Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: Litewave Twin-Tip Hydrofoil.

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:24 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:....Have you ever seen a twin tip sailboat? ...
Oh YES indeed

and not just one! There is a whole sail boot category of many types, which don't jibe, but go back and forward.

They are the highest performance sail boots of their time, invented and designed by the masters of the sea, who also invented the origin of all our board sports.

It is the "POLYNESIAN PROA" :D

https://www.google.de/search?q=Polynesi ... QQ_AUIBigB

When I get old, I wanna have a selfmade wood hydrofoil proa :lol:

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:41 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Mossy 757 wrote:....Have you ever seen a twin tip sailboat? ...
Oh YES indeed

and not just one! There is a whole sail boot category of many types, which don't jibe, but go back and forward.

They are the highest performance sail boots of their time, invented and designed by the masters of the sea, who also invented the origin of all our board sports.

It is the "POLYNESIAN PROA" :D

https://www.google.de/search?q=Polynesi ... QQ_AUIBigB

When I get old, I wanna have a selfmade wood hydrofoil proa :lol:

A rounded stern does not a bidirectional sailboat make. Notice how the tack of the sail is attached to the bow? Yeah...

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hawaiis » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:03 pm

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:25 pm

there are guys enjoying the waves a lot with a twintip...why not? Great!
Same will be with a TT HF if it works quiet easily. If it is a b**** to ride, you won't see it for long.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:29 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:A rounded stern does not a bidirectional sailboat make. Notice how the tack of the sail is attached to the bow? Yeah...
@Mossy 757: As you see, better first have a clear look, then answer :naughty:

@Hawaiis: Thanks, for the nice explaining video :thumb:

I think the proa develops its elegance more on the track, less in the tack ... or how they call that curious maneuver.

Hope we will find out in which moment the ierofoil develops elegance, for sure also not in the tack. :D

@Toby:
Maybe you are right, as also the monofoil should have huge potential in small and slow waves. Also a twin tip canard as the ierofoil shouldn't have the problem of pulled out stabi, when riding to high, or of too much yaw limitation. I hope it will feel as free as the monofoil but a bit more stable but for sure will be less performant, which all together could be fun, even if not for everyone.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:59 pm

Lots of thread energy but a discussion with Dave a few weeks back and his design is dead - Difficult to ride and poor performance.

IMO when wing aspect ratio and loading have such a massive impact on hydrofoil performance, its hard to imagine how two wings could make a better product... Tacking is fun!

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:06 am

foilonfoil wrote:..discussion with Dave a few weeks back and his design is dead - Difficult to ride and poor performance.
As most of us expected.
For the record, I think all of us appreciate it when people try new things.. even when they fail.

:wink: CG

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Postby Nem0 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:08 am

socommk23 wrote:
Lokihel wrote:No idea what he was talking about, my lip-reading is not good enough.

That second foil he was holding in his hand, has he not heard how disappointing the NKB foil was?

Also, I seriously hope that twin-tip foiling doesn't become a thing. People need to learn how to tack and gybe directionals, or even just forever ride toeside on the one tack.
Couldn't disagree more.
People do NOT need to learn anything other than what makes it fun for THEM.
Fine if it's not for you. Doesn't mean everyone else should do what you think is the right thing to do.

This is the natural progression of the tech in the sport. It will keep evolving and opening up new ideas and opportunities. With your thinking it will grow stale real quick.
100% agree socommk23!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lokihel » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:22 am

I really wonder how these people decided that having a bi-directional boat was the solution.
Looking at the video I am quite sure that it would be much fast to turn the boat around than to move the mast around.

And I won't even get started on the fact that they have to kill every last bit of their momentum to get going in the other direction. And when they are done with that, they are now pointing 180 degree away from where they were heading, so not ideal for sailing upwind.

Obviously in kiting it is different. The kite has to be redirected anyways, and the board carries very little momentum, accelerates very fast, and change direction easily.
But from an efficiency point of view, it is always better to have one end that is meant to go forward.
Therefore if you're not bothered about efficiency, and what versatility instead, a twintip is the way to go.
For efficiency, you have to get a directional.

Foils are about performance and speed, therefore efficiency. It is not hard to guess which kind of travel is most appropriate.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:17 am

Lokihel wrote: boat around than to move the mast around.
Yippie!! :thumb: :thumb:
The very first time I read a certain word used correctly here.
Sail boats and sail boards ( mistakenly called wind surfing) have masts by definition.
Hydrofoils have STRUTS, also by definition!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofoil
http://www.hydrofoil.org/history.html
So sorry to the many who are fed up with my insistence concerning this but as this is a free forum I will choose to combat for
using the correct word mainly out of respect for our founding fathers who would never even considered calling a STRUT a mast!
If one does a very little research it is ONLY because we here in France do not have the word STRUT that it is called MAT, NOT MAST by the way, and the rest of the English speaking world (not all thankfully) choose to adopt it.
If coping is the sincerest form of flattery, the French hydrofoil world should be proud, but please let us use the BEST English word on this English forum.
R H

Return to “Hydrofoil”