Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Diablo 2 review

Postby JON MODICA » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:13 am

Hey everyone!

I just got my 15m Diablo 2 and wanted to give you my first impressions. Feel free to ask specific questions.

Low end/high end: The first thing you'll notice is that the D2 15m has a much lighter material on the inside of the kite which I didn't think made a big difference until I hit some 7-8knot lulls. The kite feels much "floatier" in these lighter winds and to me made it feel more predictable. Really nice feeling in not ideal conditions. The D2 is a higher aspect kite and feels like it generates much for lift which you can really notice in light winds. In my opinion it gives a better low end experience once you get it moving. I was really blown away with how much you can pull on the back lines without the kite stalling; which is a great feeling in the lighter conditions where the wind tends to stall kites easily.

Turning- Overall it turns similar in speed but the reaction time has improved (it turns without a delay). I did notice it doesn't do as much of a pivot turn. This make sense (as I mentioned above) it doesn't want to stall no matter how much you pull on the back lines. So it might take a little more finesse.

Upwind/downwind angle- Huge improvement here. Really felt like the kite would go further towards the edge of the window going upwind. It was much less effort and make for a better angle. Downwind I didn't notice much difference but upwind has major improvements.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Diablo 2 review

Postby socommk23 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:10 am

I'm assuming you also have the v 1 15m? I am on the market for a 15m kite right now and I'm looking for justification of price that the v2 demands. As they are still making the v1 in 11 and 15m I'm wondering why and if the difference is that big.
Last edited by socommk23 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:16 am

could you please advise its weight on a scale ?

JON MODICA
Frequent Poster

Postby JON MODICA » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:38 am

socommk23 wrote:I'm assuming you also have the v 1 15m? I am on the market for a 15m kite right now and I'm looking for justification of price that the v2 demands. As they are still making the v1 in 11 and 15m I'm wondering why and if the difference is that big.
The materials on the v2 are way lighter and better. Bridals are better material as well. I'm sure the design costs aren't nominal either.

Companies charge what they charge for various reasons. Do the upgrades I mentioned justify the price jump, i don't know... but they are definitely nice from my point of view.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:25 am

JON MODICA wrote:
socommk23 wrote:I'm assuming you also have the v 1 15m? I am on the market for a 15m kite right now and I'm looking for justification of price that the v2 demands. As they are still making the v1 in 11 and 15m I'm wondering why and if the difference is that big.
The materials on the v2 are way lighter and better. Bridals are better material as well. I'm sure the design costs aren't nominal either.

Companies charge what they charge for various reasons. Do the upgrades I mentioned justify the price jump, i don't know... but they are definitely nice from my point of view.
I have the 2016 diablo where it should be the same light weight material on the underside. as far as I know the main changes are aspect ratio, cell count and new bridle desin. Im looking for a back to back comparison of a v1 vs v2.

Phezulu1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Cape Vidal
Style: On the water
Gear: North
Been thanked: 0

Postby Phezulu1 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Slightly off topic, but has anyone else had problems with the Diablo line setup getting hooked up in the pulleys? (at least that's what I think happens). I've taken the Diablo line off my kite now because somehow it gets fouled in the pulleys, and then the kite won't steer - feels like a locked in/super stiff bar - not good. I've tried to see what happens, but by the time I get kite relaunched (almost always ends up in the drink when this happens) the tangle/trapped line has cleared itself.
Hopefully someone has worked it out and found a solution :D

socommk23
Frequent Poster

Postby socommk23 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:37 pm

Phezulu1 wrote:Slightly off topic, but has anyone else had problems with the Diablo line setup getting hooked up in the pulleys? (at least that's what I think happens). I've taken the Diablo line off my kite now because somehow it gets fouled in the pulleys, and then the kite won't steer - feels like a locked in/super stiff bar - not good. I've tried to see what happens, but by the time I get kite relaunched (almost always ends up in the drink when this happens) the tangle/trapped line has cleared itself.
Hopefully someone has worked it out and found a solution :D
I've had no such issues and I use mine for buggy racing and has plenty of sand in the speed system. maybe your not untwisting the speed system before launch? the turbo ring needs to not be twisted for the turbo line to slide without jaming up

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:19 pm

Yeah, take a careful look at it when attaching your lines. My Elf Joker has a Turbo line like that, it's a bit confusing, but never had a problem.

JON MODICA
Frequent Poster

Postby JON MODICA » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:05 am

socommk23 wrote:
JON MODICA wrote:

I have the 2016 diablo where it should be the same light weight material on the underside. as far as I know the main changes are aspect ratio, cell count and new bridle desin. Im looking for a back to back comparison of a v1 vs v2.
The Diablo 2 15m & 18m have a lighter material on the underside then the Diablo1

socommk23
Frequent Poster

Postby socommk23 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:11 am

JON MODICA wrote:
socommk23 wrote:
JON MODICA wrote:

The Diablo 2 15m & 18m have a lighter material on the underside then the Diablo1
I believe that to be wrong. Look at the Web site and it even says that the "v2 has retained the lighter material for the underside that was introduced on last year's v1"
When the diabolo first came out it was the same material top and bottom. 2016 diablo had the light weight material introduced. 2017 v2 has the same material.

Return to “Foil Kites”