Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Handicapped Kite Camps

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:44 am

Have a look at this great initiative by Sail United!

What's this project about?
Water sports are for everybody! No matter if Windsurfing for the blind or kitesurfing for people in wheelchairs – the non profit organization „Sail United e.V.“ from Germany is making it possible.

What's the goal of this project?
It should be a matter of course that people with physical or mental disabilities want to learn and perform in fun- and extreme sports, especially in water sports disciplines. They want and can do it, so why not make it all possible? Instead they are thwarted by the lack of special equipment and willing, empathic instructors. Up to now hardly anybody knows that even extreme sports like kitesurfing can be learned and practiced by quadriplegics. „Sail United e.V.“ promotes inclusion in water sports and makes numerous sports like Stand-Up-Paddling, Waterski, Cat-sailing, Wind- and Kitesurfing accessible for people with handicaps. This will help to bridge a divide between people with and without handicaps and supports understanding, acceptance and empathy. It's all about support, team building, mutual responsibility and trust in one's own abilities.

Why should this project be supported?
We want to prove that anybody can learn and practice almost all water sports disciplines. We invite associations, organizations and water sports schools and instructors to show how inclusion in water sports can be successful. The most important issue of this project is, that participants from all over the world get to know each other and start networking and sharing information. Trough media coverage more people get informed and involved so everybody can live their dream of doing water sports.

How will this project be realized?
With the donated money we will purchase a special Sitkiteboard, which will allow quadriplegics and amputees to learn and practice kitesurfing. In case more then the needed amount is being donated, further special equipment for future workshops and camps will be acquired.

Important links:

Crowdfunding: https://www.wir-bewegen.sh/project/wass ... cker-bucht
https://www.facebook.com/Sail-United-eV ... 335605607/
http://www.sail-united.eu
http://sail-united.eu/tv-reportagen/2
1 sail united.jpg

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Handicapped Kite Camps

Postby pmaggie » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:02 am

Great work. My brother in law (now 35 yrs old) is paraplegic due to a motorbike accident, supporting project like this is a real plus for people for whom living is a continuous effort.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:20 pm

pmaggie wrote: ...
supporting project like this is a real plus for people for whom living is a continuous effort.
:thumb:

Bille

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:28 pm

pmaggie wrote:Great work. My brother in law (now 35 yrs old) is paraplegic due to a motorbike accident, supporting project like this is a real plus for people for whom living is a continuous effort.
get him to kite!

I think it is just amazing to see the guys kiting...I just saw a guy on a hydrofoil! They rock!

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.
Has thanked: 0

Postby whabbits » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks for sharing Toby.

I've donated to Wind Sports 4 Wounded Warriors in the US before. They teach and equip wounded vets to kite at retreats. www.ws4ww.org

The last that I talked to them, they were looking for schools to set up chapters throughout the US.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just trying to spread the stoke on a similar group.

Return to “Kitesurfing”