For all foil kite riders
coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need help with speed4 dlx please....

Postby coleman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:59 am

Just bought a basically brand new speed4 dlx 8m for use primarily with the hydrofoil. I own the lotus 10m and love it but really didn't enjoy the dlx today and think it may need some bridle tweaking.

Wing tips would fold easily while riding, trailing edge looks crimped and kind of flat (not full of air like rest of cells). And the kite had a real on off feel at the bar. Basically had to ride with the bar pulled in to at least halfway at all times. Kite won't turn when sheeted out past 75-80%.

Seems like there's too much tension on the trailing edge bridles? I've never trimmed a bridle so I have no clue where to start. But I was left thinking that this kite surely must be better than this? My lotus rocks but this kite kind of sucked today.

Help greatly appreciated.
Coleman

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Re: Need help with speed4 dlx please....

Postby windrider1 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:22 am

The speed 4 is a similar to the lotus series but the lotus has an edge over it in power and feel. The speed 4 only has 1 pulley and can be adjusted easily . Lengthen the pulley line on the mixer by adjusting the metal ring a few centimeters this helps with tip tucking on the speed 4. If the pulley ring line is adjusted too long u get stalling and low power . too short and u get a lot of tip tucking. Some small tip tucking is normal on the 4 series but nevertheless u should not have low power issues once u are in the correct windrange for the kite. The speed 4 has a little less power than the lotus of same size so keep that in mind also.

coleman wrote:Just bought a basically brand new speed4 dlx 8m for use primarily with the hydrofoil. I own the lotus 10m and love it but really didn't enjoy the dlx today and think it may need some bridle tweaking.

Wing tips would fold easily while riding, trailing edge looks crimped and kind of flat (not full of air like rest of cells). And the kite had a real on off feel at the bar. Basically had to ride with the bar pulled in to at least halfway at all times. Kite won't turn when sheeted out past 75-80%.

Seems like there's too much tension on the trailing edge bridles? I've never trimmed a bridle so I have no clue where to start. But I was left thinking that this kite surely must be better than this? My lotus rocks but this kite kind of sucked today.

Help greatly appreciated.
Coleman

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:42 am

Thanks for the reply. I'll try that.

Is it normal to have to keep the bar sheeted in at least halfway for it to fly right?

Meaning after about 75% sheeted out it loses power and steering ?

Seems odd.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:28 am

No you should not have any problems with steering and power it should fly and perform like the lotus. check your bar line lengths make sure there are no abnormalities and that they are equal in length then check the bridles to see if they all match up. I'm not a fan of the all equal abcz but try to match them up as u would on a mixer test and then test the kite again . the speed 4 has a little less power than the lotus but they are both great kites..

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:37 am

viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392854 Jakemoore had the same issue with the same kite try contact him. He also posted a video of the problem in that thread but the link no longer works.

viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2393244
viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392853
viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392935

I am sure I could find some more links if you want.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:31 am

So should I start by shortening b or lengthening z?

And where can I find a layout for the bridles on the sp4?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:45 am

The DLX and Lotus are much different kites. First thing I would do is check the mesh inside the trailing edge. I bet it is torn.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:01 am

Yes some of it is torn in fact.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:58 am

It is the triple depower which keeps wing tips loose when not powered enough. Pulling the bar enough activates full power by opening wing tips to full projected area. So it is engineered behaviour. But over time when bridles/lines shrink behaviour might get over from loose wingtips to tip tucking.

If you want to try to limit tip looseness.. If your kite is newer series of STD/DLX there are also adjusting lines inside the kite at the wing tips. Also try the pulley to compensate shrink. It might be when pulley line shrinks tip looseness increases.

In the mesh inside there are factory made cuts - don't consider it as torn unless it clearly shows torn like fabric has threads visible after being torn, clean cut is factory made. But if the cuts are more than 10-20cm (from memory) then investigate more or ask Flysurfer directly.

Lotus-models are totally different kite series (STD/DLX = "Psycho 5", Lotus is evolved Speed 3).

If you need line plans - just go to flysurfer.com. Everything is there. Remember if you measure something it has to be done under 5kg load.
https://www.flysurfer.com/downloads/dow ... lineplans/
==> https://www.flysurfer.com/files/2013/07 ... LP_8qm.pdf

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Wow, a lot of different ideas about the kites here. Lotus and Speed 4 dlx are completely different kites.

I had this problem on both my 8 m and 10 m dlx. What solved it for me was stretching the Z bridles. They should all be the same length, but the white lines at the very end that attach to the kite had shrunk.

The tears in the mesh fabric inside the kite are normal. The kite is made this way. Both of my kites, 8 and 10 m dlx have it and both fly great. My 10 m has extremely porous fabric, but still flies fine. On the 8 m the fabric is like new and I still love using the kite.

The first link foilholio listed is the one to follow to solve your problem.

Return to “Foil Kites”