Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do helmets save your head? - Survey

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Do helmets save your head? - Survey

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:39 am

be interesting to see results. i got a concussion slamming hard off a kicker.. wakeboarding. I dont think I would have got a concussion if i hadnt been wearing a helmet cos i have taken plenty of similar beatings without. Similarly a friend got temporary paralysis when they hit the water with helmet on - when ridge f helmet hit their neck - a standard protec...

there are 2 categories really - potential to plough your skull into rocks trees beach board reef concrete walls etc very hard.... which really depends on buffer zone, launch scenario and potential equipment/operator failure .... or potential to get knocked out on the water and drown or bad concussion due to extra surface area on impact - this bit is interesting to me......

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:03 am

OMFG kwm... still Troĺling away - unbelievable kookforum poster :shout: :duh:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:46 am

vannibombonato wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:...there is nothing out there that is going to hurt your head.
LetsFlyaKite wrote:Ok then the water is what protects my head from hard impacts
LetsFlyaKite wrote:You never answered my question, do you wear a helmet when you drive a car?
I don't think there's a polite way to say it...the thing is, you are simply stupid.
I think that pretty much sums it up.

It has been pointed out several times that many kiters launch and land in spots that have high wind and lots of hard obstacles or with gear that can split your head, for them it makes sense to wear a helmet.
Others kite in open sandy areas with not much wind, so a helmet may not be needed.
I said the decision to wear/not wear a helmet is one that every kiter is free to make, for me it depends on location and wind.
The only person you can see is yourself, like a two year old unaware that there are other people in the world.
The things you've said so far in this thread are ignorant and after six pages you're still saying stupid shite.
I think you have a comprehension problem.

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby bri7 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:00 pm

There is a simple answer to this question and it is as follows.

Go outside with your helmet on and smash your head against a brick wall, then take the helmet off and do the same. Let us know how you all get on

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:07 pm

bri7 wrote:There is a simple answer to this question and it is as follows.

Go outside with your helmet on and smash your head against a brick wall, then take the helmet off and do the same. Let us know how you all get on
I don't smash my head into hard objects while kiting, I do frequently smash my head hard into water, prefer this to be less stressfull and painfull on my neck.

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:50 pm

Helmets always make my head ring worse when bailing at high speed. I don't have a top class helmet- that may be part of the problem but what I have is rated and is snug. I dont kite where there are rocks but if I did I would wear it. I wear booties when launching off pebbles or shale and a helmet if it's a new spot.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:18 pm

L0KI wrote:
vannibombonato wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:...there is nothing out there that is going to hurt your head.
LetsFlyaKite wrote:Ok then the water is what protects my head from hard impacts
LetsFlyaKite wrote:You never answered my question, do you wear a helmet when you drive a car?
I don't think there's a polite way to say it...the thing is, you are simply stupid.
I think that pretty much sums it up.

It has been pointed out several times that many kiters launch and land in spots that have high wind and lots of hard obstacles or with gear that can split your head, for them it makes sense to wear a helmet.
Others kite in open sandy areas with not much wind, so a helmet may not be needed.
I said the decision to wear/not wear a helmet is one that every kiter is free to make, for me it depends on location and wind.
The only person you can see is yourself, like a two year old unaware that there are other people in the world.
The things you've said so far in this thread are ignorant and after six pages you're still saying stupid shite.
I think you have a comprehension problem.
Nah, you have no idea how any of the beaches are here, and you think the wind blows at a consistant lightwind breeze all the time. That is funny. Another reason why smart people like me don't need a helmet is because I stay far away from rocks and poles, you know, anything that I could possibly hit my head on.

Launching at a beach with rocks and poles? No problem, just take the kite in the water.

See when you play it safe, there is no need for all the protective gear. Kiteboarding is not rocket science, all you have to do is think smart.

But I understand, you want your helmet.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:12 pm

I've never found a watersports helmet which is fully compatible with any of my decent coverage sunglasses. This is my problem with helmets:).

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: California
Style: Free-Surf-Foil
Gear: Slingshot, Best, Duotone

Postby wind chaser » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:34 pm

IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG (87.13 KiB) Viewed 1380 times

RobH
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver, BC
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Island
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Maui Boardriding Cloud .5 with CCS bar
Alex Aguera Freeride board and foil
Ride Engine Harness
Kurtis Surf Goggles

Postby RobH » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:12 pm

corbett wrote:I've never found a watersports helmet which is fully compatible with any of my decent coverage sunglasses. This is my problem with helmets:).
I've used a ProTec helmet with ear flaps with various glasses:
- SeaSpecs (they dig in behind the ears and the lenses pop out)
- Ocean (these broke into pieces on my second day of use)
- Regular sunglasses with strap attached (break easily)
- Kurtis. I use these all the time now - pricey but totally amazing!

My bigger problem with helmets are that they are so darn bulky. I'm not worried about getting knocked out, but more about having a blunt strike against my head that will cut me open and boxing my ears. All the extra padding in my helmet adds bulk which causes huge drag when I wipe out and contributes to major whiplash pain. Would be great if there was a thin helmet to provide protection against cracking the head open as opposed to trying to do that + concussion protection.

Return to “Kitesurfing”