Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Fastest production hydrofoils

Postby gmb13 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:57 pm

foilonfoil wrote:
gmb13 wrote:
foilonfoil wrote:
Do you make this stuff up - Where has there been any mention of Flysurfer Mixer/Pully Line shrinkage?

It's common knowledge. That's why you need to do a mixer test to zero the system. Remember that I used to work for flysurfer. Also there are a number of videos out about this, even from Armin.

--
Gunnar
You specifically said "start shrinking after a few hours of use" and "same for FlySurfer and F-One" and "only kite on the market where pulley lines won't shrink".

All foil kites will have a little give and take over their whole bridle system and the mixer is where you compensate for this. Its not a problem, its the result of a shit load of lines and regular use. The Pulley lines on a FS are not what are being adjusted by a mixer test... If they were, as you know so well, they quick and easy to replace as is the rest of the bridle system on a FS due to LCL's and such.
gmb13 wrote: Be careful about your statements here.
Please!
Watch from 6.00 onwards.

https://vimeo.com/9488886

The Yellow Pulley Lines shrink. You compensate that by adjusting the lines above the pulleys to get the mixer back to zero. This does not happen new Ozone Pulley lines anymore.

This is now getting way off topic. Please start another post for your Ozone bashing and we can continue this there.

--
Gunnar

--
Gunnar

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:31 pm

gmb13 wrote:The Yellow Pulley Lines shrink.

yes
gmb13 wrote:You compensate that by adjusting the lines above the pulleys to get the mixer back to zero.

partially compensate, here is a thread about that viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392205 by me.
gmb13 wrote: This does not happen new Ozone Pulley lines anymore.

I don't believe you. I don't believe Ozone. And I don't believe Ozones line supplier.

Outside of some miracle in materials science :roll: there is one possibility they stretch but don't shrink. Still at some point they shrink from their new stretched state.

But go on please measure those lines and report back what you actually find.
gmb13 wrote:Ozone bashing
:roll: :lol:
gmb13 wrote:With over 120 Hours of use the Speed system stayed zeroed the entire time.
From what I understand Ozone references B against A and C and ignores Z. It is possible to have B and C shrink at a rate so that they will almost always match up. This does not mean they have not shrunk. And of course Z is out of alignment which is a massive performance change for foil kites. Also 120hours is a bit but not a lot.

So one simple question if the pulley lines don't shrink and the mixer doesn't need adjusting on the r1-v2, then why did ozone add mixer adjusters to the r1-v2 and explain how to use them?

Why do I bother.

gurke
Rare Poster

Postby gurke » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:12 pm

foilholio wrote:So one simple question if the pulley lines don't shrink and the mixer doesn't need adjusting on the r1-v2, then why did ozone add mixer adjusters to the r1-v2 and explain how to use them?

Why do I bother.
the lines in the mixer shrink. that's why you need to adjust
Mossy 757 wrote: D) The R1V1 was a total nightmare, complete misfire on the brand's part. I know the best riders in the world are doing well on the V2, but I've watched guys that I know to be better kite flyers struggle with the old R1's and it scared me off them. That might explain some of my unreasonable skepticism about the V2's...

?? flying with the r1 v1 was easy as shit. :) Only the performance downwind was a fail. :(
gmb13 wrote:

Yes. it can be retrofitted to your old kites too. You can order all the parts from your ozone dealer. The new Pro Tune speed system costs 99 Euros, and there is an upgrade kit for 110 Euros. If you just want the pulley lines they cost 15 euros.

--
Gunnar
it is true that you can order any part, but in the past it took up to 3 month to get spare parts. Hope they improve the delivery time.

Does anyone found a "gear list" from china? For mostly all other events there is a list.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:48 pm

Back to hydrofoils...I found this pretty interesting:

https://www.asvperformance.com/collections/hydrofoils

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:49 pm

back to the magical line discussion
gurke wrote: the lines in the mixer shrink.
But Gunnar said they don't.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:18 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:Back to hydrofoils...I found this pretty interesting:
Good find Mossy
I'm not sure how they rate thinks like "look" or "Travel" but some of the other ratings are interesting.

:wink: CG

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:32 pm

I don't understand why they did involve "look" at the chart, but for sure some of these looks pretty sick. It's very subjective opinion. Banga and Sword looks most rad for me. I don't think that helps to win race, but it definitely wins some boobs at the shore.

"Travel" is how much it disassembles.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mig27 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:45 pm

The looks are indeed very subjective, and blur this chart.
Also the other numbers are very close to each other, so basically they are all as good according to this test.

Nevertheless some information at least!
We desperately need some test.
Now I am testing after I buy :p

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:51 pm

mig27 wrote:The looks are indeed very subjective, and blur this chart.
Also the other numbers are very close to each other, so basically they are all as good according to this test.

Nevertheless some information at least!
We desperately need some test.
Now I am testing after I buy :p
I spend way too much time thinking about this crap and researching on the internet. Here's what I can discern:

Heavy wind foils that go really fast when properly powered up:
-Mike's Lab
-Taaroa
-Spotz

Light wind foils that provide an advantage in light and marginal conditions:
-Banga
-Levitaz

Not sure where KFA shakes out, but given the results from the last few events, it seems like race foils have become somewhat condition dependent.

cnski
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby cnski » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:02 pm

Mossy- I appreciate your posts and research into foil racing and equipment trends. It looks like the lighter riders did much better in the light breeze on day 5 in China. The bigger riders who topped the leader board from the strong wind on day 1 were less competitive. No surprise there. F-One and Elf appear to be holding their own against Ozone. It's exciting following the progression.

China Day 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzGTKHT-ZwA

Return to “Hydrofoil”