Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Postby iriejohn » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:44 pm

Icikite wrote:Thanks for your advice. Can I replace it with this shackel?
No, do not use that shackle, it is not designed to operate reliably under extreme load. And as said above, there is in any case no need to use a shackle.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Has thanked: 0

Postby topmick » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:34 pm

Just an update on how my setup is going as we finally got some wind...
Firstly got to unexpectedly test the saftey when I got a bridle wrap on my first self launch using the modified bar. (First time this has happened to me in my 8 years of kiting) After two loops on the beach I hit the green saftey & kite flagged to one front line instantly.
On the water the bar felt just right, with about 27" of throw set by a stopper ball that is just within reach. I think I have my kite (10m Switch E5) set up with max throw before copping some Hindenburgs in light wind.
This mod has really transformed my Switch Controller3 from a heavy cluncky bar to a light (just under 1kg) & much more responsive bar.

Thanks for all the great info on this thread & to the OP for putting it up. :thumb:
IMG_20161018_103443.jpg
Last edited by topmick on Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

RideZeBigOne
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Gruissan
Leucate
Canet en Rousillon
Narbonne
Style: Strapless wave & freestyle
Gear: HB-Surfkite Legion 5m²
HB-Surfkite Legion 7m²
HB-Surfkite Legion 9m²
Anti Biax 5"2
Anti Biax 5"0
Foil Zeeko spirfire XLW
Brand Affiliation: HB-Surfkite
Been thanked: 0

Postby RideZeBigOne » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi,

Here is my contribution : original bar is an Takoon Onyx (or BWS is the same). Chicken loop was removed and replaced by a wichard.
IMO, this configuration is better because it is easier to release the wichard (by pushing the PVC ring) even if lines are not stretched (preventive action).
PVC ring is made in a slice of PVC tube, 30mm diameter. Very strong et easy to shape.

Not tested yet in tall waves, but it works great even in freestyle way:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi RZBO, I used a wichard like yours some years back. Problem I had with it was that it could get easily knocked and released accidentally. The travel is so short.

RideZeBigOne
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Gruissan
Leucate
Canet en Rousillon
Narbonne
Style: Strapless wave & freestyle
Gear: HB-Surfkite Legion 5m²
HB-Surfkite Legion 7m²
HB-Surfkite Legion 9m²
Anti Biax 5"2
Anti Biax 5"0
Foil Zeeko spirfire XLW
Brand Affiliation: HB-Surfkite

Postby RideZeBigOne » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:03 pm

TomW wrote:Hi RZBO, I used a wichard like yours some years back. Problem I had with it was that it could get easily knocked and released accidentally. The travel is so short.
Hi TomW,
I agree with you, maybe replacing the halyard by a bungee (with correct elasticity) might avoid accidental release?
With this setup, it didn't happen yet, but some years ago I was using this wichard in an other configuration and I met some accidental releases (wichard was reversed, so when bodydragging, water could push the ring).
Anyway, my original release system was also releasing accidentally, so I stay watchful ... :-?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:03 am

RideZeBigOne wrote:
TomW wrote:Hi RZBO, I used a wichard like yours some years back. Problem I had with it was that it could get easily knocked and released accidentally. The travel is so short.
Hi TomW,
I agree with you, maybe replacing the halyard by a bungee (with correct elasticity) might avoid accidental release?
With this setup, it didn't happen yet, but some years ago I was using this wichard in an other configuration and I met some accidental releases (wichard was reversed, so when bodydragging, water could push the ring).
Anyway, my original release system was also releasing accidentally, so I stay watchful ... :-?
The way to avoid accidental release of a Wichard Quick Release Snap Shackle is ... do not use one.

As said many times before in this thread, there are more reliable alternatives which in addition do not jam when foreign bodies (such as sand) become lodged in the release mechanism.

It's much the same sort of compromise as the use of Antal and similar low friction rings which reduce friction on the ring surface but friction with associated wear still takes place on the rope. This friction and rope wear is significantly reduced by a non friction roller system where the main friction surfaces are on the inside of the roller and the roller bearing bar.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:34 pm

iriejohn wrote: It's much the same sort of compromise as the use of Antal and similar low friction rings which reduce friction on the ring surface but friction with associated wear still takes place on the rope. This friction and rope wear is significantly reduced by a non friction roller system where the main friction surfaces are on the inside of the roller and the roller bearing bar.
This may be true in theory, but it hasn't proven to work out in practice. Those of us running Antal rings are experiencing no wear on either the ring or slider rope. OTOH, I've seen a couple reports where the pulleys on various sliders have worn out and failed. Given the longevity, performance, and simplicity of the Antal setup I'm definitely not even considering switching to a pulley.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:44 pm

My background is from kite buggying and I have used the witchard for a couple if years now through general use and racing and have never had an accidental release. It is now also on my bar system for my diablos. I've always had a rope as the release but really like the bit of pipe as a pull away type release. Think I'll be kicking that idea.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:54 pm

Bushflyr wrote:
iriejohn wrote: It's much the same sort of compromise as the use of Antal and similar low friction rings which reduce friction on the ring surface but friction with associated wear still takes place on the rope. This friction and rope wear is significantly reduced by a non friction roller system where the main friction surfaces are on the inside of the roller and the roller bearing bar.
This may be true in theory, but it hasn't proven to work out in practice. Those of us running Antal rings are experiencing no wear on either the ring or slider rope. OTOH, I've seen a couple reports where the pulleys on various sliders have worn out and failed. Given the longevity, performance, and simplicity of the Antal setup I'm definitely not even considering switching to a pulley.
If it doesn't happen in practice then the theory is wrong - having no wear on either the ring or the slider rope would confirm this to be the case.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:17 pm

Not necessarily wrong, we may just not have enough data yet to prove one way or another. If you go back and look at my pic on page 34 you can see that I've got no appreciable wear on either ring or line after somewhere between 300-600 sessions. I don't keep track of days but it's been on there for several years.

Return to “Kitesurfing”