in to the speed series. how often do u get tip tuckin is it every session? is it during launch -(which is normal) or during flying? I wont go messing with bridles on till ure sure u have a problem .

logsdon wrote:
Jzh_perth wrote:
logsdon wrote:Have this problem on my Sonic 11m out of the bag. Messed with the bridle some and will see hopefully on Tuesday if I fix it. Which kite is doing this to you? I want to see if this is a regular occurring thing on certain kite models.
I've had many customers with Sonic's now and it's critical that you have the correct front / rear line lengths. Sounds like you have a brand new kite - I assume a new bar aswell ? After about 10 flying hours your rear lines will have shrunk and you'll need to lengthen by a knot or so under the bar floats. This is normal.

If your mixer is not ABCZ all equal, then reset to that. We had a couple delivered slightly out of whack.

Sonic should fly well with neutral mixer, but as others have mentioned you can shorten B / C 1cm at a time to reduce camber and increase stability.

Occasional Lower Wingtip folding when riding deep downwind ( ie foiling) is common, and required careful technique to avoid. Rear line tension here helps.
Already changed to the second knot on the steering lines. Also checked the bar and the lines are equal with trimmed out and bar pulled in so it's not the bar. My Sonic came from FS with B+C both 1cm shorter than A,Z and I've heard of other sonic owners with messed up mixers so I highly doubt equaling ABCZ will make these Sonics fly well. Right now it looks like my sonic is flying better at A=Z, B -2cm, C -1cm. If I have a couple hours with nothing to do I'll try to measure all bridle lines but this kite has been like this since day 1.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:04 pm

I have seen sonics that don't tip tuck at all in flight and I have seen just about every foil tip tuck, depends on the settings.

Bigears, Armin from flysurfer seemed a bit obsessed with it for a while.

Return to “Foil Kites”