Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Liquid Force Solo V1 12.0 to powered for hydrofoiling??

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Frank(ite)
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Domburg
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5 - 7.0 - 9.0 OR Flite 12.0
Cabrinha S-Quad 5'7 - Cabrinha Caliber - Zeeko B&W foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Liquid Force Solo V1 12.0 to powered for hydrofoiling??

Postby Frank(ite) » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:19 am

I (78kg) am looking for a good light wind kite for freeride hydrofoiling with my Zeeko B&W in around 8-14 knots. I can get a good deal on a LF Solo V1 12.0.
Like always there are lot's of opinions which favor the kite or not. I read one opinion which said: "I do not recommend it for light riders on a HF, due to small range between good flight and over power".
I encountered this problem with my Pansh A15 12.0 and sold it after 4 times using it. I do not want to have this problem again and I am curious about your thoughts.

With kind regards,

Frank Lorier

Ulrik
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Hydrofoil,Waveriding
Gear: Shinn BronQ CRB4
Groove Skate 130,
Nobile Kite skim
Kitech FreeRS
Naish Pivot
Gong Unik
GONG KITEFOIL ALLVATOR FREEWAVE

Re: Liquid Force Solo V1 12.0 to powered for hydrofoiling??

Postby Ulrik » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:05 am

I (84kg) found the 12 m too powerful, just sold my V1 for the same reason,+ I only gained approx. 2 knots low end compared to my 9 m Flysurfer Boost.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:36 am

"Too powerful" I dont know, as it definitely starts earlier than most 12m2s :thumb:

But if you want range (depower), and an easy turning smooth kite, it is not the best choice IMO :wink:

It starts really early though so awesome in marginal winds (when you dont want a foilkite that is) :thumb:

8) Peter

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:07 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:"Too powerful" I dont know, as it definitely starts earlier than most 12m2s :thumb:
But if you want range (depower), and an easy turning smooth kite, it is not the best choice IMO :wink:
It starts really early though so awesome in marginal winds (when you dont want a foilkite that is) :thumb:

8) Peter
+1
I don't know if there is a big difference between V1 and V2. I have the V2, same wait as you Ulrik.
The V2 advantages: has an excellent drift, good for Hfoiling from 8 Knots (no need even for downloop on waterstart), still comfortable at 14 knots.
Disadvantages, a bit slow and grunty (but this is good for beginners 8) ).

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:35 pm

So does a good hydrofoiling kite have the same qualities as a good surf/wave kite (in LEIs)?

At my beginner stage (riding on plane both directions, but no luck with transitions) I am having good luck using my Renegade 13 Ltd in the 8 to 14kt range. I am looking for something more docile and gust friendly in the 9 to 10m and maybe a 15m sizes. I considered the Solos, but since they don't really have the light weight advantage that you would think a single strut kite would have (compared to say, a Velocity with more struts) I'm thinking a good wave kite might be the way to go.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:10 pm

KYLakeKiter wrote:So does a good hydrofoiling kite have the same qualities as a good surf/wave kite (in LEIs)?

At my beginner stage (riding on plane both directions, but no luck with transitions) I am having good luck using my Renegade 13 Ltd in the 8 to 14kt range. I am looking for something more docile and gust friendly in the 9 to 10m and maybe a 15m sizes. I considered the Solos, but since they don't really have the light weight advantage that you would think a single strut kite would have (compared to say, a Velocity with more struts) I'm thinking a good wave kite might be the way to go.
Yes, a good surf/wave kite meaning fast turning good drift lots of range and depower (but no grunt) is also what is best for hydrofoiling too, generally.
Except for marginal conditions of course...

The LF Solo 12m2 is actually better than most wave kites this size (they exist) in terms of being able to "hang" in light wind, you should not compare to the extreme low weight of BM Clouds.

Problem regarding 15m2 wavekites is, beyond that such a thing does not exist (to my knowledge), it would be too heavy for hydrofoil use...

For your 9-10m2 a gust friendly kite (like all wave kites are) is spot on though, weight doesnt matter much or not at all, at least not for me :thumb:

Talking average weight of course - rider weight means everything.

8) Peter

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:17 pm

I think you are right. In 2011, the Slingshot Rally was initially for beginners/medium skilled riders, but it turned to be one of the best surf kite but also one of the best HF kite at that time ...

I also found-out that LF Solo was a bit heavy in 9m2 for very my practice of medium/light wind, and I prefered the former Airush One ; (and guess what : the One has a very good reviews for surfing ...)

I made a comparative table for 10m2 kites that you can find here below (I think I already posted it but cannot recover the topic, maybe it is worth a dedicated subject, let me know)
note : it is built from personal researches and riders scales, so it can vary with scales, humidity, sand, ect ... e.g.I do not believe the weight I got for the Catalyst which should be close to a Rally.

Return to “Hydrofoil”