Forum for kitesurfers
kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2016 Cabrinha TrimLite 1X Jam

Postby kitegirls » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:04 am

Clew In wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2392762&p=932608&hi ... d1#p932608

Cabrinha told me it was from sand on the beach (bunch of hogwash). Cabrinha was blowing me off and wanted me to take it back to the place of purchase and since the store is 8 hrs away I have not been taken it in yet.

Clew In

I also noticed they changed the plastic stopper to metal on the new Fireball bars.
It's not from sand. My bar is brand new. It did it the 9th time I used it.

danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby danidr » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:42 am

kitegirls wrote:
Does the "safety bungee and the first segment of the front line for replacement" correct the problem or are you saying that this is just a replacement (replica) for the issue once it breaks and becomes a real issue?
It doesn't fix the problem, you just go back to a new line that is not frayed but will start fraying again the moment you start having this union go through the tube. It's a big problem because even if you don't flag often, you should check that your safety works periodically, and that implies getting such knot through the pu tubing. Just a wider entrance that has no sharp edges would fix the problem, It's unimaginable that the bar design is so clean and simple and they overlooked this. Kite lines don't like sharp edges!!

If the 2017 bars don't have this fixed... well I would really know Pete's opinion on why they didn't fix it even if it's so apparent to them. My first guess is that fixing this implies that the design is wrong on the 2016 model, and they would need to recall all bars. The PU tube entrance is not easy to replace so they would need to either take the bars in or replace the whole thing.

To end the rant, I'm not so mad that this problem exists. If Cabrinha sent me 3 replacement bungees, I know that I just need to replace that piece every season and they are being proactive about safety. I'm mad because Cabrinha not only didn't acknowledge the defect, they actively told me it's my fault with some sand and other environmental BS.

kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.

Postby kitegirls » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:12 am

danidr wrote:
kitegirls wrote:
Does the "safety bungee and the first segment of the front line for replacement" correct the problem or are you saying that this is just a replacement (replica) for the issue once it breaks and becomes a real issue?
It doesn't fix the problem, you just go back to a new line that is not frayed but will start fraying again the moment you start having this union go through the tube. It's a big problem because even if you don't flag often, you should check that your safety works periodically, and that implies getting such knot through the pu tubing. Just a wider entrance that has no sharp edges would fix the problem, It's unimaginable that the bar design is so clean and simple and they overlooked this. Kite lines don't like sharp edges!!

If the 2017 bars don't have this fixed... well I would really know Pete's opinion on why they didn't fix it even if it's so apparent to them. My first guess is that fixing this implies that the design is wrong on the 2016 model, and they would need to recall all bars. The PU tube entrance is not easy to replace so they would need to either take the bars in or replace the whole thing.

To end the rant, I'm not so mad that this problem exists. If Cabrinha sent me 3 replacement bungees, I know that I just need to replace that piece every season and they are being proactive about safety. I'm mad because Cabrinha not only didn't acknowledge the defect, they actively told me it's my fault with some sand and other environmental BS.
They're lying. It's not you're fault. It's clearly a design flaw if its happening on a 2 week old bar. They aren't changing/admitting it becasue they already had a recall in 2016 (dangerous spring flaws or something on the recoil bar) and a second one would be trouble. If the jam was happening fully powered they would be forced to recall but it happens depowered which is actually just as dangerous. Many of the places which I kite have shifty winds and winds that shut down as well as 20 foot sharks and sharp, rocky, dangerous landings if you cannot get back up wind. Just yesterday I lost wind 3/4 mile out and didn't have enough kite to get to my feet and had to drag into the rocks. Also landing a kite in gusty winds fully depowered (jammed) is dangerous and sketchy for the pilot and everyone in the beach.

KiteDR
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cabarete, Minnesota
Favorite Beaches: Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica; Cabarete Bay
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Cabrinha, Shinn
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteDR » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:27 am

Can someone post a picture of the exact placement of the jam?

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Postby Kykeon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:56 am

KiteDR wrote:Can someone post a picture of the exact placement of the jam?
Look at the first post here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2392762
Last edited by Kykeon on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:25 am

matth wrote: I rarely flag , but I will give it a try.
If you have an emergency and have to flag out who're you gonna call, Ghost Busters? :wink:

Seriously, it's a primary safety feature not an optional "nice to have"! :-?

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:04 pm

kitegirls wrote:
Clew In wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2392762&p=932608&hi ... d1#p932608

Cabrinha told me it was from sand on the beach (bunch of hogwash). Cabrinha was blowing me off and wanted me to take it back to the place of purchase and since the store is 8 hrs away I have not been taken it in yet.

Clew In

I also noticed they changed the plastic stopper to metal on the new Fireball bars.
It's not from sand. My bar is brand new. It did it the 9th time I used it.

I have used my bar only 4 times and I only pulled the QR two times to see how the kite flagged out. I have reset the QR only 4 to 5 times and there is wear on the flag line. It is not from sand.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:07 pm

KiteDR wrote:Can someone post a picture of the exact placement of the jam?

Check this link out for pictures:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2392762&p=932608&hi ... d1#p932608

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:11 pm

iriejohn wrote:
matth wrote: I rarely flag , but I will give it a try.
If you have an emergency and have to flag out who're you gonna call, Ghost Busters? :wink:

Seriously, it's a primary safety feature not an optional "nice to have"! :-?
The kite flags fine, its resetting the bar that can be an issue if there is no tension on the flag line. Did you read my post?

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:51 pm

Similar problem with 2015 bar and the reason I dumped Cabrinha. So little care and consideration in ensuring their safety systems work reliably with no assistance when I contacted them about the issue. They are on my scumbag manufacturer list.

Return to “Kitesurfing”