Medium Poster
Gear: Best TS
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Downloop while boosting Big

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi everyone, my first thread :D .
Ive been having some issues trying to downloop out of big jumps, i tried them last weekend with around 23 knots in a 9m kite (2016 Best Ts, previously 2015 park) .
The thing is when i try them they just junk me very aggresively with a frontal motion, i think my timing might not be right or its something else. When i watch people doing it the kite normally stays and goes around on the top without going through the power zone.
I jump goofie btw.

Leo

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: Downloop while boosting Big

Postby dylan* » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:19 pm

It's ok if it goes through the power zone, and it will probably pull you a little bit because you are looping the kite. The main thing is that it pulls the kite back into the wind window (instead of being behind you) and it gives you forward momentum again instead of falling straight down. If you loop it while you're falling, it won't pull very hard. But if it does, just point your board downwind and ride through it. The main thing is just to make sure it completes the loop and is going back up toward the top of the window before you land, otherwise you will land very hard. When the kite completes the loop and starts to climb back up is when it catches you.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:23 pm

Are you doing a downloopg big jump transition, or not changing direction ?

As the huge jump downloop transition is actually not that difficult.

Max jump, you have sent the kite somewhat of course - and then around the apex of your jump you pull with your fronthand so it downloops - and you turn the board around so you land the other way a lot downwind :thumb:

It gives a smooth landing usually - and even if a lot of speed, it is smooth, as long as you land downwind and on the new tack.

Dont downloop too early as this will give you problems and you will be "tossed around" :wink:

If you do it landing on the same tack, I have no idea - I never do that.

8) PF
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:24 pm

downloops are pretty gentle. No idea how you are doing this. Do you have some viddies?

Cristiano_Leandro
Medium Poster

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:00 pm

No videos, next time ill try and get some. A guy on the shore told me it was probabbly because i had the bar sheeted in the whole time making the kite go through the power zone.
About the transition, didnt really think about it haha, just pointed the board downwind and hoped for the best. Could it be that i did it too soon and was too close to the apex?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:11 pm

Sounds like what the others at your spot are doing could be heli loops but i could be wrong
Like Peter explains the major advantage of downloops are to transition smoothly with nice speed to an other tack from a high jump
Peter likes to do forward spins on a strapped surfboard with a downloop starting heelside and landing toeside on the other tack
Basically a 540 board rotation with a clean no line twist landing

Cristiano_Leandro
Medium Poster

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:22 pm

Yes indeed they where heli loops, sorry for the misunderstanding. what would be the proper way to heliloop to soften the jump as much as posible?

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:14 pm

Sounds to me like you are just looping too soon. Wait until you start to descend before you start the loop, it's also not important to finish the loop before you hit the water as you are just giving the kite air speed again so even when heading downwards it will generate line tension and soften your landing.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:46 pm

oh heli loops! That's entirely different. The only key to remember between a good strong kiteloop which gives you a yank and a heliloop which doesn't give you any power is that a strong kiteloop is pulled before you reach the top of your jump. That's it. That will rocket you downwind that's the kind I like best. If you want a weak heli loop wait until after you have reached the top of your jump and are descending. Then pull a loop. This will be weak because all the energy in the kite has been used up bringing you up that high. The earlier you start your kiteloop the more power is available for the kite to yank you. The longer you wait the more power has been used up and the kite can't really pull you.

Also do downloops! Downloops are actually better than kiteloops for a super smooth landing because a downloop doesn't require any timing just pull it whenever and you should be good. If you pull a downloop too early it won't yank you the kite just ends up over your head. Downloops are also good for transitions.

Remember downloops are front hand, kiteloops are back hand.

Cristiano_Leandro
Medium Poster

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:30 pm

thanks guys, that makes it more clear. The heliloop would be front hand aswell right? the difference between the heliloop and the downloop in the air would be the position in which the kite starts and if you complete the loop or not?

Return to “Kitesurfing”