Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gust Tolerant Kite

Forum for kitesurfers
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Gust Tolerant Kite

Postby OzBungy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:09 am

We have been getting some extremely strong and gusty winds lately. Each kiter would come to the beach, ride for 10-20 minutes, then come back to the beach and moan about how snakey it all was. I took my turn as well.

In the past I rode Crossbows and they tended to handle the gusts very smoothly. They would come forward on the front lines, sit nicely forward then drift back in the lulls. We had a relatively inexperienced kiter on a late model Ozone Edge and it looked like it handled the gusts quite well, often compensating for the riders poor kite handling skills.

I am now riding late model surf kites and they tend to come forward quite impulsively, shimmy and shake about, luff to an extent, then drop back into the window. It wasn't terribly dangerous, but it was very uncomfortable. Most of the surf kite riders complained of the same feeling. The surf kites feel a lot more stable with a little back line tension, but then they tend to get overpowered in the gusts and underpowered in the lulls.

So, the question is, can anybody recommend a particular kite that will ride out extremely ugly gusts in a relatively smooth and stable fashion?

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Re: Gust Tolerant Kite

Postby Do-it » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:16 am

late model surf kite????? aren't surf kites new?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:56 am

Late model means recent.

Wainman Rabbits handle gusts really well within relatively short throw compared to many kites, I trust them when wind is shite.
And they drift well as the surf specific kites do now.
But the last time I mentioned a Rabbit kite somebody was whining about bar pressure on the Wainmans, which I don't really feel.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:05 am

Might think about the Ozone Enduro as well. Not quite a Reo but really fun in the waves and evens out the gusts pretty well, too. IMO, of course. And the obligatory demo if you can....

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:52 am

the rebel is so good in gusty conditions, it's a 5 line system with a tensioned fifth line so it's extremely quick to respond to bar pressure and it has a habit of always behaving well both with the bar out and the bar in. I think the characteristics that separate the the winners from the losers in gusty conditions is how the kite behaves as either the wind increases decreases or the bar goes in and out. Ideally everything is perfectly linear, that is with the bar halfway the kite is half power, 3/4 way 3/4 power and so on. It's like in a car when the car turns the same no matter if you are going fast or slow. To do this you want a kite with medium aspect and a short bridle. You also want the kite designers to sacrifice a faster turning kite for a more stable one. disclaimer i dont own a rebel but I have borrowed them a lot.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:02 am

Switchblades and Evos are great in gust, Rebels also but I prefer the softness of the pullies and bridals on SB and EVO. Rebels can be a little unnerving if you are not used to a loaded 5th line....

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:28 am

first of all define gusts. What wind speeds are we talking and what swing or min/max gust to lull.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:21 am

OzBungy wrote:
So, the question is, can anybody recommend a particular kite that will ride out extremely ugly gusts in a relatively smooth and stable fashion?
So I assume you want to be able to dump the surge (or de-power very quickly)?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:15 am

What I want is people with solid experience in riding in gusty conditions to share their thoughts on their kites. I don't think it should be necessary to describe gusty conditions more than I have in the first post. I would have thought experienced kiters would know what extremely gusty conditions are like.

Suffice it to say, some kites move back and forth very elegantly in extreme conditions. Others buck and surge and wobble around but still handle it. I would prefer to have the former.

I suspect I know the attributes of a good gust handling kite. I would like some confirmation from users in terms of models and brands and sizes so I don't have to randomly test kites and wait for those horrible conditions that only happen 3-4 times a year. It's far easier to weed through a bunch of posts than to organise demos of numerous kites.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:42 am

if you can , give a Switchkites Element V4 or V5 a try...they do handle gusts pretty smooth, the V5 has a shorter frontbridle than the V4...both nice flying kites V4 on Switch website in outletstore now...I have 13M 9m 7m 5m 7 and 5m I fly on 20m lines.
cheers
Dude :cool2:

Return to “Kitesurfing”