Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best Foil and Board Set-Up for Airstyle?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
janhantke
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Munich/Ammersee
Favorite Beaches: Leucate: Les Palmes
Pelzerhaken
Grüner Brink
Achensee
Lake Garda
Valencia
Style: Old school
Gear: Best TS 6+10+15
Anton + North Board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best Foil and Board Set-Up for Airstyle?

Postby janhantke » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:02 pm

Hello,

as I love big airs and coming from a beginner foil (Double Agent) Im wondering what is the bet set-up (Foil + Board) for going big?

Not keen on super speed and race. Does anybody know if there is a wing/board set-up dedicated to jumping and landing board-offs, etc.? And what are the characteristics of a wing with a focus on getting high up in the air and landing smoothly?

Much appreciate your thoughts,
Jan

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Best Foil and Board Set-Up for Airstyle?

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:26 pm

janhantke wrote:Hello,

as I love big airs and coming from a beginner foil (Double Agent) Im wondering what is the bet set-up (Foil + Board) for going big?

Not keen on super speed and race. Does anybody know if there is a wing/board set-up dedicated to jumping and landing board-offs, etc.? And what are the characteristics of a wing with a focus on getting high up in the air and landing smoothly?

Jan
I'm not sure if there's a product that's currently being marketed as an airstyle foil, but here are attributes you'd want to look for:

1) Durable. People have broken foils landing on them flat footed. Slipping the foil into the water wing-first is a crucial skill for smoothly landing a trick, but until you have that mastered coming down hard and flat on a carbon race foil could really screw it up.

2) Fast. Whether or not it's built for raw speed, the foil should be able to go at least 20mph comfortably so that you can really load up your line tension. The same rules for boosting that apply to twin tips apply to foils, you need to be going fast on a close reach then bear away and send the kite to get good air, so you want a foil that can do this with stability where you're not on the edge of control just to generate some pop.

3) Light. This one should be fairly obvious, but any time you're trying to go high the key is to simplify your gear and add as much lightness "below the bar" as possible.

I think the Double Agent checks the first box, but it certainly does not check the 2nd or 3rd. I don't want to scare you off a carbon foil because I think they're way way way way way better than aluminum foils, but for jumping it may be too much of a compromise on criteria #1. I've heard people say that Alex Aguera's GoFoil are pretty good, they're all carbon and apparently very strong, and he makes a freeride wing that should be a good compromise between speed and user-friendliness.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:28 pm

Light and strong :D.
Can't quite recommend any particular model, but Ketos pocket board looks good to me. The foil obviously should be fast for a good take off. Spotz 2 feels jumpy (light and fast) but I'm not sure about its durability. Many brands offer "speed/jumping" front wings they are smaller than race/freeride wings.

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:32 pm

Just hit 20 feet on my Hoverglide set up yesterday. It's not light but you can really load it for the pop. I think you can go way higher on that foil with time.

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139

Postby flyingcamel » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:12 am

the lift foil does me good, light, stable, and durable. just make sure you adjust your landing technique so you stop the drop a little higher than you normally would so its lighter for foil entry and dont damage your setup unless your very consistent at getting that front wing first

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:32 am

janhantke wrote:Hello,

Jan
Hmmm, I would say it is purely the super speed and race wings, that are good for this - as speed in lower winds where you can use bigger kites, is essential for high jumps and hangtime, and smooth landings too eventhough you need a bit more speed.

Having said that - the small fast not too high AR wings will have less stress in the landing, so the fast high AR wings are maybe not the very best overall for this, would be my take :cool2:

A foil with a short light mast say 80-90cm only, and a light smaller board - handles so much easier in the air, absolutely no comparison to alu masts and bigger/heavier boards (I like the Ketos small carbon boards for jumping).

8) PF

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:04 am

janhantke
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Munich/Ammersee
Favorite Beaches: Leucate: Les Palmes
Pelzerhaken
Grüner Brink
Achensee
Lake Garda
Valencia
Style: Old school
Gear: Best TS 6+10+15
Anton + North Board
Been thanked: 0

Postby janhantke » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:30 pm

Great analysis PF for foil big air criteria! What do you think about the length of the fuselage?

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:35 pm

I am for sure not an "airstyle" guy but if the criteria is durability light weight and speed then I would consider the LP FRS foil. It's one the lightest if not the lightest foil on the market at 5 lbs and incredibly strong and stiff yet thin. I can't recall how many layers of carbon are used on the mast but I think you could literally use it to chop wood if you had to. The front wing is multi directional carbon layers and goes over the fuselage. The fuselage goes through the mast not just bolted on so it can handle stress from different directions when you stuff a landing. Excellent construction good performance totally silent and fun to ride.
Attachments
20160722_205256.jpg
LP foil

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:10 pm

pikovsg wrote:Just hit 20 feet on my Hoverglide set up yesterday. It's not light but you can really load it for the pop. I think you can go way higher on that foil with time.
You are a noob...i don't believe for one second that the bottom of your board was at a height of 20 feet....ridiculous claim .....keep em coming...hey was it in 7 miles of wind ? :lol:

Return to “Hydrofoil”