Local Beach: Domburg
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5 - 7.0 - 9.0 OR Flite 12.0
Cabrinha S-Quad 5'7 - Cabrinha Caliber - Zeeko B&W foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha FX for waveriding??

Postby Frank(ite) » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:25 am

I am planning to replace my Cabrinha Nomads 7 & 9 from 2012. Would like to stick to Cabrinha while I am very satisfied with the quality.
It needs to be suited for waveriding, but is has to got the ability to boost really high. That's why I did not choose the Drifter back in 2012 after testing it.
Either boosting needs to be signicantly improved on the latest model or I have to compromise.
Does anyone has hands on experience with waveriding the Cabrinha FX? Especially interested in drifting and depower abilities.
On the wave I could use a bit more depower than my old Nomads.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Cabrinha FX for waveriding??

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Try the Drifter

Bradford
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North Shore Massachusetts

Postby Bradford » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:17 am

I own 2014 Drifters. I feel they boost pretty high, but drop like a rock...nearly impossible to land from over 20 feet (btw I have had Dice and a Vegas and found them to be way easier to land). My guess is Drifters are still lousy for jumping.

I would like to know how the FX is in waves too. It seems similar to a Dice, which back in 2014 was a very good wave kite and although i haven't ridden the newer Dices, they are still advertised as being capable wave kites.

Interestingly I have yet to hear anyone say they like the FX for waves.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:18 am

I was riding the 2016 9m Drifter and agreed that it drops you like a rock, but if you're aggressive with redirects it's still a nice landing. Note as much float as my Crossbows but the Drifter is better for the waves ;)

The 10m FX I rode on the foil then the TT. I don't like the feeling of jumping it -- like the front and rear lines weren't in sync--but it was easy to work for power on the foil, and fast.

kitesurfdude
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: 's-Gravenzande, Brouwersdam (the Netherlands)
Gear: Cabrinha FX, Ben Wilson

Postby kitesurfdude » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:38 am

Hi, did you made an choice already? I was riding the Cabrinha Nomad 2010 and later 2012 as wel, really liked the kite and is was working perfect for everything. From there I did go to the Slingshot RPM 2014 because I had the same with Cabrinha drifter, not really covering the freestyle/free ride. With the RPM wave riding was going good and still maintain the freestyle / freeride.

Since last month I jumped over back to Cabrinha with the FX, till now it feels really smooth in the waves and works for me on an wave board. Maybe the difference is that with the FX (and RPM) you have to work an little bit more by steering for speed where the Switchblade/drifter will be more 'stable' in the air and generate speed.

Hope this helps,

Regards Carlos
from the Netherlands

Koura
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Perth coastal playground
Favorite Beaches: Lobitos, Loisels, Derrs
Style: Surfboard
Gear: Boards (I'm a surfer): lost quiver killer 6'1, lost short round 5'10, FireWire alternator 6'2, cabrinha ace 142
Kite: 2017 North Neo 9, cabrinha fx 12, North quad click bar

Postby Koura » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:51 pm

I've had a go flying the 12m fx 2017 on my standard surfboard and find it has great acceleration. It has great top end too, once you get it humming... it loves to rev high.

Trying to steer the kite with slack lines was a bit tricky, but I found it has excellent relaunch. It turns quickly and the bar pressure is proportional to how much you yank it. My previous kite experience is mostly switchblades, but now my goto kite is a neo 9m.

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:27 am

@kitesurfdude Carlos, maybe you can share some more of your experience with the FX as a wavekite? You probably have been flying it some more in the last two months, I guess..

Thanks, Bart (also from the Netherlands)

Return to “Kitesurfing”