Favorite Beaches: kitepoint
Style: intermediate
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Long Island NY

Postby rmaxwell » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:17 pm

Hello,

I am going to be in Long Island this weekend with family, but I am not familiar with the area. The forecast is for NE winds. Does anyone have recommendations for launch spots? We are intermediate level kiters. Thank you.

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Re: Long Island NY

Postby vkngktr » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:34 pm

Depends where you are in LI. It's big place and difficult driving to the east end spots on the weekend. Also do you want ocean or flat water? You can call NY Kitecenter at 6316910793 and see if they have availability. They will take you out to the Great South Bay for a fee.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:22 pm

vkngktr wrote:Depends where you are in LI. It's big place and difficult driving to the east end spots on the weekend. Also do you want ocean or flat water? You can call NY Kitecenter at 6316910793 and see if they have availability. They will take you out to the Great South Bay for a fee.
Great South bay is great, I don't think NY Kite center provide ride along anymore, I have heard about it and it's not on their website anymore but if they have room you can always call. I'm waiting for after labor day to hit Tobay beach once it's open to non resident...

Let us know where you are going exactly there are many spots. It's a bit tricky in summer with N wind because a lot of the beach on sound and bay are resident only or have pretty expensive fee.

If you are staying with family they probably have some resident beach access on the sound that should work for you.
If you are going to the Hamptons there is Napeague bay.

You can join Facebook group "Northeast #KiteLifeCrew" and ask question with proper location there are people from all over long island on that group.

Not sure where I'll go yet. If it's NW then probably Eaton's neck with semi offshore condition but $30 parking. If NE either I can sneak in Great South bay or find another beach in Longisland Sound that's not too choppy and cheap.

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:47 pm

Long Island is about 100 +miles "Long"with ? 250-300 ? miles of water front ,1/3? of which are ocean beaches with a forecast of swell arriving this weekend .Where will you be?

rmaxwell
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: kitepoint
Style: intermediate

Postby rmaxwell » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:02 pm

I will be staying in the Morris Park area of the Bronx. I assumed that Long Island is the closet place to kite, but I don't know the area at all.

skeelo34
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NYC - long island / great south bay, plumb beach
Gear: 15m/12m flysurfer speed 3
6m,10m f-one bandit 8/9
7m, 12m north evo
mako & cabrinha boards

Postby skeelo34 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:26 pm

NY Kite center does take people out, but it will cost you pretty much what a lesson costs. I've been out with them a few times this summer. You could also go around Oak beach bay side - look it up on maps. The whole bay is more or less chest deep except for the channels and some other areas.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:40 pm

The forecast is usually not very accurate from so far out in the week. 3 days or less is usually reliable . so dont count on that north wind as most days are sw or se in the summer. there are a few website you can go to get more info on spots like the yahoo group -nyckitesurfers- or kitehood website.

Return to “Kitesurfing”